Author Topic: Are any of these AWD crossovers actually any good in deep snow?  (Read 18348 times)

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Re: Are any of these AWD crossovers actually any good in deep snow?
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2018, 10:41:48 pm »
Here’s a good example of how our streets look after a big dump of snow...also fun to watch.

https://youtu.be/gd2C9whgOS4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2018, 10:44:20 pm »
Looks normal to me for a storm.   ???
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2018, 11:00:02 pm »
Here’s a good example of how our streets look after a big dump of snow...also fun to watch.

https://youtu.be/gd2C9whgOS4

More or less like my road....but I have lake effect snow/wind.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2018, 11:05:10 pm »
You guys must have some secret sauce then...FWD or RWD with winters will easily get stuck in this.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2018, 11:10:19 pm »
Looks normal to me for a storm.   ???

They don't plow side roads here. And I don't mean they're slow to get them out. They literally don't plow. Ever.

We had somewhere around 30 cms of snow on Sunday/Monday. Buses were stuck. Cars were stuck everywhere. Lord knows how many vehicles went off the road. I was stuck a number of times with studded Winterforces. The car kept getting hung up on the ruts.
The school buses only started running again today.

My street is mostly passable today because a number of us with snow blowers cleared the worst bits, but cars are still getting stuck here and there.

30cms is routine in a big chunk of NB. Here, it's Snowpocalypse. 
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2018, 11:12:00 pm »
You guys must have some secret sauce then...FWD or RWD with winters will easily get stuck in this.

No secret sauce, just experience I guess.   :P

My Q50 would get through that with no issues.  And your cold dry snow is a LOT easier to drive in than our wet stuff on the east coast. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2018, 11:12:26 pm »

Maybe there's lack depth perception...but it doesn't look THAT deep.  Nothing that made me even think it was bad.

Or maybe we just know how to drive in the winter and learned to drive in those conditions without the crutch of AWD to get around.   :stick:

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2018, 11:15:56 pm »
I thought the same thing until I got out here. Nope. Talent doesn't enter into it.

I've had the Subarus stuck in ruts a couple of times. The wheels just weren't touching anything solid. 23cm of ground clearance, LSD, Blizzaks and Subaru's AWD weren't doing anything in that situation. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2018, 11:19:08 pm »
I thought the same thing until I got out here. Nope. Talent doesn't enter into it.

I've had the Subarus stuck in ruts a couple of times. The wheels just weren't touching anything solid. 23cm of ground clearance, LSD, Blizzaks and Subaru's AWD weren't doing anything in that situation.

That didn't look like the situation in the video though...nor would you classify that as a "normal" winter commute either I'm guessing.

And again...if it's truly horrific....why risk your life for work?  I won't.

I had 1 snow day last year.  No snow days this year.  So it seems like every other year, I won't bother if it's bananas out.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 11:24:48 pm by rrocket »

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Are any of these AWD crossovers actually any good in deep snow?
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2018, 11:25:18 pm »

That didn't look like the situation in the video though.

I had 1 snow day last year.  No snow days this year.  So it seems like every other year, I won't bother if it's bananas out.

Like I said...that’s not a thing LOL! You are expected to show up to work, I mean why wouldn’t I go to work because of 20cm of snow!?

If you lived in the US, then snow days are totally normal and acceptable.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2018, 11:27:09 pm »

So you're saying the winter driving experience and winter tires don't enter into the equation at all when driving in Winnipeg?   ???

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2018, 11:34:44 pm »

That didn't look like the situation in the video though.

Like I said...that’s not a thing LOL! You are expected to show up to work, I mean why wouldn’t I go to work because of 20cm of snow!?

If you lived in the US, then snow days are totally normal and acceptable.

It's not a thing here either.  It's me..being smart.  I won't risk my life/car for work.  No job is worth it. And no company will fire you for 1 days off (or so) per season.  And if they do, you work for a garbage company.  So you never take sick days there too?  That also not a thing in Winnipeg?   :rofl2:

Now I generally don't take sick days (fortunately I don't get super sick often)...but I will take a snow day if it's bananas.  And to me, bananas is more than 20cm.  In the last couple of months we had a few days where we ended up with 30+ cm...and I didn't take time off.

Truth be told, the ice storms/icy roads scare me more than snow.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 11:44:59 pm by rrocket »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2018, 11:37:09 pm »

So you're saying the winter driving experience and winter tires don't enter into the equation at all when driving in Winnipeg?   ???

So to sum up:  The people from there tell us they get LESS snow because it's cold there, but at the same time the snow and the roads there are way worse, you can't take days off, and snow tires and skill don't work.

It's an interesting kingdom there!!   :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2018, 11:39:06 pm »

We now get days of freezing rain in the winter thanks to the wild temperature swings, and that is the WORST by far.  I'd rather have 30cm of fresh snow than freezing rain.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2018, 11:40:27 pm »

We now get days of freezing rain in the winter thanks to the wild temperature swings, and that is the WORST by far.  I'd rather have 30cm of fresh snow than freezing rain.

This.

No tire money can buy is good in that situation.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2018, 11:42:16 pm »

They absolutely do, but some days, it isn't enough.

They really don't know how to handle snow out here, at least in Regina and Saskatoon.

In Fredericton or Moncton, we'd get 30 cms of snow overnight, and the streets would be mostly plowed by the time I got up for work. The plows don't budge here until the snow has absolutely stopped. Then they do the primary streets. It can take a few days just to get them cleared. And that's where they call it quits.

The winds are pretty constant, so the snow can get packed into concrete drifts at the surface, but put a car on it, and it breaks through, you're now high centred.

Everyone from the East who comes out here for work can't believe how poorly the roads are looked after in winter.

In the 9 years I've been here, I've seen a plow on my street I think twice. Once was when it was completely impassable and the neighbourhood was raising a stink, and once in the Spring to clear ice away from storm drains.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 11:43:49 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2018, 11:42:39 pm »

+1000.  Living by the coast we get freezing rain very often.  We haven't had hardly any snow this year that wasn't followed up by rain or freezing rain.  Like you, I'd MUCH rather 30cms than the mixed precipitation crap.  That's when driving really sucks.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2018, 11:44:54 pm »
Even snow tires at -25(or -35 in the Peg)  don't provide the grip that they do at -5. For me AWD and ground clearance in my winter vehicles as I love to ski powder and that usually means driving in some real crappy conditions. Would I drive in that stuff for work? Nope.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2018, 11:46:30 pm »

They really don't know how to handle snow out here, at least in Regina and Saskatoon.

In Fredericton or Moncton, we'd get 30 cms of snow overnight, and the streets would be mostly plowed by the time I got up for work. The plows don't budge here until the snow has absolutely stopped. Then they do the primary streets. It can take a few days just to get them cleared. And that's where they call it quits.

The winds are pretty constant, so the snow can get packed into concrete drifts at the surface, but put a car on it, and it breaks through, you're now high centred.

Everyone from the East who comes out here for work can't believe how poorly the roads are looked after in winter.

In the 9 years I've been here, I've seen a plow on my street I think twice. Once was when it was completely impassable and the neighbourhood was raising a stink, and once in the Spring to clear ice away from storm drains.

Why such poor infrastructure?

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2018, 11:47:14 pm »

Why such poor infrastructure?

I have no idea. It's not like property taxes are low.