Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Infiniti FX35 Limited Edition  (Read 10022 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12357
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Infiniti FX35 Limited Edition
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 06:05:27 am »
There isn't any valid/rational reason to like this thing -- only seats 5 & can hold a couple of suitcases... etc..etc..
But,, it has such a swagger to it that I can't help but love it.

Gotta think though, that the love affair would be pretty short lived - must be a pain to park, crappy sightlines, fuel consumption... not to mention the thought of the wallet raping to replace those 21" shoes (love those rims though).

The way to fly with one of these would be to find that 1-2 yr old unit that the original owner grew weary of.

What he said.

Mrs. W. has a 2007 Infiniti FX35, purchased new. She sees it as an all-weather sports car, and loves it to pieces. Not a bit of trouble, just fluid changes and new rear brake pads last Fall.

I think she's got that exactly right.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 08:16:12 am »
Agreed, and on that note, when the BMW X6 first came out and was touted as the first SAV (sport activity vehicle), i was like uhhhhhhhhhhhhh wait a minute, because i immediately thought of the Infiniti FX, beat bmw to the punch for some years.

BMW has been using the "sports activity vehicle" moniker since the 2000 X5 came out. They call the X6 a sports activity coupe.

nsmyhte

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 01:31:59 pm »
5-6 years ago or so it was fresh, bold, aggressive but the new cool kid on the block is the X6.  It had its 15 minutes, now its the X6's turn.

What about the ZDX?  Does it get its 15 minutes as well? ;)  Maybe these owners will just migrate to the Range Rover Evoque and be done with it...

If all these SUV/coupe/"sports activity tourers" have their own moment of (albeit brief) popularity, we'll be seeing the damn things for a long time.

The X6 is getting its full 15 minutes, I would say the ZDX is getting about 5 minutes. It's is a lot less popular than the X6 and rightfully so.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 02:11:29 pm »
Last month in the US, Acura sold 3952 MDXs and BMW sold 3561 X5s. They also sold 71 ZDXs and 405 X6s respectively, so both are sales duds relative to their more practical counterparts.

BTW Lexus sold a segment leading 6842 RXs, while Infiniti struggled with only 486 FXs.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/search/label/Midsize%20Luxury%20SUV%20Sales?max-results=5
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 03:27:22 pm »
I was close to getting a ZDX for Kristin. I was thinking that due to the poor sales they'd have some good deals. NOPE! Even CPO they came in a few thousand (at least) more than a comparably equipped MDX. Why the hell would I buy the ZDX, then.....

At the local Acura dealer last year, they had big $13000 discount signs in the windshields of the ZDXs on the lot. I'll very rarely see one on the street.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 04:27:29 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 03:58:03 pm »
I was close to getting a ZDX for Kristin. I was thinking that due to the poor sales they'd have some good deals. NOPE! Even CPO they came in a few thousand (at least) more than a comparably equipped MDX. Why the hell would I buy the ZDX, then.....

At the local Acura dealer last year, they had big $13000 discount signs in the winshields of the ZDXs on the lot. I'll very rarely see one on the street.

I walk past a ZDX every day, parked on a driveway on my way to work.  And every day I think "WHY?""""
I don't know if I've every seen another one on the road.  Maybe I should stop and ask the guy what he was thinking when he bought it?  But hey, good for him if he likes his ride.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 04:05:30 pm »
Last month in the US, Acura sold 3952 MDXs and BMW sold 3561 X5s. They also sold 71 ZDXs and 405 X6s respectively, so both are sales duds relative to their more practical counterparts.

