Author Topic: Thinking of buying a 2010-11 Altima Coupe... Insurance on a Coupe?  (Read 7741 times)

Offline CarFly

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Cars: Good times:) Bad investment ;/
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MG Midget, Ford Falcon, Mazda RX-experimental rotary engine, Pontiac Firebird 350, Yamaha 500cc, Yamaha 850cc, Harley-Davidson LowRider 1340cc, VW Beetle, Mazda 3, Pontiac Sunfire 2.4 GT Coupe
Will I have to pay much more in Insurance rates just because the car is a Coupe as opposed to a Sedan (I'm a middle aged guy). I've heard through the "grapevine" that I will, I've evan heard that the Insurance rates go up if its' a "Black Coupe"   ???

I have asked my Insurance Broker (who is a personal friend) about this and he said... "Just get the Coupe man! You wont get any chicks driving that piece of S%#t that you-re driving now!"

I suppose he is right, but I was hoping for a more analytical answer than that :rofl2:  I guess he knows that I'll pay any crappy rate that he throws at me, because he is a friend LOL.

Perhaps someone out there can answer my question a little bit better than my Insurance Broker did, bearing in mind that I already know that I wont get any chicks driving that piece of S%#t that I'm now driving :-\

Thanks in advance for your advice  :)
LETS' DO THE "TIME WARP"... AGAIN!!!

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
Re: Thinking of buying a 2010-11 Altima Coupe... Insurance on a Coupe?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 07:00:01 am »
Hate to break it to ya dude but driving an Altima Coupe won't get a middle age guy any chicks approaching you in your car either...unless they intend to charge you or have squeegee in their hand.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 07:34:16 am »
   I was looking at an Altima a while back and found a lot of low mileage used vehicles available. Some coups but fewer of this type sold and better used price. Actually nice cars if you fancy a CVT. Not sporty though but there must be many people who don't want sporty...there are a lot around. If looking for used, there was a seat upgrade in 2013 I think; making more comfortable. In response to your friends comments...tennis works...used to anyway.
   Can't see why insurance would be any different. Apart from the shape it's the same car is it not. However there is a more powerful six cyl. which may influence.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 07:37:51 am by Rupert »

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 07:44:54 am »
   I was looking at an Altima a while back and found a lot of low mileage used vehicles available. Some coups but fewer of this type sold and better used price. Actually nice cars if you fancy a CVT. Not sporty though but there must be many people who don't want sporty...there are a lot around. If looking for used, there was a seat upgrade in 2013 I think; making more comfortable. In response to your friends comments...tennis works...used to anyway.
   Can't see why insurance would be any different. Apart from the shape it's the same car is it not. However there is a more powerful six cyl. which may influence.

Seat upgrade in the current gen, nothing for the coupe, actually discontinued.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 09:19:46 am »
Get a slightly older G35 instead.

And best way to find out is get a quote for coupe vs. sedan.

Offline CarFly

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MG Midget, Ford Falcon, Mazda RX-experimental rotary engine, Pontiac Firebird 350, Yamaha 500cc, Yamaha 850cc, Harley-Davidson LowRider 1340cc, VW Beetle, Mazda 3, Pontiac Sunfire 2.4 GT Coupe
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 02:45:29 pm »
Hate to break it to ya dude but driving an Altima Coupe won't get a middle age guy any chicks approaching you in your car either...unless they intend to charge you or have squeegee in their hand.

LOL!!!  ;D

Hmm... Maybe I should just keep driving the "piece of S#*t" so that I have lots of available cash for squeegee gals and "Professionals"  :rofl2:

Offline CarFly

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 03:12:48 pm »
Get a slightly older G35 instead.

And best way to find out is get a quote for coupe vs. sedan.

Yes, the G35 is a very impressive car, and they get very good reviews for build quality and reliability, but somehow I have it in my mind that because its' an Infiniti, I would be paying large sums of money to maintain and service it  ???

Offline phazotron

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Montana SV6
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 09:57:48 pm »

LOL!!!  ;D

Hmm... Maybe I should just keep driving the "piece of S#*t" so that I have lots of available cash for squeegee gals and "Professionals"  :rofl2:

Here a slightly different perspective on something I noticed at the Ferrari Festival.  At the festival, there was a row of really nice Ferraris, a couple of Lamborghinis and one Maserati.  The gender of the vast majority of people checking the cars out? Male.  What I can also confirm is that driving a minivan, it's like being invisible. :hide:

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 07:46:52 am »
(               ::)                   )
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 10:16:03 am by Rupert »

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 08:59:46 am »
I'm paying slightly more for my 4 door Civic than 2 door Bug.  :(

Best to get quotes of what you tickle your fancy first if insurance costs are an issue.

Offline CarFly

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 08:08:13 pm »

LOL!!!  ;D

Here a slightly different perspective on something I noticed at the Ferrari Festival.  At the festival, there was a row of really nice Ferraris, a couple of Lamborghinis and one Maserati.  The gender of the vast majority of people checking the cars out? Male.  What I can also confirm is that driving a minivan, it's like being invisible. :hide:

Your observation is very astute, women don't care that much about status symbol cars... Bless their kind hearts :) My gal doesn't evan mind that I drive a piece of S#^t car, as long as I have enough coin in my pocket to pick up the tab for a 5 Star Resort Vacation in the Caribbean when the snow and cold returns ;)

You are also quite right about the Mini-Van, I might add that a lot of new SUVs' are being designed downwards into Mini-Van looking veichles'. You can spend $30k on a new SUV and come out of it looking like you're a "Soccer Mother"  :rofl2:

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 08:42:34 pm »
I know years and years ago we paid more for my wife's Dodge Shadow 2dr because it was a "sports car" in the insurance companies eyes. Maybe count the fuel door and glove box to get you up to 4drs.  ;D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 09:00:12 pm »
It's about stats.  If two door cars have higher claim rates, then they'll have higher insurance rates.  Two door cars might be owned in higher numbers by young men, and therefore, might have more claims.

But if I'm older and have a clean driving/claim record, why would I pay more for a two door car?

Offline CarFly

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 10:38:30 pm »
It's about stats.  If two door cars have higher claim rates, then they'll have higher insurance rates.  Two door cars might be owned in higher numbers by young men, and therefore, might have more claims.

But if I'm older and have a clean driving/claim record, why would I pay more for a two door car?

For some reason I'm attracted to Coupes :D I suppose I'm a middle aged guy with a young spirit, I just like the look of a Coupe ;)

I really don't feel the need to buy a four door car, it would feel a bit big for me :)

I'll probably get a bit of a break on insurance because of my age and ok driving record, however there are some cars that no-one gets a break on, such as  the Subaru WRX STi 300 hp. My "insurance friend" reminded me that the insurance on cars that are on the "Bad Boy" list never really decreases substantially for the time that you own the car, its' all about Insurance Company liability and big death and injury claims):-\  Unfortunately a car that I'm thinking of buying is on that "list" the Scion TC, its' merely 180 hp, but I guess if you push it too hard, at the wrong time, it can also become a wreck  ???

My "Insurance Pal" never misses a chance to remind me and my other pals that, Insurance rates are HIGH, not just because of expensive repairs and replacement to/of our expensive vehicles, but mainly because of ASTRONOMICAL payouts for death and injury claims, he also says that insurance fraud is a HUGE factor these days and I believe him on this, apparently the insurance fraud "thing" adds hundreds of dollars to our premiums every year >:(
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 09:11:23 pm by CarFly »