Author Topic: LED Headlights  (Read 12178 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: LED Headlights
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2023, 12:20:27 am »
Even on the Fahren site they show blinding scatter. I have no doubt they throw more light for you but what about oncoming traffic? They put a checkmark beside that first photo?  :rofl2:

They will be a menace.  All these aftermarket headlights for the past 20 years were.  Not a big problem if not used on highways. 

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2023, 08:34:44 am »
When I installed them I made sure they were properly aligned. The lights should be shining at 3 and 9 O clock positions for best performance. I drove it at night and pulled up to a building to ensure the were not pointing higher than OEM lights.

If you take a picture with the camera angle low looking directly into head light it is going to look blinding. But if properly installed there is no reason they should blind other drivers. They are no brighter than the OEM LEDs on our Mazda.

I had to do something because the headlights on the Fiat were terrible. Almost dangerous. I tested them again last night and this change has provided me a huge improvement.
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2023, 10:46:56 am »
When I installed them I made sure they were properly aligned. The lights should be shining at 3 and 9 O clock positions for best performance. I drove it at night and pulled up to a building to ensure the were not pointing higher than OEM lights.

If you take a picture with the camera angle low looking directly into head light it is going to look blinding. But if properly installed there is no reason they should blind other drivers. They are no brighter than the OEM LEDs on our Mazda.

I had to do something because the headlights on the Fiat were terrible. Almost dangerous. I tested them again last night and this change has provided me a huge improvement.

It has more to do with scatter than brightness. LEDs are bad enough but LEDs in reflectors/projectors not specifically designed can be as Arctic said "a menace". It's why good aftermarket LEDs are so expensive. They throw the light in the proper places with less scatter.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2023, 02:14:38 pm »
^^
LEDs and their lens/enclosures are 100% integrated to function as one.  Circa 1970s headlight adjustments have moved on.  No more pulling up to the garage door with screw driver in hand and eyeballing the height and so on.

The only way to confirm is to go to a place with no street lights.  Otherwise pitch black at 1/4 KM and then have the vehicle close in.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2023, 10:54:58 am »
You would be better served by buying a set of stand alone led lights and relay them to the high beams. Buy a powerful set and when some guy with scattered drop in leds blinds you give them a flash with these babies.