Author Topic: New Lotus Emira  (Read 45796 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
Re: New Lotus Emira
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2021, 03:03:26 pm »
To be fair though, if I was in the market for a Porsche of any kind, I'd be all over this instead.
Really?

A 4 banger vs. a flat 6?

Hard pass on the 4 banger.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2021, 03:05:20 pm »
To be fair though, if I was in the market for a Porsche of any kind, I'd be all over this instead.
Really?

A 4 banger vs. a flat 6?

Toyota supercharged V6 that sounds wicked, vs the Porsche Flat 6? Much tougher call there.

Looks and appeal wise, I would go Lotus no question.

I also would be hard pass on the 4 banger, especially since it is only 2 pedal.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +16/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2021, 03:15:45 pm »
Playing with the configurator really impressed what a gorgeous car this is!

Will it really be priced that much less than the Evora?

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/lotus/evora/toronto/ontario/5_47709834_on20080204113056281/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=3_12_12&pc=L0P%201B0&sprx=100

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2021, 03:27:09 pm »
Really?

A 4 banger vs. a flat 6?

Toyota supercharged V6 that sounds wicked, vs the Porsche Flat 6? Much tougher call there.

Yea but he said he'd want the 4 banger (initially).

Same reason I'd rather the older Boxster/Cayman over the newer 4 banger models.

6 over 4 for me!

I think the Lotus deserves a sexy sound to match the looks..and that won't happen with the AMG mill IMO.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 03:29:01 pm by rrocket »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2021, 03:56:48 pm »
 :iagree:

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2021, 04:53:11 pm »
Well, I’d much prefer the 6/manual over the 4/dct but I could be swayed by price.  For example, it’s quite possible I could go crazy enough to write a cheque for $80k for the 4 banger, but no way would I go $100k even for the 6 manual.  I suspect many people in my position would have a similar outlook.  Also, what about the guys who actually track?  Would the 4/dct make a better track demon than the 6/manual?

If I did have the scratch the harder choice for me would be between this Lotus with 6/manual, or the Boxster 6/manual.  I prefer the open air feel of a roadster but that Lotus looks so damned good! 

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2021, 04:58:39 pm »
Dare I say the Emira maybe a 3rd / track car for those who buy it? As opposed to a 2nd fund car.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2021, 05:41:38 pm »
Not that it matters to us....but I'd say 20 years down the line, the V6+manual will be worth more money too.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2021, 07:32:21 pm »
Dare I say the Emira maybe a 3rd / track car for those who buy it? As opposed to a 2nd fund car.
From all that I have read this new vehicle is supposed to compete with the BMW M2 and Porsche Cayman S, and it is by far the most luxury and livable Lotus in the past 30 years.  So yes it will be great on the track but it will also be very daily drivable.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2021, 11:48:33 am »
Really?

A 4 banger vs. a flat 6?

I already said I changed my mind on the engine, I'd go with the 6.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2021, 12:15:30 pm »
Really?

A 4 banger vs. a flat 6?

But the fact that you even thought about driving a 4 cyl sports car is pure blasphemy. How do you sleep at night.  :rofl2:

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2021, 12:22:22 pm »
Really?

A 4 banger vs. a flat 6?

But the fact that you even thought about driving a 4 cyl sports car is pure blasphemy. How do you sleep at night.  :rofl2:
While mostly true, some sports cars were designed around a 4 cyl engine. S2000, being one. Would not have that car any other way.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2021, 12:32:50 pm »
I honestly hope these get bought in droves, every one they can make. Lotus seems one of the last hopes to preserve the joy of driving for those that enjoy such a thing.

If I was in the market, and had the money, this would be very high on my shopping list.

Maserati MC20 just got slapped.
Unfortunately this might be their last internal combustion engine vehicle that they produce.  They are said to be going full electric going forward.  So I could see these holding their value extremely well over time.

Speaking of Lotus electric, almost 2000 hp and a 9 second 0 to 186mph time for the Evija. 3.5 seconds faster than the Bugatti Chiron. Wow

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2021, 12:46:10 pm »
Really?

A 4 banger vs. a flat 6?

While mostly true, some sports cars were designed around a 4 cyl engine. S2000, being one. Would not have that car any other way.

The fact that Bob constantly bangs on about his old Elise - a sports car built around a 4-banger, tells me that he's perfectly alright with 4 cylinder sports cars.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2021, 12:52:56 pm »
Really?

A 4 banger vs. a flat 6?

The fact that Bob constantly bangs on about his old Elise - a sports car built around a 4-banger, tells me that he's perfectly alright with 4 cylinder sports cars.

And did you know he daily drove it in the winter? :)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2021, 12:53:32 pm »
Really?

A 4 banger vs. a flat 6?

:rofl2:  We love you, Bob, never change. 

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2021, 01:10:57 pm »
Really?

A 4 banger vs. a flat 6?

:rofl2:  We love you, Bob, never change.

LOL. I honestly don't understand North American's fascination with the number of cylinders, like I really don't. It comes up in literally every car review. And yes, I'm perfectly happy with four cylinder engines.  :) And yes, did I say that I daily'd an Exige in multiple Winters.  :P ;D

P.S. I was assuming the Emira came with the same engine as the original GLA AMG, which I really like, but agree that in this case the 6 with a manual 'box would be much better.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2021, 01:12:38 pm »
You know I was thinking about this last night in bed, so Lotus kept the same Toyota 3.5 supercharged V6, and now partnered with AMG for their 2L turbo'd engine, as well as their dual clutch automatic.  You know what I wish they had done instead, went to Audi and took one of their RS engines, either the 2.5 Turbo 5 cylinder or even the 2.9 Turbo V6.  I'm assuming both would work as they aren't RWD platforms and similar to the AMG 4 cylinder.  They should enough space for both as the 3.5 V6 and supercharger isn't exactly a small engine.  Then they could have paired that with one of the dual clutch autos offered by Audi/VW group. 

The only reason I can think why this wouldn't have worked out if the relationship that Audi has with Porsche, and the fact that the Lotus is pegged to be a direct competitor to the Cayman S. 

BMW wouldn't have really been an option just because they typically use a RWD platform and the engine placement likely wouldn't have been ideal, plus again they are a direct competitor with their M2.

But that would have been pretty sweet, either that awesome near exotic sounds from the Audi 5 cylinder or the 450+Hp from the 2.9 turbo.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2021, 01:18:15 pm »
You know I was thinking about this last night in bed, so Lotus kept the same Toyota 3.5 supercharged V6, and now partnered with AMG for their 2L turbo'd engine, as well as their dual clutch automatic.  You know what I wish they had done instead, went to Audi and took one of their RS engines, either the 2.5 Turbo 5 cylinder or even the 2.9 Turbo V6.  I'm assuming both would work as they aren't RWD platforms and similar to the AMG 4 cylinder.  They should enough space for both as the 3.5 V6 and supercharger isn't exactly a small engine.  Then they could have paired that with one of the dual clutch autos offered by Audi/VW group. 

The only reason I can think why this wouldn't have worked out if the relationship that Audi has with Porsche, and the fact that the Lotus is pegged to be a direct competitor to the Cayman S. 

BMW wouldn't have really been an option just because they typically use a RWD platform and the engine placement likely wouldn't have been ideal, plus again they are a direct competitor with their M2.

But that would have been pretty sweet, either that awesome near exotic sounds from the Audi 5 cylinder or the 450+Hp from the 2.9 turbo.

Other than the obvious stuff you've already stated, I think they needed a lower level engine, not a more powerful one. And AMG are known for doing deals like this, same as Lotus charge for their handling and design studio.

I wonder if the Audi one is also heavier, and maybe spins the wrong way?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2021, 01:23:46 pm »
I was looking at Lotus Exige with the Toyota/Yamaha 2ZZ-GE engine. There are two in the country and they're going for $78,000 and $79,000.  :o