Author Topic: New All Season Tires  (Read 25460 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
Re: New All Season Tires
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2018, 09:51:34 am »
I'm surprised you didn't like the wet performance of the Premiers.

They get good wet reviews on TireRack - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Premier+A%2FS

Michelin Premier A/S (Grand Touring All-Season, 215/60R16 95V)
What We Liked: Excellent wet and good winter weather grip
What We'd Improve: A small increase in ultimate dry traction
Conclusion: A very good blend of comfort and traction
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2018, 09:57:17 am »
Lasting "forever" is less relevant in lifespan of tires. If you can get 5 years out of the Michelins, which should be easy, then at most he'd be buying one extra set of tires over the lifespan of the car.  Not particularly a pricey investment for better driving and braking performance.

For me, I value hydroplane resistance over longevity.
No way you're getting 5 years from the Michelins.

Have owned them...they wear quick.

"lasting forever" is a big plus IMO. Often it makes a difference between having to buy a set of new rubber in order to sell the car... or not. $500-$1000 is not exactly peanuts.
Ron: you can smoke a set of tires in less than a track day, or in half a day of drving a Supra ;)  Seriously though, wheel alignment and tire pressure can make a big difference in wear.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2018, 10:20:43 am »

What was the mileage and on what car?

Are we talking the same tire?

The Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 is an ULTRA HIGH PERFORMANCE TIRE. They are not made for tremendous tread life regardless of what Michelin says.

Among nearly 450 consumer ratings, the treadwear rating is the worst metric (apart from snow traction, but it's not made for that)...6.5 out of ten.

Trust me...I've owned these tires. This is not your typical all season tire....they lap a track nearly identical to a full on summer performance tire...and that's because of the relatively soft compound.

He needs a standard "touring" tire...or possibly a "grand touring" tire.

FFS..
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2018, 10:31:04 am »

I think I derailed the thread with the LRR Michelins  ;D

(which are exactly the ones OP should get for the Rio)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2018, 10:47:12 am »
I'm surprised you didn't like the wet performance of the Premiers.

They get good wet reviews on TireRack - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Premier+A%2FS

Michelin Premier A/S (Grand Touring All-Season, 215/60R16 95V)
What We Liked: Excellent wet and good winter weather grip
What We'd Improve: A small increase in ultimate dry traction
Conclusion: A very good blend of comfort and traction
And yet, I disagree with both points above - it all depends on which car they're being tested on.  They made the Corolla handle very well, but I didn't compare them side-by-side with others (other than the Firestones the car came with).  FWIW, I find the Bridgestone Turanzas that came on the Mazda3, despite being 7 years old (now 8, but they're in the garage), handle puddles better than the Premiers did.

Puddles are my benchmark for hydroplane resistance since they're by their very virtue where same is most important.  How a tire "handles" in the wet is less important to me than its ability to not go into 4-wheel-no-traction, like my WS80s did on the 401 this winter.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2018, 11:27:44 am »

I think I derailed the thread with the LRR Michelins  ;D

(which are exactly the ones OP should get for the Rio)
Oh, OK.

But many tires now classify as LRR.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2018, 11:53:08 am »
How a tire "handles" in the wet is less important to me than its ability to not go into 4-wheel-no-traction, like my WS80s did on the 401 this winter.

Interesting.  I would reverse that because it's so rare that I go blasting through large puddles yet I often drive on wet roads.

I'd be curious if there are any tires on the market that would do well in the puddles you hit.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2018, 01:09:03 pm »
It's not that I intentionally go "blasting" through large puddles, but in areas of construction (i.e. the 401 perpetually between Toronto and Guelph) there is generally very poor drainage.  Same goes for springtime conditions where sewer grates are blocked by debris and water levels are heightened by melting snow.

The Premiers were fine, quite laudable actually...but their claim to fame is the ability to maintain water evacuation performance throughout the life of the tire.  If that's true, then hydroplane resistance through the life of the tire is sub-par (though at 5/32" it would most certainly perform better than most at the same tread depth).

I'd be curious if there are any tires on the market that would do well in the puddles you hit.
...yes, Nitto's tires blast through all such puddles with aplomb.  The 421Q is the best I've seen, though only available for larger CUV/SUV tires (the RX400h has them, they're unavailable for our generation of Fozzie).  The Motivos (which are on the Fozzie) also do extraordinarily well in such circumstances (and hence why they're on wifey's car - I do what I can to protect her).

Don't take my comments regarding the Premiers to be a "DO NOT BUY" - to the contrary, they're quite good, but they went from "wowing" me to "I'd like to see better hydroplane resistance".

KalTire agrees with me, FWIW:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 01:12:25 pm by No-san »

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2018, 04:10:40 pm »
How a tire "handles" in the wet is less important to me than its ability to not go into 4-wheel-no-traction, like my WS80s did on the 401 this winter.

Interesting.  I would reverse that because it's so rare that I go blasting through large puddles yet I often drive on wet roads.

I've had the Premiers on my civic for a couple years . Have not experienced any hydroplaning issues.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2018, 04:35:59 pm »

I've had the Premiers on my civic for a couple years . Have not experienced any hydroplaning issues.

In H-rated category of all season tires CR gives Premier AS a "good" hydroplaning score, while the only tire that is "excellent" in this test is Nokian Entyre 2.0 which is in the middle down the list with only 35,000 mile tread life. The Premier is 85,000 miles which is actually the longest life there.

