Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 2905312 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #8840 on: May 25, 2018, 09:43:33 pm »
New rings came in for IQs car. Finally got her new Pirelli PZero All Season Plus on. I have to say, although it's early, this is an impressive tire (it "won" the Ultra High Performance All Season shoot out at Tire Rack). It's sticky enough that you can hear the rocks "pinging" after sticking to the tire. Most shocking is how quiet and smooth it rides.

She's very pleased and so am I.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #8841 on: May 26, 2018, 12:39:32 am »
New rings came in for IQs car. Finally got her new Pirelli PZero All Season Plus on. I have to say, although it's early, this is an impressive tire (it "won" the Ultra High Performance All Season shoot out at Tire Rack). It's sticky enough that you can hear the rocks "pinging" after sticking to the tire. Most shocking is how quiet and smooth it rides.

Didn’t the Contis DWS06 win? Just asking because I’m considering All Season options for my RS given my summer tires are not supposed to be great for wet weather...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8842 on: May 26, 2018, 01:38:14 am »

Didn’t the Contis DWS06 win? Just asking because I’m considering All Season options for my RS given my summer tires are not supposed to be great for wet weather...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, the DWS didn't win.

For absolute performance with no other consideration, the Pilot Sport A/S3 would be the winner.

But add in on road manners, ride, quiet, etc and the Pirelli is the pick.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #8843 on: May 26, 2018, 05:17:07 pm »
Yay,no more front plate on the MR2.

[

« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 03:09:52 am by CanuckS2K »
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #8844 on: May 26, 2018, 09:32:56 pm »

Did you go seasonal or are just taking a chance. We don't have to deal with that ugly front  plate in Nova Scotia. :P
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #8845 on: May 27, 2018, 12:13:55 am »
Fell 2km shy of hitting the big 180...oh well, there's always tomorrow.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #8846 on: May 27, 2018, 03:13:36 am »

Did you go seasonal or are just taking a chance. We don't have to deal with that ugly front  plate in Nova Scotia. :P

I went seasonal.  I've been taking a chance with the S2000 for a decade now with no issues and haven't had any issues but the MR2 draws too much attention to chance it.  Only in NB do you pay more for less when it comes to plates.  :(

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #8847 on: May 27, 2018, 06:55:37 am »
Vaccumed the interior a bit, did the map updates for a couple countries (France, Germany), also filled up the tank with SuperPlus to see if there's any benefit (65 €, ouch). Corrected the tire pressures- dealer had set front and rear at 2,7 bar (!) which is really, for a fully-loaded vehicle so I brought it back down to 2,4 bar front/rear.

Finally got around to editing a couple clips from my first drives last weekend:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16uQktAAahIoL3qPuAA19qqjCdFQiwrH8/view?usp=sharing

The french countryside is just......relaxing. Never feel the need to rush or hurry; kind of the same character of my car as well. Sure, you "can" hustle it, but why ? In German cars you always get impatient at the dimwit in front of you; in this....."meh whatever". Also love the big, hugely VISIBLE signs in France you can see from 500m away !  ;D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 06:58:24 am by mlin32 »
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8848 on: May 27, 2018, 05:32:18 pm »
Washed the Lightning, clay bar and wax.  Then promptly sold it.
How are the used prices on these?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #8849 on: May 28, 2018, 10:21:42 am »
So, I'm not sure where to put this.  It's not anything I did to my car.  It's more of a show and shine, but because it's my cousin's car, it's not worthy of a brand new thread, rather just a simple post.

My Cousin and her husband recently bought a new 2018 Toyota Highlander XLE.  Nice little vehicle.  Seats 8, apparently, although I'd be doubtful that you'd ever actually get 3 kids in the 3rd row. 

They only have one kid at the moment, though, so it's plenty enough vehicle for them.  They plan on keeping it for a good long while.  I told them they made an excellent choice in vehicle if they're going to keep it. 

