Author Topic: Housing  (Read 925979 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Housing
« Reply #2860 on: April 20, 2018, 07:56:26 am »
I'm executor and selling the house in TO. The estate will be split three ways, and I'm looking to get out of Dodge City. Right now, I'm leaning towards eastern Ontario, specifically Kingston, Ganonoque, Brockville out to Prescott. That said, I've always loved the Maritimes. My Mother was born and raised in St Andrews (by-the-sea) New Brunswick, and we visited every summer as a child there. I've toured Nova Scotia and two of the best touring holidays I've ever experienced were spent cruising around Cape Breton.

So I may be looking for ideas.  ;D
I know someone in Amherstview who probably will be selling

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #2861 on: April 20, 2018, 10:58:18 am »
So you took a job in Edmonton or buying a house first and then looking?

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #2862 on: April 20, 2018, 11:02:48 am »
I'm executor and selling the house in TO. The estate will be split three ways, and I'm looking to get out of Dodge City. Right now, I'm leaning towards eastern Ontario, specifically Kingston, Ganonoque, Brockville out to Prescott. That said, I've always loved the Maritimes. My Mother was born and raised in St Andrews (by-the-sea) New Brunswick, and we visited every summer as a child there. I've toured Nova Scotia and two of the best touring holidays I've ever experienced were spent cruising around Cape Breton.

Let me know if I can help with any Kingston info.   Are you looking for city? Suburbs?  Country?
Mr Pickypants

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #2863 on: April 20, 2018, 02:33:14 pm »
Disney Penguin Club is in town, and a new upcoming motorcycling app "Tonit" has a 4 man operation here. That's all I know of. It's certainly a growing city though, I can count four high rises under construction downtown with a fifth on the way hopefully.

One Water Street under construction, which will take crown of tallest building between Vancouver and Calgary:

Westcorp Hotel, which will take the tallest building crown if they go ahead, some uncertainty with the speculation tax:

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #2864 on: April 20, 2018, 09:29:40 pm »
You could do worse than a house in Kelowna with a cottage in Revelstoke!

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-tweaks-speculation-tax-to-protect-locals-with-vacation-homes-1.3859496

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #2865 on: April 21, 2018, 12:22:45 am »

Nice place!  I go there several times a year for work and my wife and i do several road trips there every summer as it’s only an hour drive from our house.   Lots of land for sale in the area.  You can get a nice southwest facing waterfront lot overlooking the St Croix River and the US beyond for relatively little money.  Quite bleak in the winter months though.

Although I have spent a lot of time in the Maritimes over the years, it has always been during the summer months. A couple of times back in the seventies, I visited my Grandmother during October, but both times, I lucked out with Indian Summer conditions. But, I do remember how quiet it was.

Moving to the Maritimes would be a long shot, but I'm intrigued.

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: April 21, 2018, 01:01:33 am »

I know someone in Amherstview who probably will be selling

I'll send you a PM. Thanks!

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: April 21, 2018, 01:12:31 am »
Let me know if I can help with any Kingston info.   Are you looking for city? Suburbs?  Country?

I've been leaning towards just outside of city/town, but the main issue is I'm single (for twelve years now, and planning to stay that way) and looking for a smaller place, one bedroom plus den or two bedroom to fit my needs. I have a large dog, so townhouse/condo won't work. There are not many smaller places out there. Most are two story with three or four bedrooms, so why pay to heat a second story, I really don't need? Especially, when a large number of these places are electrically heated? A nice bungalow would be perfect, but they are far and few between, unless I go up market, but I don't want a large mortgage. A nice manufactured home on a large one or two acre lot may be perfect.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: April 21, 2018, 07:39:58 am »

I've been leaning towards just outside of city/town, but the main issue is I'm single (for twelve years now, and planning to stay that way) and looking for a smaller place, one bedroom plus den or two bedroom to fit my needs. I have a large dog, so townhouse/condo won't work. There are not many smaller places out there. Most are two story with three or four bedrooms, so why pay to heat a second story, I really don't need? Especially, when a large number of these places are electrically heated? A nice bungalow would be perfect, but they are far and few between, unless I go up market, but I don't want a large mortgage. A nice manufactured home on a large one or two acre lot may be perfect.
The place I know , 2 story, with a pool ,

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: April 21, 2018, 09:59:55 am »
I also posted this in the "Irritate" thread. Not sure where best to locate it. Anyways...