BTW Lexus sold a segment leading 6842 RXs, while Infiniti struggled with only 486 FXs.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/search/label/Midsize%20Luxury%20SUV%20Sales?max-results=5

IMHO, the FX is a niche vehicle, which is why sales aren't all that high....IMO of course.  As Gardiner Westbound's wife put it, it's an all weather sports car.  I'd mostly agree with that label.  To me, the FX is extremely aggressive looking (whether you like it or hate it is up to you) and offers a presence and performance that no other vehicle in it's price point can match.  You don't buy an FX to tow a boat no more than you do a Murano or an RX.  It's just a niche vehicle that I happen to like, and if true utility is what you are after in an SUV you'll definitely be looking elsewhere.  :)
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 04:27:07 pm »
IMHO, the FX is a niche vehicle, which is why sales aren't all that high....IMO of course.  As Gardiner Westbound's wife put it, it's an all weather sports car.  I'd mostly agree with that label.  To me, the FX is extremely aggressive looking (whether you like it or hate it is up to you) and offers a presence and performance that no other vehicle in it's price point can match.  You don't buy an FX to tow a boat no more than you do a Murano or an RX.  It's just a niche vehicle that I happen to like, and if true utility is what you are after in an SUV you'll definitely be looking elsewhere.  :)

I guess that's the bit I really don't get. Call me dense, but if it can't do the CUV/SUV thing, then why buy one over a G37x or M37x or M56x, which really are all weather sports sedans?

I dig that people like the look, I kinda like it too, except maybe for the cheese grater on the sides. I have absolutely no issue with people buying it, obviously the pluses outweigh the minuses for them. As far as putting cash down though, I just couldn't do it.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2012, 04:37:34 pm »

I guess that's the bit I really don't get. Call me dense, but if it can't do the CUV/SUV thing, then why buy one over a G37x or M37x or M56x, which really are all weather sports sedans?

I dig that people like the look, I kinda like it too, except maybe for the cheese grater on the sides. I have absolutely no issue with people buying it, obviously the pluses outweigh the minuses for them. As far as putting cash down though, I just couldn't do it.

I think you just answered your own question Glenn.  Owners that I know simply dig the look of it, nothing more and nothing less.  The owners that I know (which vary extreme in age groups) just love the look, performance, and sound of the FX.  Sure they could get the same (and probably better utility out of the G or M), but some are just drawn to the FX.  Nothing more to it than that IMO. 

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12357
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 04:39:10 pm »

I think you just answered your own question Glenn.  Owners that I know simply dig the look of it, nothing more and nothing less.  The owners that I know (which vary extreme in age groups) just love the look, performance, and sound of the FX.  Sure they could get the same (and probably better utility out of the G or M), but some are just drawn to the FX.  Nothing more to it than that IMO.

Bingo.

TheKnownSpace

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2012, 06:28:59 pm »
Agreed, and on that note, when the BMW X6 first came out and was touted as the first SAV (sport activity vehicle), i was like uhhhhhhhhhhhhh wait a minute, because i immediately thought of the Infiniti FX, beat bmw to the punch for some years.

BMW has been using the "sports activity vehicle" moniker since the 2000 X5 came out. They call the X6 a sports activity coupe.

ahhhhhh that is true, i mixed up SAV with SAC, in honesty, i totally forgot that BMW branded the X5 as a sports activity vehicle from the get go

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2012, 10:59:50 pm »
Pretty sure this is the original "utterly useless SUV for people who should have bought a sports coupe but wanted to sit up high". Spawned the X6 and ZDX etc.

Oddly while I despise both the X6 and ZDX, I find the FX35/45/50 really quite interesting. Not sure I'd want to pay more for gas than I already do though.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 06:40:21 pm »
5-6 years ago or so it was fresh, bold, aggressive but the new cool kid on the block is the X6.  It had its 15 minutes, now its the X6's turn.

Please no. The X6 is one of the ugliest vehicles ever built. I'd rather be seen driving a Pontiac Aztek than the X6. Oddly, I find the Acura ZDX/Honda CrossTour rather good looking vehicles. There's just something about the X6 that makes me wish I'd skipped lunch.

As for the FX... I've always liked it (and I love it's little brother, the EX). It may not be terribly practical, and some will call it unnecessary, but it's just so damn cool!