Author Topic: 2017 Ford Fiesta ST  (Read 3115 times)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
« on: February 24, 2017, 01:01:16 pm »
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a32726/new-2017-ford-fiesta-st/

Finally some concrete news on what to expect from the next generation of the Fiesta ST.  I'm okay with them dropping a cylinder down to 3 now and the loss of a bit of displacement, as power is the same and torque is up a little bit.  I hope they improved the interior a bit without adding any real weight.  Not a fan of 18 inch wheels being standard but that's the way things are going, ditto the sound being piped into the cabin (something I'm not really a fan of in my R as well).

It'll be on the same platform as the last generation as it was so well sorted to begin with.  Too bad they didn't add a true limited slip to the front but again that's how the car industry is going.  Found it funny that it has cylinder deactivation on this seeing as there are only 3 to choose from.

Online draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
Re: 2017 Ford Fiesta ST
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 01:32:28 pm »
I'd be ok with the slightly smaller engine as well. I wonder if they will bring the 3 door version to north america or if it will stay as a 5 door model only.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 01:41:20 pm »
I'd be ok with the slightly smaller engine as well. I wonder if they will bring the 3 door version to north america or if it will stay as a 5 door model only.
I doubt we'll be getting the 3 door version.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 02:34:14 pm »
It looks to be a lot of fun, but the new interior turns me off.

For the longest time, you all know I'd been wanting one. But after driving the VW Golf, it's harder to like the Fiesta ST. The latter sets your pants on fire, but maybe I'm just getting old- the confort and no-nonsense Golf is probably the better choice. With this new gen-Fiesta, I'm really not feeling the interior or exterior design, especially with the stuck-on-iPad dash.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 03:07:27 pm »

For the longest time, you all know I'd been wanting one. But after driving the VW Golf, it's harder to like the Fiesta ST. The latter sets your pants on fire, but maybe I'm just getting old- the confort and no-nonsense Golf is probably the better choice. With this new gen-Fiesta, I'm really not feeling the interior or exterior design, especially with the stuck-on-iPad dash.

I can understand liking a bit more luxury ride in your fun car.  It's why I chose my Golf R over some other vehicles I was looking at.  I like the idea of the Fiesta ST because of how cheap it is to get a real fun vehicle that is a bit more focused than a regular Golf.  I think the best all around hot hatch is still the GTI but it's hard to beat the price of the Fiesta ST (when employee pricing is on during the summer that is).

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 03:28:19 pm »
I can understand liking a bit more luxury ride in your fun car.  It's why I chose my Golf R over some other vehicles I was looking at.  I like the idea of the Fiesta ST because of how cheap it is to get a real fun vehicle that is a bit more focused than a regular Golf.  I think the best all around hot hatch is still the GTI but it's hard to beat the price of the Fiesta ST (when employee pricing is on during the summer that is).
And see, what gets me is that for maximum fun around the mountain roads where I live, you want a small, agile car and/or motorcycle. You never really get past 120km/h between the curves, which are generally 300-800m apart.

When my friend drove down and I took him on the best roads in the area, basically he used 2 gears in his Golf GTI (Mk7), and the story is the same with my 325i. The German autobahn burners really never get a chance to stretch their legs, hence the appeal of something small and peppy like a Fiesta ST. You can just chuck it into a corner, wind thru the shorter gearing.......

But the Golf just seems so right. No fuss, few irritations. German quality. Nothing to irritate after a hard day at work.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 10:24:18 am »
But the Golf just seems so right. No fuss, few irritations. German quality. Nothing to irritate after a hard day at work.

Wait...what?  Are we on the same forum? Or am I in some alternative universe?  :think:  Since when does FGC = no fuss and "quality"?  I'm so confused.

