Author Topic: Final Drive: 1997 Subaru SVX  (Read 9450 times)

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
Re: Final Drive: 1997 Subaru SVX
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 01:36:45 pm »
What a pointless article...  Using today's standard to judge a fifteen years old car.
Driving a car with check engine light on for 100km.  ???  It would be nice to find a better condition car.

You obviously miss the point of these Final Drive articles.  I say keep em coming!

Thanks, the next one should be in a month or two for a 1991(?) Mazda Protege

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 02:45:50 pm »
These articles a bit of tounge-in-cheek

REALLY?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 04:04:42 pm »

REALLY?

wot else then Cheeky??? ;) :pimp: :shuffle:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2012, 04:15:10 pm »
Not to sound like a driving instructor , but should't you be checking the steering wheel etc before you start your drive?

You will have to excuse the dummy from Lakehead, he must be GLP flunky  ::)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2012, 12:20:15 pm »
just read it and it's hilarious.  lol.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

ckernzie

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2012, 02:25:10 am »
One of the SVX's huge downfalls was the fact it only came optioned with a 'JDM life expectancy' automatic in N.AM that failed much earlier than what our market expects. We can now get the RHD 5 speed SVX from Japan... swap anyone?
The why of Subaru's 'Park Light' switch...  Subaru has decided you don't want to leave your lights on accidently so they made them turn off when the key is off.  In Japan when drivers get to a stoplight, they turn their engines off but leave their park lights on until they get a green light. Due to the lights turning off automatically with the key, Subaru provides a handy switch to turn the park lights on.  JDM FTW  :)

Offline Old Davy

• Noob
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 97 Subaru SVX LSi - bucketlist toy, 2006 Outback XT - daily driver, 1998 Legacy GT Ltd-sold, Saturn SW2-sold
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 11:22:16 pm »
It's been a year less a day since I drove this particular 1997 home to Stratford from Mike's driveway.I'd long ago decided if I was going to get one as a retirement toy it'd have to be a Canadian 1996/97. The 'Blackberry Dreamship' was in excellent condition with the exception of a few minor fixes. My plan and goal was to return the LSI to original condition.
I got right to it - with the aid of hours of research. Took off the K&N cone filter and put the original airbox back - that solved the engine stutters. ordered from Japan the OEM front corner lights to replace the original ones which had been unsuccessfully cleared by hacking off the lens covers for those Smallcar kits.
Replaced the AC condenser rad which had a big rock hole in it - now blows cold air again as intended.
Replaced every grain-of-wheat indicator and illumination bulb in the dashboard, door and ceiling switches. Moved the 1997 10 CD Kenwood changer from the trunk to the floor behind the passenger seat. Got the Radio Harness connectors from David in Texas, and transferred the pins from a Subaru OEM underseat subwoofer for a seamless removable plug&play re-install and two months ago removed the original Cassette radio to re-route & tidy up the cables for the CD changer control pod - now velcroed to the side of the console by the seatbelt buckle. Replaced all 4 speakers with tri-ax units.Sounds great with that extra bass oomph.
Oh yeah, like every car I've owned I removed the carpets and seats and trims looking for any accident damage evidence - there was none - clean a a whistle except for all the white dog fur - but I did find the missing front mirror and rear washer plastic caps, and a few carpet and trim clips that had fallen down. Also a few screws. Came with two sets of wheels and after this winter I came to love the look of the silver FastWheels so I had the graphite black summer rims stripped and powder-coated in the same dull silver.
Replaced all 3 O2 sensors from Rock Auto and that has cured the engine light that would come on every 50-100 kms.
Repaired all the miniscule roadrash and shallow scratches with Dr Colorchip and you can't detect them anymore. As far as I'm concerned it does not need a re-paint as it positively gleams after a good waxing and buffing.
The car won an award at the Toronto Subaru Club Hypermeet last August and since then attracts lots of attention at all the summer Show & Shine meets I go to in my area.
Car rides smooth, quiet and steady in all waethers and once, just the once, I 'accidentally' reached 210 KM per hour passing a hay truck on a long flat straight two-lane blacktop country road.

The extraordinarily clean interior is surprisingly spacious with all controls within arm's reach. The seats are a Barcelounger dream, comfy and supportive for hours.

Addressing the points Mike made in his article, I am a short feller - 5'6" with short legs - and have the seat at it's uppermost height with 2" between the roof and my bald noggin so I can see over the hood. adjusted the steering wheel so I can see the turn signal indicators. Yes, the car os one of the lowest cars on the road at 50" but I like that feeling I'm slipping through the airstream ljke a bar of wet soap.

The biggest body protrusion is the rear wiper and I suspect the spoiler is there to help disguise it's placement. Even the power antenna fender nipple is a streamlined pod. i have a disable switch in the trunk as I do not need the power antenna to pull in FM radio stations because of the one in the backlight.
Yeah, the Manual button on the gearshift is kinda redundant.
I have experienced the loud thump from the sunroof panel but it only happens when a large transport truck passes you in the oncoming lane on a sideways wind kind of situation. It lifts from the pressure wave and thumps back down.

Having addressed the dismal cupholders situation with a small twocup caddy Velcro ed to the console in front of the parking brake handle, I would never risk spilling anything in the pristine interior or pass anything though the windows other than my passport at the border. I also park the car well away from others and walk in to the coffee shop.

Every Subaru Dealership I've had the car at (for parts sometimes and oil filters) are too young to know the car as well as I do, having downloaded and printed the complete Service Manuals and how-tos from the two SVX Owners sites.

In the past year have put 7500 problem-free kilometers on the odo  with a few long distance trips to Manitoulin Island and over to Winnipeg. I daily drive the car in good weather every chance I get and it gets more use than my 2006 OBXT.
The design is so sleek and seamless I marvel every day at it's sublime beauty. How many cars can you name that are essentially Car Show Concepts built for average consumers?
I'm a happy lucky feller to have scored the Blackberry Dreamship.
The only quibble I have with the SVX is the lack of a glass sunroof...but I'm working on having a glass panel inserted into a spare moon roof panel I have.
I can explain it to you. I cannot understand it for you.

Northernridge

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 11:32:36 pm »
Great story...always nice to read posts from such enthusiastic car owners.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 11:37:46 pm »
Nice!  Good to hear the car went to a good home.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 11:37:54 pm »
Great stuff!!  Love the DIY work!  Congrats!

And welcome!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2013, 11:54:47 pm »
 :thumbup: :thumbup: Looks great!  More pics please!
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2013, 09:42:46 am »
I second that, more pictures please!

great to get an update on that car. I'll never forget that interior.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2013, 10:16:54 am »
Fantastic update!! Welcome to the site and yeah, please more pictures!!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2013, 10:23:03 am »
Thanks for the update Old Davy!
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2013, 12:31:25 pm »
Nice work Old Davy, thanks for posting!