My neighbor is quite angry I refused his "offer"   to fix my fence that his raised flower beds ruined. Because of his raised flower beds up against my fence, the 4x4s sit in a swamp which have rotted causing them to fall.

He came by the house and rang the doorbell. IQ and I both work nights, so we're sleeping until mid afternoon. He knows this. When we didn't answer, he proceeded to pound/knock on the door. Sigh. I finally answered.

He wanted to know what I was going to do to fix my fence. I again said "nothing" due to the flower beds. He said "it's too late to worry about those now". To which I replied "until there's a solution, I'm not worrying about the fence".

He then went on to tell me about his "great deal" to fix the fence. His wife's nephew would charge "about $2k" to fix it. I'd have to pay half...which probably means I'd be paying (technically) more than half since I'm sure his nephew won't charge him labor. I told him I'm not going to do anything until flower beds are resolved.

He asked me a THIRD time if I was going to pay half...and again...I'm not doing anything until there's a solution to the flower beds. He stepped away, angry.

I hate to be a dick..but I refuse to do anything only to have it rot again. Everywhere else in my yard where no flower beds exist the fence posts are still as new. In addition every time it rains I have shallow standing water along the fence from flower bed run off. Now that's not a huge deal to me, since I don't play in my yard when it rains. But it does take several days to dry.

Will be interesting to see how this shakes out...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #2870 on: April 21, 2018, 10:17:20 am »

There are certainly places like that a few minutes outside of Kingston, they seem to start around $300k, of course everything newer is huge and expensive.   Kingston is on the edge of the Canadian Shield, go North and East and it's granite and forest, the city and everything to the west/NW is farmland and flat limestone.

My place almost fits the bill, but we're only planning on selling in about 3 years.  We're going to "rebuild" our cottage for proper year round and move there.   Waterfront is still fairly reasonable on some lakes around here, I think the place next to us sold last year for mid/high $300s with a fairly large lot.   Nice place across from us sold for $540k as well last year. (Beaver Lake, 25 min north of Napanee)    We live out on a narrow point, great for dogs, low traffic and if they get loose, much easier to find.

I've also lived in NB for my first 20 years or so,   unless you speak Franglais stay away from the northern parts of the province.   You could buy a place there dirt cheap, but you'll be kind of isolated, unless that's what you want.
 I'll visit in the summer.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: April 21, 2018, 10:23:04 am »
I also posted this in the "Irritate" thread. Not sure where best to locate it. Anyways...

My neighbor is quite angry I refused his "offer"   to fix my fence that his raised flower beds ruined. Because of his raised flower beds up against my fence, the 4x4s sit in a swamp which have rotted causing them to fall.

He came by the house and rang the doorbell. IQ and I both work nights, so we're sleeping until mid afternoon. He knows this. When we didn't answer, he proceeded to pound/knock on the door. Sigh. I finally answered.

He wanted to know what I was going to do to fix my fence. I again said "nothing" due to the flower beds. He said "it's too late to worry about those now". To which I replied "until there's a solution, I'm not worrying about the fence".

He then went on to tell me about his "great deal" to fix the fence. His wife's nephew would charge "about $2k" to fix it. I'd have to pay half...which probably means I'd be paying (technically) more than half since I'm sure his nephew won't charge him labor. I told him I'm not going to do anything until flower beds are resolved.

He asked me a THIRD time if I was going to pay half...and again...I'm not doing anything until there's a solution to the flower beds. He stepped away, angry.

I hate to be a dick..but I refuse to do anything only to have it rot again. Everywhere else in my yard where no flower beds exist the fence posts are still as new. In addition every time it rains I have shallow standing water along the fence from flower bed run off. Now that's not a huge deal to me, since I don't play in my yard when it rains. But it does take several days to dry.

I looked into a similar problem a few years back.  Unless rules have changed, you might be responsible for half the cost of a 3 foot high chain link fence, regardless of what fence your neighbour puts up.  Already having a fence there probably complicates things.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #2872 on: April 21, 2018, 02:25:33 pm »

Assuming your side of the story as written is the entire factual Banting's, you have a claim for nuisance in which case he's legally bound to correct his flower bed and then replace your fence. You would not be required to pay any part of that.

