Author Topic: Electric Trucks  (Read 15766 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Trucks
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2022, 03:08:30 pm »
Every vehicle has compromises. People will choose which compromises they are willing to live with. What works for one person may not work for another. Pretty simple stuff.
I'm ok with all of that.

It's the disingenuous statements like "I saved so much money" or "there's no compromises" that makes me raise an eyebrow.

Like if I said there's no compromises to owning a Boxster good laugh me off the forum. LOL [emoji38]
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2022, 03:15:30 pm »
Every vehicle has compromises. People will choose which compromises they are willing to live with. What works for one person may not work for another. Pretty simple stuff.
I'm ok with all of that.

It's the disingenuous statements like "I saved so much money" or "there's no compromises" that makes me raise an eyebrow.

Like if I said there's no compromises to owning a Boxster good laugh me off the forum. LOL [emoji38]

Ya, it is those kinds of statements that also annoy me. Even worse when they can't even do simple math and/or exaggerate the numbers.  ;D

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Electric Trucks
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2022, 07:00:20 pm »
But would you pay $100K+ for the "privilege" of not buying gas? Even with the horrible f/e of a pickup, $50K buys a lot of fuel and you don't have to stop as often to refuel/charge.
People don't always buy EVs to save money.

Why would someone buy an EV truck given the compromises?
I’d be interested in knowing what these compromises are LOL

My Lightning is the best vehicle ever - no compromises, it does everything a sedan can do, comfortable asf but also does everything I’d want a truck to do…I can throw anything I need at it, and it will do - need to carry a 85in tv? No problem….8 chairs?  No problem…sofa? No problem….2 yards of stones? No problem etc etc…

All of it, with minimum cost - I drove 2600km last month at a much desirable cost of $63 [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

My regular F150 @13l/100 would have cost me $540, assuming gas at $1.60…which I know is more.

So last month alone I saved $477…ROI is incredible if you drive often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Assuming you drive the same each month...and the difference (currently) in price of $50k....your ROI is about 9 years.

Also...I remember you constantly telling us your old F150 was much better than 13L/100. So that would increase the ROI even more.
There diff is not $50k…

A similarly equipped F150 XLT high vs a Lightning is about $13k…discounts continue to be non-existent for the ICE F150 as well.

My ROI (calculated) is 11 months…at that point the truck is paying for itself with my gas savings.

While I don't doubt that discounts for "regular" F-150s are few and far between, they are not being "market adjusted" anywhere near the Lightning.

The price differential is indeed closer to $50k than it is to $13k.  At least here.

I'm curious how you're figuring out your ROI. Once again, I remember you constantly crowing about your almost unbelievable economy of your old truck.
That’s only applicable for folks paying over msrp or dealer slapping $$ on top of it - I bought mine @msrp…only extra charge was the $599 dealer processing fee, no way out of that one.

So sorry, but in my case and thousands of other people that are buying @msrp, this truck’s ROI is huge!! The best part is, and part of my ROI calculation, the carbon tax rebate we get out here in MB ($624 this year for my household) basically pays for the extra hydro and I got some to spare - so I am driving my Lightning for $0 cost - all taxpayer money [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 07:09:43 pm by Tauri13 »

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Electric Trucks
« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2022, 07:02:14 pm »
But would you pay $100K+ for the "privilege" of not buying gas? Even with the horrible f/e of a pickup, $50K buys a lot of fuel and you don't have to stop as often to refuel/charge.

My Lightning is the best vehicle ever - no compromises, it does everything a sedan can do, comfortable asf but also does everything I’d want a truck to do…I can throw anything I need at it, and it will do - need to carry a 85in tv? No problem….8 chairs?  No problem…sofa? No problem….2 yards of stones? No problem etc etc…

All of it, with minimum cost - I drove 2600km last month at a much desirable cost of $63 [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

My regular F150 @13l/100 would have cost me $540, assuming gas at $1.60…which I know is more.

I was referring specifically to what trucks are used for.  We know that the Lightning has limited offroading ability because of the ground clearence.  Most people won't take it off road so this isn't a huge compromise but it is there.  We know that EV's don't do well in -10C and below weather.  In many prairie provinces you are very limited by charger stations so there will be compromises in sales to smaller rural centres.  We know that the Lightning is not great at towing a heavier load (i.e. 25 ft loaded trailer) because of limitations to battery capacity.  We also know that most people who drive trucks in the city rarely use the bed.  In fact, if you have to carry the stuff you are mentioning, you can rent a truck for $30 a day.  And generally, a truck won't do what a sedan does because of the higher centre of gravity, the heavier weight, and the negative effect on handling and braking.

So although you are getting great mileage, you could have gotten that with an EV that isn't a truck and that is vastly cheaper in initial price.  You are going to have to drive a LOT to offset the cost of the $100K initial investment.

If you buy an EV truck, awesome.  My point was simply that there are compromises for truck users.
I could NOT do the things I do with my Lightning with another EV…just not possible without a truck and also the main reason so many people want one - light duty trucks are perfect family vehicles.