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #8850 on: May 28, 2018, 10:29:14 am »
So, I'm not sure where to put this.  It's not anything I did to my car.  It's more of a show and shine, but because it's my cousin's car, it's not worthy of a brand new thread, rather just a simple post.

My Cousin and her husband recently bought a new 2018 Toyota Highlander XLE.  Nice little vehicle.  Seats 8, apparently, although I'd be doubtful that you'd ever actually get 3 kids in the 3rd row. 

They only have one kid at the moment, though, so it's plenty enough vehicle for them.  They plan on keeping it for a good long while.  I told them they made an excellent choice in vehicle if they're going to keep it.
yeah overkill certainly for only one kid, but if they plan on expanding the brood, a solid choice that should last them a long, long time
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8851 on: May 28, 2018, 12:13:55 pm »

yeah overkill certainly for only one kid, but if they plan on expanding the brood, a solid choice that should last them a long, long time

I'm not sure if they're having another.  Apparently this one has been a fairly difficult kid (he's a sweetie, but ya know), which may have put her off of wanting more.  But, maybe that won't be the case at all.

Oh Well.  I suppose it's better to buy the vehicle you MAY need, rather than the one that you need now, and have to change in a year or two. 

Either way, they both make good money, so I don't think buying an expensive Highlander was much of a stretch for them.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 02:15:41 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #8852 on: May 28, 2018, 01:45:52 pm »
Washed my car for the first time since the bike accident.  :banana:

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #8853 on: May 28, 2018, 01:47:35 pm »

[

Fook me does that ever look fantastic....front plates can ruin any car.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #8854 on: May 28, 2018, 02:04:29 pm »

My condolences... :'(

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8855 on: May 28, 2018, 02:16:27 pm »
How are the used prices on these?

Considerably better than I thought.  But the buyer needs to be of a certain age and / or know what these trucks are all about.   Motivated buyer and a great guy.

Market prices locally appear to be in the range of $18K to $23K.  Definitely have retained decent value as mine was a 2002.

GT350....maybe.

There better be an R after that GT350...

All kidding aside, I see a guy in my part of town with a GT350, and boy oh boy is it one helluva great sounding car.  Probably the best sounding V8 from an American car, ever.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #8856 on: May 28, 2018, 06:58:37 pm »
Washed my car for the first time since the bike accident.  :banana:

Yay!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8857 on: May 30, 2018, 02:46:52 am »
Discovered that the clutch slave cylinder on the Miata is on it's way out.  I'm heading to the mountains for a couple of days, but taking the Highlander anyway, so no change of plans there.  Will swap both the slave and master clutch cylinders when I get home.

Finally got the Corolla into Costco for the installation of the new summer tires.  New Michelin H-rated "touring" tires, first impressions are good.  Very quiet for an H-rated tire, good ride, but decent handling.  We've been using H-rated tires on the car for most of it's life, tossing the OE tires quite quickly.  It just makes the car feel a bit better overall.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8858 on: May 30, 2018, 06:10:35 am »
Was bored..did the front brakes on the LS.

Man...it's so beautifully designed it's a snap. The bolts for the massive calipers (alloy and light! ) are on the side, so you don't even have to reach in to undo them. A single pin in the middle with a plate and out pop the pads. Soooo nice and easy.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #8859 on: May 30, 2018, 06:31:50 am »
Was bored..did the front brakes on the LS.

Man...it's so beautifully designed it's a snap. The bolts for the massive calipers (alloy and light! ) are on the side, so you don't even have to reach in to undo them. A single pin in the middle with a plate and out pop the pads. Soooo nice and easy.

I changed out my front pads on our GS a while back and found the same thing.  It's the first time I've done my own brakes in years and it was a snap.  Every componenet is massively built and so easy to work on.  These cars are so well designed and solidly built that you really need to live with one for a while to really appreciate the finer details. 

I was talking with one of the Krown dealers a couple of weeks ago and the lady co-owner was telling me that they have one customer that has an older GS that he bought used in Florida, and brings it in every year since for Krowning, and he has almost 600k km on it now, and still looks and runs great.