...and  :ttiwwp:

I like it. Beautiful colour (I'm a sucker for a great blue)...great looking wheels...and supposedly a bit bigger than the current car.  The article says it's the same HP as the 4 cyl, but from what else I've read the Euro car only has 182/3 hp, so the new 3 cyl (that can't sound good, can it? A 3 cyl?  :P) matches the NA market 4.  I'd hope they're pump up the 1.6l to 220 hp...just so I can wish I had a reason to buy one.  And add AWD...'cause why not. 

With this new gen-Fiesta, I'm really not feeling the interior or exterior design, especially with the stuck-on-iPad dash.

That is a particularly nasty bit of ugly isn't it... :-X  It's like a scab...just waiting to be picked off.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 10:27:04 am by BWII »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 12:09:43 pm »
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but word is we might not be getting the new Fiesta at all in North America. There's talk that it will be replaced by the Ecosport.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 12:11:39 pm »

Wait...what?  Are we on the same forum? Or am I in some alternative universe?  :think:  Since when does FGC = no fuss and "quality"?  I'm so confused.

I would say that describes my GTI.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 12:39:08 pm »

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 01:07:59 pm »

I don't understand either, I read all the complaints and such on various North American forums and don't get it. In Europe, German cars mean quality. And our family has had 4 Germans: the first X3, the E90, the VW Tiguan, and a leased E70 diesel. The first three have never produced any serious problems, certainly nothing that interrupted life (tow, catastrophic failures), and the fourth had issues the first year and then kinda settled down a bit (although there remained build quality problems). And actually, my parents sold my X3 to my relatives in NYC and they're loving it (apparently never driving their MDX anymore, lol) .What we're doing right/wrong as owners, no idea.

So to me, German cars are quality. Your results may vary, but for our family they've been good.

Back on topic- no one thinks the Fiesta now resembles a C-max from the rear?

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 02:49:09 pm »

I don't understand either, I read all the complaints and such on various North American forums and don't get it. In Europe, German cars mean quality. And our family has had 4 Germans: the first X3, the E90, the VW Tiguan, and a leased E70 diesel. The first three have never produced any serious problems, certainly nothing that interrupted life (tow, catastrophic failures), and the fourth had issues the first year and then kinda settled down a bit (although there remained build quality problems). And actually, my parents sold my X3 to my relatives in NYC and they're loving it (apparently never driving their MDX anymore, lol) .What we're doing right/wrong as owners, no idea.

So to me, German cars are quality. Your results may vary, but for our family they've been good.

Back on topic- no one thinks the Fiesta now resembles a C-max from the rear?

LOL sure buddy! German cars are the best...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 05:37:53 pm »

In Europe, German cars mean quality.

As has been discussed before, "quality" in Europe is something entirely different than other parts of the world.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 06:17:06 pm »
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but word is we might not be getting the new Fiesta at all in North America. There's talk that it will be replaced by the Ecosport.
Man I hope that doesn't come true because there is a high likelihood that I'll replace the Golf R with the next generation Fiesta ST.

So you are basically saying that Ford will pull a Mazda and not bring the Mazda 2 but bring the CX-3 instead.

Online draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 08:25:44 pm »
Agreed, fiesta st is a front runner to replace the si one day.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 08:43:56 pm »
Man I hope that doesn't come true because there is a high likelihood that I'll replace the Golf R with the next generation Fiesta ST.

So you are basically saying that Ford will pull a Mazda and not bring the Mazda 2 but bring the CX-3 instead.
I find that hard for Ford to do; there are plenty of subcompact competitors like the Sonic, Fit, and Yaris.

Of course, profit margins on subcompacts are razor thin, but to leave the class altogether is hard to fathom.

Online draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017, 09:58:55 pm »
Agreed, fiesta st is a front runner to replace the si one day.

What about the new SI?

Waiting to see final specs/pricing on the new si but I'm not terribly fond of the new styling.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2017, 02:22:26 pm »

So we get none of these?
http://jalopnik.com/fords-new-fiesta-comes-in-four-different-versions-inclu-1789492006

:'( Bummer if that's true.