Author Topic: why so many low-mileage promaster city vehicles?  (Read 3563 times)

Offline goodsonr

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-5
    • View Profile
why so many low-mileage promaster city vehicles?
« on: April 21, 2017, 04:42:12 pm »
As part of my (hoped-for) long term plan of turning a small cargo van into basic campervan I occasionally look at adverts on kijijijijii for different vehicles.  This time it was the turn for the Ram ProMaster City.

Whaaa .. there are many that seem near-new from 2015.  I have to look hard to find many that are over 2,000km. Why would there be so many low-mileage units around.  Are they that bad (I know the 2.4 engine + 9-sp doesn't get favourable comments their other vehicles)?  Is the Alberta market so depressed business aren't buying and dealers over-bought .. or .. are are they soooo gooood that I'm  seeing fewer high mileage units cause their owners are keeping them and driving them into the ground or ??

The following advert is seems pretty typical

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2015-ram-promaster-city/1170944201?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I know nothing about the truck market.  Enlighten me  .

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: why so many low-mileage promaster city vehicles?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 05:15:52 pm »
Lots of buyers remorse and trading them in for the bigger Promasters I'm guessing. Just like 125cc motorcycles.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 06:38:28 pm »
Pretty common practice of FCA dealers to pad sales numbers - sell surplus "new" inventory to the dealership "used" department. Pretty easy to check if the unit has ever had an owner other than the dealership.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 06:46:38 pm »
I wonder if a fleet of daily rental vans came up for renewal and all the old ones hit the used market?

There seem to be a few in Ontario as well, some are advertised as such.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 11:36:20 am »
Wow, with a bit of work those things would make fantastic little camper vans.  What a great idea.  The regular ProMaster would be even better because you could stand up in it without the need for a rooftop tent (thinking Westfalia style, here)

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 01:09:34 pm »
That seems way too low for a daily rental.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline goodsonr

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 07:24:37 pm »
Wow, with a bit of work those things would make fantastic little camper vans.  What a great idea.  The regular ProMaster would be even better because you could stand up in it without the need for a rooftop tent (thinking Westfalia style, here)

Looking at these small cargo vans as I want something that will fit in my garage.  What I really want is to put a pop top on one of them... but can't find any Canadian companies that do that .. except for the Mercedes metris

At least none of you said there were so many left around 'cause they were hunks of junk

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 01:20:42 pm »
Dug up an old review of mine...At the time, I actually thought it was pretty good for what it is
http://doubleclutch.ca/2015-ram-promaster-city/

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 01:38:40 pm »
I too did a review of one of these last year; rented them twice. Perfect for getting my bike to the track.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 04:34:11 pm »
they aren't a bad little unit, but stocking them is a pain in the butt. they come from overseas and sure as hell don't seem to get priority shipping. takes like 4 months to get them at least.

i just sold three last week... 2 new, 1 like the ones you are seeing. what happened is that FCA put a good "service loaner" program on these. so when you are at the end of a month and need a deal or two to hit target, you pop one of these. means you have it on the books at a great number, but they are a car that gets very few views/test drives.

so in other words, don't fret about it... they just are pretty good deals. and to be honest, the dealers are kicking themselves a bit if they did it on too many, because the turnover on them sucks... so while it was a great deal to pop it 10 months ago, it ends up being a significant loss.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now