Author Topic: Northern Exposure: Winter Maintenance for Maximizing Mileage  (Read 3813 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Northern Exposure: Winter Maintenance for Maximizing Mileage
« on: February 04, 2013, 06:28:57 am »

Justin offers a few tips for keeping your car running efficiently when the weather turns cold.

Read More...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: Northern Exposure: Winter Maintenance for Maximizing Mileage
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 10:58:00 am »
Oddly no mention of "winter gas", the mileage on my vehicles takes about a 10% drop as soon as the reformulated gas comes out in the fall.
Mr Pickypants

Offline MR2Pritch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +30/-45
    • View Profile
  • Cars: I-Mark, 240sx, MR2 GTS
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 11:46:20 am »
that could be all sorts of things...colder temperatures, installation of winter tires, a change in driving habits? etc...

I wonder if winter gas would actually cause an engine to use more of it by its formulation, though I doubt it. Anyone else experienced this?

Offline Danno001

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-45
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 11:51:01 am »

I wonder if winter gas would actually cause an engine to use more of it by its formulation, though I doubt it. Anyone else experienced this?

I deal quite a bit with fuel companies and yes they have confirmed when asked that the formulation for winter is "lighter" and contains less BTUs per liter, which means you use more of it to travel the same distance vs. summer blend. They would not give details beyond that.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 11:57:28 am »
The easy way to make winter gas is to add a bit more ethanol and/or some other light fraction.  Less likely to freeze as the ethanol will suck up any water and less btus as well.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline philmcneal

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-12
  • Hypermiler Enthusiast & E-Store Owner
    • View Profile
    • Do you believe that a bidet can increase your quality of life?
  • Cars: 2004 Toyota Prius, Town and Country Minivan, Chrysler 200,
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 12:02:21 pm »
thanks for the formula, i always do km/L to get xx km/L but now i know how to do 100km/L thanks to you :)
The best car is one that is cheap to operate. If you are curious about bidets please visit my web site on how they can improve your quality of life!

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 12:18:56 pm »
I hate winter gas, it's cramping my Mazda 3's fuel economy style, but I guess it's a necessary evil.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 01:41:57 pm »
Good article.

Offline veedog

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Rio
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 01:35:59 pm »

How does the "use electrical accessories like the heater and the lights more often" raise gas consumption in winter?  The alternator doesn't adjust to usage does it?   ???

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 03:28:45 pm »

How does the "use electrical accessories like the heater and the lights more often" raise gas consumption in winter?  The alternator doesn't adjust to usage does it?   ???

Of course the alternator adjusts to load, add more load and it gets harder to turn as it has to supply more current.  Voltage will stay the same.
But, the load is relatively really not a lot.  Even an alternator putting out 100 amps would only require about 2 or 3 hp.  AC uses up far more power in the summer.

Offline chrone

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 03:05:36 am »
that could be all sorts of things...colder temperatures, installation of winter tires, a change in driving habits? etc...

Yes, with gas reformulation your car will take more gasoline and you will get less mileage
You can increase the octane by adding a can that you can buy at auto parts (octane booster)

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 05:02:17 am »

Yes, with gas reformulation your car will take more gasoline and you will get less mileage
You can increase the octane by adding a can that you can buy at auto parts (octane booster)

Lol.  That can of crap makes little to no difference.  When they say it raises octane 10 points, it means from 87, you'll be at 88.  15 points means 88.5.