Author Topic: Crack in the tire threads  (Read 4348 times)

Offline qwerty2001o

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mazda 2, 2012Hyndai Tucson
Crack in the tire threads
« on: August 03, 2015, 02:58:52 pm »
hi,
need some collective knowledge on this.

I noticed this on the tires (2011 Mazda 2, Yokohama tires, 185/55R15 82V AVID S34F ). These are the original OEM tires.Notice the cracks inside the threads....
These tires are used for 35k kilometers, in Canada (summer and winter) for about 4.5 years

Are these safe?
is this a warranty claim ?

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: Crack in the tire threads
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 03:05:20 pm »
It doesn't look very good to me.
Take it back to the dealer and see if they will deal with Yokohama for you, if not try a Yokohama dealer for advice on their return policy.
Mr Pickypants

Offline qwerty2001o

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mazda 2, 2012Hyndai Tucson
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 03:09:14 pm »
It doesn't look very good to me.
Take it back to the dealer and see if they will deal with Yokohama for you, if not try a Yokohama dealer for advice on their return policy.

thank you... that's the plan for tomorrow

Offline Canuck

• Noob
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 16 Toyota Highlander 08 Honda Accord Coupe 64 Chevelle 30 Model A Coupe Hotrod
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 03:56:43 pm »
Not much help for the original poster, but maybe informative for others that are experiencing a similar problem.

Had the same problem with the Michelin LTX A/T tires on my 2010 Ford F-150, OEM installed.  Cracks over 3/16" wide and 3/16" deep all across the tread area on all four tires. This was with 30,000 Km on the tires.

Took the truck to Costco a Michelin dealer, but they were unable to do anything for me as the tires were not purchased there. 

Next went to the Ford dealer the truck was purchased from, they wanted to sell me replacement tires but would not warranty as that was tire manufacturer responsibility, told me Without looking at the tires, told me the cracking was caused by (take your pick, they were all referred to during the conversation) Heat, Cold, High Usage, Low Usage and also said the problems were just COSMETIC. 

Next contacted three different Michelin dealers and they all wrote the off as NON WARRANTY, APPEARANCE DEFECT ONLY.  Again telling me that Michelin refer to the problem as cosmetic, even though he admitted the cracks were quite deep.    He also told me that cracking was a known problem in the industry with Michelin and BG Goodrich tires, both Commercial tires and Passenger tires.

My solution, buy new tires myself, just look for a non Michelin/BF Goodrich brand for this purchase and all tire purchases in the future.  This is a household that has two collector cars with BF Goodrich tires, my wife's car with Michelin tires.

The replacement tires also included a replacement vehicle due to other problems with the Ford F-150.  New tires are Toyo brand.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 04:04:35 pm by Canuck »

Offline runwhatyabrung

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 02:01:37 pm »
I had the same thing on an Oldsmobile Alero I had years ago, all 4 tires . Car was still under bumper to bumper warranty and under 30,000 Km  (had BFG of some kind on it). Dealer did not want to replace the tires under warranty until I asked them to sign off the work order indicating that it was safe and OK to drive on these. 30 minutes later after a few phone calls between dealer and god knows who,  I was told to come back in 2 days for brand new tires. 

Offline Bulkley

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Crosstrek, 2023 Leaf
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 09:44:47 pm »
. . .  Dealer did not want to replace the tires under warranty until I asked them to sign off the work order indicating that it was safe and OK to drive on these.

Good strategy. 

Offline capriracer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-2
    • View Profile
    • www.barrystiretech.com
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 08:21:37 am »
2 thoughts:

1)  Tires have a limited time warranty - usually 6 years.  The tires on a 2011 would very likely be too old to qualify.

2)  The tires need to be replaced.

CapriRacer

Visit my website:  www.barrystiretech.com

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 08:34:29 am »
Not much help for the original poster, but maybe informative for others that are experiencing a similar problem.

Had the same problem with the Michelin LTX A/T tires on my 2010 Ford F-150, OEM installed.  Cracks over 3/16" wide and 3/16" deep all across the tread area on all four tires. This was with 30,000 Km on the tires.

Took the truck to Costco a Michelin dealer, but they were unable to do anything for me as the tires were not purchased there. 

Next went to the Ford dealer the truck was purchased from, they wanted to sell me replacement tires but would not warranty as that was tire manufacturer responsibility, told me Without looking at the tires, told me the cracking was caused by (take your pick, they were all referred to during the conversation) Heat, Cold, High Usage, Low Usage and also said the problems were just COSMETIC. 

Next contacted three different Michelin dealers and they all wrote the off as NON WARRANTY, APPEARANCE DEFECT ONLY.  Again telling me that Michelin refer to the problem as cosmetic, even though he admitted the cracks were quite deep.    He also told me that cracking was a known problem in the industry with Michelin and BG Goodrich tires, both Commercial tires and Passenger tires.

My solution, buy new tires myself, just look for a non Michelin/BF Goodrich brand for this purchase and all tire purchases in the future.  This is a household that has two collector cars with BF Goodrich tires, my wife's car with Michelin tires.

The replacement tires also included a replacement vehicle due to other problems with the Ford F-150.  New tires are Toyo brand.

Same story with the LTX A/T's on my brother's truck, but he bought the truck used with these tires on it, so he's been looking around for new tires.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 11:03:29 am »
Mileage isn't relevant to cracking, it's age. Tires dry out with exposure to air and sunlight. A parking lot queen with low kms on it that's been sitting outside in the sun for 6 or 7 years is going to need new tires. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 03:07:27 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 02:04:11 pm »
Mileage isn't relevant to cracking, it's age. Tires dry out with exposure to air and sunlight. A parking lot queen with low kms on it that's been sitting outside in the sun for 6 or 7 years is gong to need new tires.
How about a garage queen 2010 Mazda3 with 3,000km?  ;D

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 02:39:13 pm »
Mileage isn't relevant to cracking, it's age. Tires dry out with exposure to air and sunlight. A parking lot queen with low kms on it that's been sitting outside in the sun for 6 or 7 years is gong to need new tires.

Or the old "they don't make em like they used to" My 1980 Audi with it's original tires aren't cracked as badly as the op's tires. I've noticed modern tires are terrible for premature cracking.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 03:04:28 pm »

Or the old "they don't make em like they used to" My 1980 Audi with it's original tires aren't cracked as badly as the op's tires. I've noticed modern tires are terrible for premature cracking.

Yeah, it depends on the compounds, some tires are much worse than others, some brands are worse than others.
A lot of the natural rubber has been replaced by synthetic materials, I wonder how much this affects cracking?    I don't think we have a compounder at  work with enough experience to ask that question to.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 03:09:09 pm »
Where's capriracer?

Offline capriracer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-2
    • View Profile
    • www.barrystiretech.com
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 08:08:14 am »
Where's capriracer?

See above!

2 thoughts:

1)  Tires have a limited time warranty - usually 6 years.  The tires on a 2011 would very likely be too old to qualify.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 09:42:01 am »
Where's capriracer?

See above!

2 thoughts:

Oops. Missed your post.  :shuffle: