Author Topic: autoTRADER.ca Announces 2018 Top Pick Awards  (Read 4353 times)

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: autoTRADER.ca Announces 2018 Top Pick Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2017, 03:57:19 pm »
no idea where the V90 love comes from...must be an emotional decision, not a rational one ("hey look, it's shiny and new").

Huh?

Cause it's a luxury wagon with a beautiful design and a stunning interior.

I get it. It also proves to everyone that wagons are still relevant, can be safe, beautiful, utilitarian, powerful, etc. all in a better package than a stupid CUV.

As for the powerplant, there are many reservations, yes. High pressure 4cyl boosted to hell. But hey if it works it works, Volvo usually don't screw up on things like that. Just because you don't like the engine doesn't mean it doesnt deserve a top pick.

I love the V90 for many reasons, but mainly that it thumbs its nose at the current obsession with high-riding jellybean blobs ie the CUV market.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2017, 04:11:21 pm »
And a unproven, highly complicated 4 banger powerplant......

IMO, that it is a 4cyl is blown out of proportion by people who have never driven it.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2017, 04:14:36 pm »

IMO, that it is a 4cyl is blown out of proportion by people who have never driven it.

Thats what worries me, when it blows itself out of its own proportions......
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2017, 04:24:41 pm »

as someone who owns a blown 4, that isn't why i wouldn't buy it...it's the needlessly complex design of it...as well, it has a nice interior, but so do many other vehicles that are $60k+.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2017, 04:30:02 pm »

as someone who owns a blown 4, that isn't why i wouldn't buy it...it's the needlessly complex design of it...as well, it has a nice interior, but so do many other vehicles that are $60k+.

but wagon...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2017, 04:33:27 pm »

but wagon...
nope...still wouldn't...a blown 4 is fine in a $15k Civic, a $30k Chevy or a $40k Kia...i expect something a little more special when spending big money on a premium luxury product, and while this engine is special, it's not in a good way.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2017, 04:35:36 pm »

but wagon...
nope...still wouldn't...a blown 4 is fine in a $15k Civic, a $30k Chevy or a $40k Kia...i expect something a little more special when spending big money on a premium luxury product, and while this engine is special, it's not in a good way.

Minimum of 8 cylinder in a V formation for me to even consider something being called a luxury car.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2017, 04:40:33 pm »
I'm fine with compound boost, but I'd like Volvo to get a few more years under it's belt with them before I'd go that route.

A fair number of anecdotes about poor reliability, but they don't sell in large enough numbers to register on CR. 
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2017, 04:56:14 pm »

but wagon...

Minimum of 8 cylinder in a V formation for me to even consider something being called a luxury car.
it doesn't have to be a V8...a V6 would be nice, a blown 6 would be too...a V8 or blown V8 would also be great...but a supercharged turbo 2.0L 4??...no.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2017, 05:48:14 pm »
The engine is the only thing that holds me back on the Volvo too.  Looks and feels great, but the engine... hmmm.. 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2017, 01:42:05 pm »
The reliability issues with the new Volvos seem to mostly be due to software and electrical systems.  I agree that it is prudent to wait regarding the durability of this engine, but the only major Volvo engine mess-up was the PRV V6, designed in partnership with Peugeot and Renault.  Based on past history, the odds are in favour of this engine turning out to be OK.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2017, 02:31:26 pm »
The reliability issues with the new Volvos seem to mostly be due to software and electrical systems.  I agree that it is prudent to wait regarding the durability of this engine, but the only major Volvo engine mess-up was the PRV V6, designed in partnership with Peugeot and Renault.  Based on past history, the odds are in favour of this engine turning out to be OK.
they have a lot of experience with turbos...their 2.0T doesn't scare me...the 2.0TS, and their 2.0TSH would be something i'd avoid.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2017, 03:48:58 pm »
Rounding out Honda’s hat-trick in this year’s top pick awards, the Honda Accord finally takes care of the one thing that has been Honda’s Achilles Heel – infotainment. With the sportier, sleekerb and more advanced 2018 Honda Accord, the Japanese marque has also presented its best infotainment system in decades. All hail the return of the volume and tuning knobs!
I hope some day I'm referred to as sleekerb.  Sounds boss!

Yeah, it's kinda amazing - I agree with very little of this, but I guess I'm not "award-winning" and so my opinion is like that of a cow's.

I have no problems with Volvo saying, "we're building one engine, and by various tunes, putting out three versions in total."

I'd have to think a LOT of engineering went into that thing if the entire brand is to live and (hopefully not) die by it.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Volvo because of the engine so-equipped.

I would never buy a Cashcow no matter what bullsh!t comment was given about "driving manners".

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2017, 10:27:49 am »
here is my opinion on those chosen and whether i would suggest them. some cars i love, but still wouldn't suggest.

civic, fine. i agree. wouldn't hesitate to have friend or family buy one.

fit? again, wouldn't hesitate to suggest, but less love for this one. don't love the styling and a few other small hatches would also get me to suggest a look.

accord, yep. with the redesign, for sure would be what i suggest in that category.

the qashqai, i've seen a few in the wild... but they didn't stand out at all... with that goofy name i expect something that stands out... this one is invisible. i also have not a huge amount of love for what i deem "the chrysler of japanese cars".

atlas... wouldn't suggest it. maybe if it leased well. i find it boring to look at, and considering every customer i have had who was cross-shopping it with jeeps/durangos went with my product... just solidifies my stance (or means i'm just fricken awesome at my job).

f150... meh. truck is one category that my suggestion would totally depend on the current pricing and the package the customer/family/friend wanted/needed. i like them all for different reasons. no truck really wins this. even if i like the ford best, if the equivalent ram was 8k less, i'd suggest the ram... if they liked the ram best, but needed more capability, i'd steer them to either of the other big ones.

pacifica. sure. with the hybrid option, definitely. have a hockey teammate picking his up today and a ski buddy picked his up wednesday. if you like the hybrid options, the ontario phev credit makes it a heck of a buy for a nice vehicle. looking for a more basic van though and the usual suspects are worth a look due to pricing.

macan? well... while i would say i like it best, i'm only suggesting it to friends and family who use hundreds as toilet paper. to be honest, this category i would find it hard to suggest a friend or family member buy anything. why suffer poor capacity when you can have more of that for less, while just giving up a bunch of stuff that an "suv" shouldn't be worried about in the first place.

v90... well, again, i don't know how many people i would suggest purchase it, i wouldn't hesitate to look into a lease. lots of style, good capability, and just different. a purchase though? engine... i tell my children there is a supercharged turbo under their bed to scare them at night.

no issues with the mx5. nice that we have choices for performance cars right now and the mazda still does hit the right notes.

cayman... yeah, i can get onboard with that. looks like a porsche should, seems to drive like one should and in the right guise, can either be a beast or quite reasonably priced.

volt, yep. while it isn't my favourite category by any means, i bet this one has the most cars i can at least stand behind. volt, bolt, energi, prius, soul ev, etc.... other than a couple odd ducks, they all seem to be well put together and offer something that equates to a "deal" to me.

xc90 like the v90, lease, ok... otherwise, basically the same thoughts as the wagon.

so yeah... while these choices are all nice cars that we all kind of want... i wouldn't suggest them all. if it is the best car in everything, but just too damn expensive... i won't suggest it. if it is the hottest sex on wheels out there, but the interior sucks... i won't suggest it. if it handles like a dream but the engine leaves me scared... heck no.

i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2017, 12:51:34 pm »
atlas... wouldn't suggest it. maybe if it leased well. i find it boring to look at, and considering every customer i have had who was cross-shopping it with jeeps/durangos went with my product... just solidifies my stance (or means i'm just fricken awesome at my job).

I'm guessing that if they're also looking at GCs and Durangos then they're interested in something more truck-like to begin with.

It's selling in good numbers too, with 4k sold so far in Canada and they broke 5k sales a month in November in the U.S.

To me there's nothing inherently wrong with the Atlas, it's just kind of boring. But that has worked for the Pilot and Highlander so I can't really fault VW for going in that direction.