Author Topic: DIY seasonal wheel changeover  (Read 31857 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: DIY seasonal wheel changeover
« Reply #220 on: May 30, 2017, 05:12:04 pm »
Well your misfire is due to using the wrong plugs my friend. Stock heat range for that car per several references is a "6". You're still using a "6" with a tune and that's wrong.

You should be using a "7". Also, the BCPR7ES-11 is the correct gap for your car (.9mm), and is also the recommended plug per JZW in their FAQ section.

Denso equivalent to the BCPR7ES-11 is the IK22...and I still prefer Denso over anything.

How strong is your Denso love? Have you used the NGK Laser Iridiums? I am getting ready to do the LR4 's Spark Plugs (no tune on that lol) . I have no drive ability problems but in my experience as I get close to 160 k kms the plugs will still look OK and in spec but they start to "weld" into the head a little. Fresh plugs should be the last set I put in there. I have always preferred the cold rolled threads on the NGK but have also used Denso.

I'm sure for your application, whatever you use should be fine.  The Denso equivalent to the NGK would be the Iridium Long Life IIRC. 

I think for most cars that use aluminum heads, it doesn't matter what type of steel is used on a plug...it's stronger than the aluminum head threads...and ultimately the aluminum will lose the battle if the plug is stuck.

I'm guessing your truck has iron heads??

I know some people that swear by the Autolite XP Iridium.  I put a set in my GS just before I sold it, and they seemed to work fine.  No idea about long term use however.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-433
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #221 on: May 30, 2017, 06:20:52 pm »
The AJ 4.4L in the LR3 was aluminum heads. Not sure about this 5.0L.

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
« Reply #222 on: June 02, 2017, 04:20:56 pm »
Gotta love the internet, I look up this thread on page 1 when NS asks about tools for changing tires and then for fun I skip to page 12 where spark plugs are being debated.  I've changed my own winter/summer tires on two vehicles in my household for the past 12 years and estimate that I've saved probably over $2000.00 by doing so.  Did every tire change with an old scissor jack that I believe came out of a 83 Corolla before I took it to the wrecker.  This year I decided to invest in a trolley jack and proper torque wrench.  Made a noticeable difference in the actual tire changing....now how do I make those tires lighter.....expecially those heavy winter steel rims....man those are unnecessarily heavy....... ;)?   

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #223 on: June 02, 2017, 05:21:41 pm »
This year I decided to invest in a trolley jack and proper torque wrench.  Made a noticeable difference in the actual tire changing....now how do I make those tires lighter.....expecially those heavy winter steel rims....man those are unnecessarily heavy....... ;)?
:cheers:

That's why I bought the floor jack and torque wrench.  I've used the wrench a couple of times already to retorque the wheels on pretty much ever car the family collective owns (with most being woefully undertorqued compared to the manual's specification), and am excited to give the floor jack a try :)

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #224 on: June 03, 2017, 12:23:22 pm »
Gotta love the internet, I look up this thread on page 1 when NS asks about tools for changing tires and then for fun I skip to page 12 where spark plugs are being debated.  I've changed my own winter/summer tires on two vehicles in my household for the past 12 years and estimate that I've saved probably over $2000.00 by doing so.  Did every tire change with an old scissor jack that I believe came out of a 83 Corolla before I took it to the wrecker.  This year I decided to invest in a trolley jack and proper torque wrench.  Made a noticeable difference in the actual tire changing....now how do I make those tires lighter.....expecially those heavy winter steel rims....man those are unnecessarily heavy....... ;)?

When I installed mud guards on my 2015 F250 diesel I had to take the wheels off.  Man are those suckers heavy!  To get them back on the truck I had to put a long pry bar under the tire and level it up in place.  :P
Also, the lug nuts have to be torqued to 150-165 ft/lbs  :o
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: June 16, 2017, 05:32:05 pm »
Am buying these tomorrow:

$160

Selling my Mazda 3 tires because I bought new summer tires and rims! Rims have a few scuffs on them but they are in good condition! Tires are a bit worn out but still have some life in them. I'll let you be the expert!
Cleaning out garage, needs to go!

The woman selling them was quite nice to deal with, so hopefully all works out well.  Hilariously, the rims have the exact tires I currently have mounted on, but mine probably have less wear.  It may be that I run the alloys during the winter, and the steelies in the summer, but we'll see...maybe I'll find another set of alloys for the winter ;D

(as a reminder, just got the Mazda3 - don't have winter tires or rims for it yet since the car was never driven in the winter...steelies cost more than $40 each, so I searched for and found these alloys).

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 17, 2017, 11:25:09 am »
Man, I love a good Kijiji find.

Nicely done.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #227 on: June 17, 2017, 01:26:38 pm »
Dude,

No question you need to run those nice alloys in the summer.  Switch your current tires over to those rims, and sell the New-to-you tires.  You'll be able to get a few bucks out them, which should cover the cost of mounting and balancing. 

Also, you'll be able to use the current steelies and hubcaps on the car for the winters you'll buy in the fall. 

Win-Win-Win.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 19, 2017, 08:57:09 am »
So I did grab the wheels. The tires are done... Maybe 4/32" on two, 5/32" on the others.  Not sure what KalTire would cost to move my current tires, but I'm sure it'd be like $80... I'm still debating just buying new tires since I'll be higher mileage now (daily Toronto commute, maybe taking the train sometimes/working from home whenever possible).

One of the rims has a nasty bit of curb rash - not visibly so terrible, but quite sharp.  I'll have to file it down.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #229 on: June 19, 2017, 09:02:32 am »
^back to commuting from Guelph into the big smoke? No go on Kitchener?

You could have the wheel refinished here... http://www.alloywheelrepair.ca/FAQ.html
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 19, 2017, 11:26:27 am »
^back to commuting from Guelph into the big smoke? No go on Kitchener?

You could have the wheel refinished here... http://www.alloywheelrepair.ca/FAQ.html
Although repair costs depend on the extent of the damage, typical cost to refinish a single wheel will be about $125.00 to $185.00
Yup...the point of this was to be cheap.  I don't care what they look like, so much as whether or not they'll allow the tire to hold air.  This one is a bit sharp so that if I corner a bit too quick and the tire deforms, it may cut into the sidewall.  I just want to reduce the chances of that, so filing it down myself will be quick and easy.

Here's what it looks like:

^^ hardly awful or large.

In any event, I'm not turning $40/wheel into (on the cheap side at $125 to repair the one rim) $75/wheel ($160 paid, plus $125 to fix the rim =  $285 (taxes?)/4 = ~$75/wheel).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 11:47:04 am by No-san »

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #231 on: June 20, 2017, 08:22:22 am »
Definitely use those alloys for the summer.  They're good looking rims...nice find!
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson