Author Topic: Show us your (truck) box!!  (Read 66887 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Show us your (truck) box!!
« Reply #160 on: August 15, 2023, 11:48:46 am »
I once had a 600 lb safe in the back of the Yukon. Smoothed out the ride nicely.  ;D

Two people got it through the house and up the stairs with some lifting straps I picked up at Canadian Tire. Think it was these ones: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/forearm-forklift-adjustable-moving-straps-790-lb-capacity-orange-9-4-ft-x-3-in-2-pc-0460622p.0460622.html?rq=forearm%20forklift#srp

Worked pretty good and was surprisingly manageable.

I was going to use some ratchet straps with the same idea, just a field expedient fix
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #161 on: August 15, 2023, 12:22:01 pm »
I once had a 600 lb safe in the back of the Yukon. Smoothed out the ride nicely.  ;D

Two people got it through the house and up the stairs with some lifting straps I picked up at Canadian Tire. Think it was these ones: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/forearm-forklift-adjustable-moving-straps-790-lb-capacity-orange-9-4-ft-x-3-in-2-pc-0460622p.0460622.html?rq=forearm%20forklift#srp

Those things are worth the trouble for sure, lifting with the forearms is way better than the hands

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #162 on: August 15, 2023, 07:37:58 pm »
hmm, I'd never seen those before, going to grab a set, seems like they'll come in handy.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 15, 2023, 07:46:41 pm »

Those things are worth the trouble for sure, lifting with the forearms is way better than the hands
Yes, can confirm they work amazing.

Also the carpet/floor slider things.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #164 on: August 16, 2023, 10:38:37 am »

I've got a set of moving straps that you put over your shoulders, work like a charm for large heavy items like fridges, dressers, etc.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #165 on: August 16, 2023, 01:50:34 pm »
I should have snapped a pic but yes you can fit dirt bikes into a Maverick. One of the guys I was riding with last week had a KTM 350 and a Sherco trials bike in the back. The 350 rear tire contact was about 3" from the tailgate edge. What makes it work is the Maverick's bed (hence tailgate) is deep adding good length when dropped. With all his gear  (no trunk) he was stuffed to the gills but it works. At $40k I would rather spend another $10k and have a Ridgeline but nice to have options.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: bugatti
« Reply #166 on: August 16, 2023, 01:52:33 pm »
I should have snapped a pic but yes you can fit dirt bikes into a Maverick. One of the guys I was riding with last week had a KTM 350 and a Sherco trials bike in the back. The 350 rear tire contact was about 3" from the tailgate edge. What makes it work is the Maverick's bed (hence tailgate) is deep adding good length when dropped. With all his gear  (no trunk) he was stuffed to the gills but it works. At $40k I would rather spend another $10k and have a Ridgeline but nice to have options.

or a base model half ton.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #167 on: August 16, 2023, 01:53:53 pm »

Have you seen how tall half tons are these days?  Advantage to the Maverick being lower to the ground, making it probably much easier and safer to load bikes. 

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #168 on: August 16, 2023, 02:00:20 pm »
Yeah, the old 2WD single cab longboxes were pretty easy peasy for loading bikes and quads, and you could easily shut the endgate. The tall 4WD double cab shortbeds now are more of a challenge

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 16, 2023, 02:00:58 pm »

Have you seen how tall half tons are these days?  Advantage to the Maverick being lower to the ground, making it probably much easier and safer to load bikes. 

Yeah they are getting to high, I've been saying that for a year.  I have  business idea, not lift kits but lowering kits. The senior accessible package.   

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #170 on: August 16, 2023, 03:24:40 pm »

Yeah they are getting to high, I've been saying that for a year.  I have  business idea, not lift kits but lowering kits. The senior accessible package.

Sign me up.   :rofl2:

Had a look at a Taco the other day.  Threw the idea of a midsize (except for a Ridgeline) out the window after trying to sit behind myself in the rear.  I dunno, maybe the Taco's rear seat is small compared to competitors, but it almost wasn't doable. 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 03:26:54 pm by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 16, 2023, 03:36:24 pm »

Had a look at a Taco the other day.  Threw the idea of a midsize (except for a Ridgeline) out the window after trying to sit behind myself in the rear.  I dunno, maybe the Taco's rear seat is small compared to competitors, but it almost wasn't doable.

Tailgate down, knee height!   not much comfort on backseat of those midsize. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #172 on: August 16, 2023, 03:40:29 pm »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #173 on: August 16, 2023, 05:33:06 pm »

Yeah the Tacoma rear seat room is awful. Not sure if it was fixed for the redesign or not. The rear seat is  just to haul cargo or dog. At that point you might as well get an access cab with longer bed. The Maverick rear looked bigger than the Tacoma.

1/2 ton full size will not fit in the garage with my motorcycles.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 16, 2023, 05:54:49 pm »

Yeah the Tacoma rear seat room is awful. Not sure if it was fixed for the redesign or not. The rear seat is  just to haul cargo or dog. At that point you might as well get an access cab with longer bed. The Maverick rear looked bigger than the Tacoma.

Ya, I still have my boys and/or dog with me on a regular basis so I'll likely stick with a half ton.  Smart thing to do would be to hang on to the Tundra for another 5 years then the kids will be rarely riding with us (missus and myself), then I could likely downsize.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 16, 2023, 06:07:36 pm »

Ya, I still have my boys and/or dog with me on a regular basis so I'll likely stick with a half ton.  Smart thing to do would be to hang on to the Tundra for another 5 years then the kids will be rarely riding with us (missus and myself), then I could likely downsize.
Plus I think your truck is still in fairly spectacular condition, no?

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 16, 2023, 11:23:36 pm »
^ Ya pretty good for the age. I do have some rust showing up in the box, coming up from the underside. Should roll over 250k km tomorrow. Really debating hanging onto it. Need winters this year, summers likely next year, and I really should do the shocks/struts, which are all original. Oh, windshield needs to be done also. Add that all up and that’s about 5k.  Still way cheaper than a 3 year old used pickup, which is what I’d likely go after.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 11:25:12 pm by bridgecity »