I know a lawyer who deals with this :censor: ;)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: April 21, 2018, 05:35:17 pm »

Assuming your side of the story as written is the entire factual Banting's, you have a claim for nuisance in which case he's legally bound to correct his flower bed and then replace your fence. You would not be required to pay any part of that.

I know a lawyer who deals with this :censor: ;)
I already had the by-law officer here and there's no by-law for flower bed placement...which apparently there is in some jurisdiction for this very reason.

That would have made it easy.

I'm also guessing the lawyer you know would cost more than what my half of the fence would cost.. :)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #2874 on: April 21, 2018, 07:36:42 pm »
4 showings today, 9 in total since the listing came up. Nothing schedule tomorrow, yet, so I might be able to relax at home. i was napping between showing and someone came 45 minutes before I expected the next showing time slot to show up. Can't get mad about it because they're bringing perspective buyers to me but to show up unexpectedly when I was in that dazed state of mind was quite something.

You could do worse than a house in Kelowna with a cottage in Revelstoke!

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-tweaks-speculation-tax-to-protect-locals-with-vacation-homes-1.3859496

Ah I wasn't aware the speculation tax didn't apply to homes under $400k. Good to know. I might still want property in BC after we settle in to Edmonton.

So you took a job in Edmonton or buying a house first and then looking?

I have four options but no actual job yet. Our place is just on the market for now. If I don't find a job in Edmonton, we could stay put in Kelowna and buy some old original duplex for the price of a nice renovated single family home in Edmonton.

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: April 21, 2018, 11:44:55 pm »

The place I know , 2 story, with a pool ,

Thanks, but I'm not sure I'm interested in a pool.

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: April 21, 2018, 11:53:37 pm »
[quote author=blur911 link=topic=92253.msg1359916#msg1359916 date=1524320240
There are certainly places like that a few minutes outside of Kingston, they seem to start around $300k, of course everything newer is huge and expensive.   Kingston is on the edge of the Canadian Shield, go North and East and it's granite and forest, the city and everything to the west/NW is farmland and flat limestone.

My place almost fits the bill, but we're only planning on selling in about 3 years.  We're going to "rebuild" our cottage for proper year round and move there.   Waterfront is still fairly reasonable on some lakes around here, I think the place next to us sold last year for mid/high $300s with a fairly large lot.   Nice place across from us sold for $540k as well last year. (Beaver Lake, 25 min north of Napanee)    We live out on a narrow point, great for dogs, low traffic and if they get loose, much easier to find.

I've also lived in NB for my first 20 years or so,   unless you speak Franglais stay away from the northern parts of the province.   You could buy a place there dirt cheap, but you'll be kind of isolated, unless that's what you want.
[/quote]

There are some really interesting places up the Rideau, but having been a city kid for 65 years, a step like that may be a little too much. Probably some place within 20-30 kms of Kingston or Brockville is as far as I want to venture. I think I should start with small steps first.  ;D

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: April 22, 2018, 12:09:27 pm »

There are some really interesting places up the Rideau, but having been a city kid for 65 years, a step like that may be a little too much. Probably some place within 20-30 kms of Kingston or Brockville is as far as I want to venture. I think I should start with small steps first.  ;D
[/quote]

For your square foot needs a "cottage" would do, and might be a great plus if you and your dog like waterfront.   Of course the ones closer to the city are usually more expensive.   Do you have a budget range yet?

There's a new street going in behind my house, all the houses on it are going to be $500k plus, on a 40' lot. :P

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: April 22, 2018, 12:52:44 pm »

For your square foot needs a "cottage" would do, and might be a great plus if you and your dog like waterfront.   Of course the ones closer to the city are usually more expensive.   Do you have a budget range yet?

There's a new street going in behind my house, all the houses on it are going to be $500k plus, on a 40' lot. :P
[/quote]
Is the housing for the workers at the new NG electrical generation plant ?

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: April 22, 2018, 04:43:15 pm »

Is the housing for the workers at the new NG electrical generation plant ?
[/quote]

Nah, I'm nowhere near that.  there are more people working at building it now than will be running it.
However, I seriously thought of applying at OPB Bath, the deadline is in 3 days.   I don't think it makes sense though, I'm 2 years away from retirement where I am now, so if I cash out my pension there and move it to OPG, I think I'd still have to work there 10 years to qualify for retirement.   It would be a lot more money, but years more of working I'd be locked into.
Still, I'm going to ask what my options are at work tomorrow.