Besides Premier the only other Recommended tire is Pirelli Cinturato P7, with even lower rolling resistance but Average in wet braking. 70,000 mile life.
p.s. my CR is from Nov 2017.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 04:41:24 pm by EV Dan »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2018, 04:47:08 pm »

In H-rated category of all season tires CR gives Premier AS a "good" hydroplaning score, while the only tire that is "excellent" in this test is Nokian Entyre 2.0 which is in the middle down the list with only 35,000 mile tread life. The Premier is 85,000 miles which is actually the longest life there.

Besides Premier the only other Recommended tire is Pirelli Cinturato P7, with even lower rolling resistance but Average in wet braking. 70,000 mile life.
p.s. my CR is from Nov 2017.

I have the P7 Plus. 

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2018, 06:45:27 pm »
i think it will likely come down to the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ tires from Costco or the General Tire Altimax RT43 tires from Tirecraft.

for the 205/45/17 size, here are the all in prices:

RT43s from Tirecraft: $729.88
AS 3+ from Costco: $713.16

i'm really not sure which way to go, but i'm leaning towards the RT43s just for the sake of comfort and possibly longer life?

keeping in mind, i have a Rio5 and not a BMW M3 (or a minivan  :P ), which way would you guys go?
just to correct something here...the Tirecraft quote included taxes and the Costco one didn't...so, the revised numbers are:

RT43s from Tirecraft: $729.88 (minus any potential rebates that may be available at time of purchase)
AS 3+ from Costco: $805.87 (minus any potential rebates that may be available at time of purchase)

i think there may be a $40 mail in rebate on the RT43s, and usually every few months the Michelin's have a $70 off deal, but let's leave that out for the time being.

since i know see that the RT43s are a bit less money (not that money is the driving force here), as well as reading some comments here, i think the RT43s might be a better fit for what i want in a tire...i plan on keeping my car for another 4-5 years anyway, so i'd rather not have to replace the tires in 3-4 years if possible.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2018, 06:51:46 pm »

What was the mileage and on what car?

The Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 is an ULTRA HIGH PERFORMANCE TIRE. They are not made for tremendous tread life regardless of what Michelin says.

Among nearly 450 consumer ratings, the treadwear rating is the worst metric (apart from snow traction, but it's not made for that)...6.5 out of ten.

Trust me...I've owned these tires. This is not your typical all season tire....they lap a track nearly identical to a full on summer performance tire...and that's because of the relatively soft compound.

He needs a standard "touring" tire...or possibly a "grand touring" tire.

FFS..
when i look at how Tirecraft rates the tires, the RT43 is listed as a "touring tire" and the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is listed as a "performance all season".

the more i think about it, the more i agree with you (and appreciate your feedback)...i'm not tracking my car, nor do i own a "performance" car, so i'm thinking the RT43s are likely more what i am wanting in a tire.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2018, 07:01:58 pm »
ah crap...and then i go and read this:

Touring tires (RT43):
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ST

Ultra High Performance All Season:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS

in short, here's the breakdown between the two:

Make:  WET / DRY / COMFORT / TREADWEAR

RT43   8.6 / 8.7 / 8.6 / 8.3
AS3+  9.3 / 9.4 / 8.8 / 8.6

judging from those numbers, it almost seems like it might be worth spending the extra bit of money on the Michelins.   ???

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2018, 09:00:25 pm »
Get these
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Vredestein&tireModel=Quatrac+5
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS&
if you can figure out their website, i'd love to take a look at them.

https://www.vredestein.ca/en-ca/car-suv-van/tyre-finder/

despite scoring well above (i did see them already), the reviewers didn't give them as much praise as their scores indicate...also, the mileage in the reviews is much lower than the more established brands.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2018, 09:18:44 pm »
Bear in mind that reviews - the kind that can be posted by humans - can be easily manipulated by companies...hire 100 Chinese @ $1/month and pump up the reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2018, 09:40:05 pm »
Yep. I thought the score was somehow "sponsored". If tirerack can get decent enough tires for half the cost of established brands then ultimately they would be very interested in promoting them. I once worked in retail and we were told to recommend a store specific brand because they were making triple the margin on that stuff. So, who knows....
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:42:06 pm by EV Dan »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2018, 09:42:20 pm »
ah crap...and then i go and read this:

Touring tires (RT43):
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ST

Ultra High Performance All Season:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS

in short, here's the breakdown between the two:

Make:  WET / DRY / COMFORT / TREADWEAR

RT43   8.6 / 8.7 / 8.6 / 8.3
AS3+  9.3 / 9.4 / 8.8 / 8.6

judging from those numbers, it almost seems like it might be worth spending the extra bit of money on the Michelins.   ???

You're reading the numbers wrong.  I know.  I asked Tirerack.  The numbers themselves are how they stack up against those in the same category....not across different categories.

The numbers are only meaningful within their own category.  For example, a Pirelli snow tire has nearly the same rating in the dry as the AS3!! (9.2).  Laughable.  Or the BF Goodrich off road tire has nearly the same dry grip as the AS3! (9.1)  Impossible.  But that's not how these numbers work.  They only work when compared to like category tires.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2018, 10:21:10 pm »
And they're still good numbers. Stop second guessing, you'll drive yourself nuts*.

*I know this because I do it every time I buy tires.