Author Topic: Reasonable offer  (Read 7285 times)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Reasonable offer
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2017, 07:22:31 pm »
Update, basically the offer they sent back was full MSRP, but they throw in winter rims and tires, plus some $328 winter package which is basically some rubber mats.  Told him they had to do better than that and they basically said they can sell it no problem with this deal.  Maybe that's true but a demo that is a model year old and over 12,000 Kms should have more off than what I would guess is $1,000 worth of accessories.  But maybe I'm being unreasonable.

are they asking full MSRP, or full "original asking price"? very very different things.

and winter rims and tires are about 1400 for the dealer... and the winter thing they are saying is 328...

if they are truly at msrp, why wouldn't you buy a new one instead of a demo?

My thoughts exactly. I don't think the dealer is asking MSRP for a demo, unless they're high.

It is full MSRP $32,440, same as what is listed online.  The sales person said he'd do the same deal minus the winter rims on a 2017 non demo model.  So it does argue why would someone buy the demo over the non demo.  Either way we moved on.

Some pretty good deals on Nissan Rogues at the moment.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2017, 07:29:08 pm »
my lord... why would you even bother looking at it? heh... when i was a greenpea at the dealership, i used to try and still make a grand over invoice on a demo... they were usually hard to get loaded up vehicles (durango 5.9L r/t's and such), so it wasn't too crazy... but even that would be a significant discount...

all i can say is don't buy the deal, buy the car. to save a grand and get a car you don't like or isn't what you want is a sure way to be unhappy.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2017, 08:10:17 pm »
Update, basically the offer they sent back was full MSRP, but they throw in winter rims and tires, plus some $328 winter package which is basically some rubber mats.  Told him they had to do better than that and they basically said they can sell it no problem with this deal.  Maybe that's true but a demo that is a model year old and over 12,000 Kms should have more off than what I would guess is $1,000 worth of accessories.  But maybe I'm being unreasonable.

are they asking full MSRP, or full "original asking price"? very very different things.

and winter rims and tires are about 1400 for the dealer... and the winter thing they are saying is 328...

if they are truly at msrp, why wouldn't you buy a new one instead of a demo?

My thoughts exactly. I don't think the dealer is asking MSRP for a demo, unless they're high.

It is full MSRP $32,440, same as what is listed online.  The sales person said he'd do the same deal minus the winter rims on a 2017 non demo model.  So it does argue why would someone buy the demo over the non demo.  Either way we moved on.

Some pretty good deals on Nissan Rogues at the moment.

I'd counter with 50% of asking.  If they're going to be stupid, you might as well.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2017, 08:51:03 pm »
Typical Honda :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2017, 09:00:28 am »
Just deal with someone else or a different dealership, if it's possible.

I'd go for the CR-V over the Rogue if financing. Rogue might be okay for leasing since it does not hold value well and the long term reliability is questionable.

I thought the regulars on this forum were more savvy in buying cars than general public?

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2017, 10:29:54 am »

I'd go for the CR-V over the Rogue if financing. Rogue might be okay for leasing since it does not hold value well and the long term reliability is questionable.

I thought the regulars on this forum were more savvy in buying cars than general public?

Ouch, so I mention I'm working with payments instead of MSRP and now I'm an ill informed car buyer.  I think you guys might be getting a bit too harsh. 

To be honest I just don't want to put too much effort into this as it's not my vehicle, I'm not the biggest fan of my BIL, and the only reason I even considered helping is because of my sister.

If it was me and I was set on a CR-V I'd call every dealer from Halifax to Toronto to get the deal I wanted, but it's not my vehicle and I'm not going to put that much effort into it.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2017, 11:07:31 am »
I guess if they're throwing in a set of winter wheels and tires it's not technically MSRP but it's still a terrible deal.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2017, 11:26:17 am »
Seems crazy. My TL was a demo with 12,000KM and I bought it for $15,000 off MSRP and they gave me $24,000 or $26,000 (can't remember) for my three year old American WRX.

But dealers could barely give away TLs after mmret broke the internet complaining about his.

;D

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2017, 11:39:37 am »
I guess if they're throwing in a set of winter wheels and tires it's not technically MSRP but it's still a terrible deal.

That plus you don't have to pay delivery and stuff, which together is ~$3000, so not crazy for an essentially new car.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2017, 12:40:03 pm »

That plus you don't have to pay delivery and stuff, which together is ~$3000, so not crazy for an essentially new car.