I mean the market is speaking for itself - the fact dealers are slapping huge money on top of msrp and selling kinda show you how lots of people fall within my category - and research has confirmed this, very few owners actually use their trucks to tow, etc…

These are not good for long ranging towing but that’s not something I do, 0 compromises there at all for me.

Didn't you have a Mini Cooper Countryman EV prior to owning the Lightning?  What, did your lifestyle do a complete 180 in the two months since you've owned the Countryman, that you now couldn't live with a truck? 

I used to be a truck owner, and now I"m not.  Lifestyle hasn't taken a drastic hit - we don't tow a camper anymore.  But for day to day sundries, our CUV accomplishes 99% of what I need it to, and for the remaining 1%, well, it's got a trailer hitch, I can hook up a little utility trailer and move that couch, or that snowblower, or whatever other bulky item that won't fit in the hatch.
I’ve always been a multiple car household & bought my 1st F150 in 2018 - after resisting for soooo many years…I gave in - and the practicality you get is just enormous. Just can’t beat a light duty truck…

Trailer is a pain in the butt and not even close to be as practical, it becomes a whole thing when you want to stop at Best Buy to pick a new TV or head to homedepot to buy some wood, etc…

I have one but rarely use it…I towed a couple times with the Kona Electric.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 07:05:47 pm by Tauri13 »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2022, 07:09:28 pm »

Assuming you drive the same each month...and the difference (currently) in price of $50k....your ROI is about 9 years.

Also...I remember you constantly telling us your old F150 was much better than 13L/100. So that would increase the ROI even more.
There diff is not $50k…

A similarly equipped F150 XLT high vs a Lightning is about $13k…discounts continue to be non-existent for the ICE F150 as well.

My ROI (calculated) is 11 months…at that point the truck is paying for itself with my gas savings.

While I don't doubt that discounts for "regular" F-150s are few and far between, they are not being "market adjusted" anywhere near the Lightning.

The price differential is indeed closer to $50k than it is to $13k.  At least here.

I'm curious how you're figuring out your ROI. Once again, I remember you constantly crowing about your almost unbelievable economy of your old truck.
That’s only applicable for folks paying over msrp or dealer slapping $$ on top of it - I bought mine @msrp…only extra charge was the $599 dealer processing fee, no way out of that one.

So sorry, but in my case and thousands of other people that are buying @msrp, this truck is huge!!

Well just because YOU got yours at MSRP, that ship has (mostly) sailed everywhere else..as you well know.  Based on what you've said, your dealer is no longer selling at MSRP either.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2022, 07:10:42 pm »

There diff is not $50k…

So sorry, but in my case and thousands of other people that are buying @msrp, this truck is huge!!

Well just because YOU got yours at MSRP, that ship has (mostly) sailed everywhere else..as you well know.  Based on what you've said, your dealer is no longer selling at MSRP either.
If you have a reservation, my local dealer continues to sell at msrp - now buying a second hand one is a diff story

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2022, 07:12:09 pm »

There diff is not $50k…

If you have a reservation, my local dealer continues to sell at msrp - now buying a second hand one is a diff story

Didn't someone else on this forum have a reservation and it wasn't honoured or price raised?

Also, the ship on reservations has sailed, too.

So these things have to be considered when purchasing this particular vehicle.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 07:16:27 pm by rrocket »

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2022, 07:54:35 pm »
My understanding is you put your name on the dealer's waiting list for a specific model, when dealer has allocation available you configure your own and then, your hope for the best (selling practice) because it is not a really a "sale" until you have signed a contract and fully paid for.

Unfortunately some stealership may try their best to $%?& you...
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2022, 08:18:44 pm »
I'm just curious why, all of a sudden, people who don't need trucks are interested in electric trucks. 

Just get a regular EV - Model 3, Model Y, Mach-E, Hyundai EV, etc.

Well that holds true in the Gas World too. There are many people that don't need a truck but end up buying one anyway.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2022, 08:22:09 pm »
I'm just curious why, all of a sudden, people who don't need trucks are interested in electric trucks. 

Well that holds true in the Gas World too. There are many people that don't need a truck but end up buying one anyway.
Absolutely does - the top 3 best selling vehicles in Canada are trucks lol

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2022, 08:23:04 pm »

Absolutely does - the top 3 best selling vehicles in Canada are trucks lol

Always been the case in USA...

Online Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1159
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2022, 07:39:52 am »

There diff is not $50k…

Didn't someone else on this forum have a reservation and it wasn't honoured or price raised?

Yep, those who ended being pushed to a 2023 model year had to swallow a $10K or so price hike or cancel. My neighbour canceled his.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2022, 01:17:54 pm »

There diff is not $50k…

Yep, those who ended being pushed to a 2023 model year had to swallow a $10K or so price hike or cancel. My neighbour canceled his.
Yeah inflation is tough, giving a lot of folks a reality check on what they can / cannot afford.

Offline carmechanicuk

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: amg
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2022, 09:13:28 pm »
cybertruck is mega overpriced