Umm, why do you think there isn't any delivery and stuff on a demo?  That is not the case.  The deal was truly full MSRP plus winter tires & rum, and essentially rubber mats.  I'm valuing a set of winter tires and rims and mats at a cost of $1,000 for the dealer.  It's a bad deal considering how many kms are on it and the fact it's a model year old already.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2017, 12:48:33 pm »

Umm, why do you think there isn't any delivery and stuff on a demo?  That is not the case.  The deal was truly full MSRP plus winter tires & rum, and essentially rubber mats.  I'm valuing a set of winter tires and rims and mats at a cost of $1,000 for the dealer.  It's a bad deal considering how many kms are on it and the fact it's a model year old already.

I'm assuming on a demo PDI/Delivery is not charged. After all they don't need to prep the car anymore. I could be wrong though.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2017, 09:52:24 pm »

Ouch, so I mention I'm working with payments instead of MSRP and now I'm an ill informed car buyer.  I think you guys might be getting a bit too harsh. 

To be honest I just don't want to put too much effort into this as it's not my vehicle, I'm not the biggest fan of my BIL, and the only reason I even considered helping is because of my sister.

If it was me and I was set on a CR-V I'd call every dealer from Halifax to Toronto to get the deal I wanted, but it's not my vehicle and I'm not going to put that much effort into it.
All the more reason to give him that key piece of advice let him do it himself instead of spending time writing abbot the dealer's crazy offer.

Just give your BIL the link to unhaggle and APA, and let him find out that the dealer is smoking some cheap stuff.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2017, 10:45:28 am »

I'm assuming on a demo PDI/Delivery is not charged. After all they don't need to prep the car anymore. I could be wrong though.

still charged. if msrp is used/mentioned, it will have those fees. they are just a part of the price of the car.

as for the "ill informed" part... have no fear... i don't mean to offend anyone in here, but i bet many posters are actually "ill informed" regarding the car buying process/experience. much more knowledgeable about the cars themselves and at least what cars to avoid or look at... but the processes seem to be lost on many...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2017, 04:18:16 pm »

All the more reason to give him that key piece of advice let him do it himself instead of spending time writing abbot the dealer's crazy offer.

Just give your BIL the link to unhaggle and APA, and let him find out that the dealer is smoking some cheap stuff.

Unhaggle and APA are only effective when you live near major cities.  Here in NB if you use unhaggle you'll get a call from a dealer 4+ hours away minimum, and the deal isn't really that great.  I know this from experience.

Anyway, he really liked the Nissan Rogue and the price for a short term lease was too good to pass up.  He got a 2017 Rogue SV with moonroof and tech package on a 39 month lease, 20,000 Kms per year, gave him $500 for his trade, winter tires and rims, total payment is $430 per month.  I thought that was a pretty decent deal.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2017, 06:57:37 pm »
Anyway, he really liked the Nissan Rogue and the price for a short term lease was too good to pass up.  He got a 2017 Rogue SV with moonroof and tech package on a 39 month lease, 20,000 Kms per year, gave him $500 for his trade, winter tires and rims, total payment is $430 per month.  I thought that was a pretty decent deal.
when i build that vehicle online, i get $464 all in...so, he is basically getting winter tires/rims and a $34/month discount...the discount works out to $1326 plus winter tires and rims are likely worth about $1200 (depending on what kind of tires and what size they are)...i'd say that's a pretty decent deal...there are TONS of those vehicles around here so Nissan seems to do well with them.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2017, 08:12:15 am »
when i build that vehicle online, i get $464 all in...so, he is basically getting winter tires/rims and a $34/month discount...the discount works out to $1326 plus winter tires and rims are likely worth about $1200 (depending on what kind of tires and what size they are)...i'd say that's a pretty decent deal...there are TONS of those vehicles around here so Nissan seems to do well with them.

Yeah the local dealer had a lot of 2017 Rogues they are trying to clear out.  We didn't negotiate that much off, I think you might have missed his military discount in you build and price you did.  Basically their first offer was just over $450 with the winter tires and rims and we got them down $20 per month which is basically a $780 discount, plus the winter tires and rims.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2017, 09:42:27 am »
either way, it seems like a decent deal...as i said before, at least around here, Rogues are everywhere...i don't really hear any bad things about them, so they must be fairly decent...the new ones have pretty nice interiors as well (seems a bit upscale vs competition).

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2017, 11:01:00 pm »

Unhaggle and APA are only effective when you live near major cities.  Here in NB if you use unhaggle you'll get a call from a dealer 4+ hours away minimum, and the deal isn't really that great.  I know this from experience.

APA and unhaggle can be used to just find out what dealers pay and establish a starting point for negotiation.

That's a decent deal on the Rogue. I see them all over the place here.