Author Topic: This coming fall - the Fiat must go!  (Read 13677 times)

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
Re: This coming fall - the Fiat must go!
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 11:45:11 am »
Why is this even a question :)

well, likely it'll be the Crosstrek.  However, this time she's taking my advice and is willing to look at other options.   

Maybe don't go into an FGC just as your wife is getting over the trauma of a FIC.......just saying.....
she used to really want a VW... after her FIC trauma, anything german seems to be freaking her out.

the potential try out list: (aside from the obvious Crosstrek)

1) Honda HR-V (to be checked out once it finally comes out)
2) Audi Q3 - it's close enough in price to look at, but that's only the base model
3) BMW X1 - this will be a stretch but current financing rates put the monthly payment of the Subbie and X1 nearly the same.
4) Mini Clubman - unlikely, but it is within the size and AWD requirements
5) MB GLA

off the list...
Forester - she'll want loaded and that's a little off out of the budget
Renegade - we'll see what happens, she might kick some tires but is very unlikely to get another Chrysler
Lexus - too expensive

the BMW & Merc are likely a far fetch.  the base prices are a touch higher than the loaded Crosstrek.
my wife also, for whatever reason hates the image the BMWs and Merc create.   When it comes to a car she is almost anti-status. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 11:56:40 am »
When it comes to a car she is almost anti-status.

My missus is the same - one thing she loves about her Corolla vs. some of her previous cars (E-Class) is that it carries no badge status and is pretty much anonymous.

As time goes by, I see the appeal.  I would now chose the Golf R over the Audi S3 every time.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 12:00:15 pm »
Why is this even a question :)

well, likely it'll be the Crosstrek.  However, this time she's taking my advice and is willing to look at other options.   

Maybe don't go into an FGC just as your wife is getting over the trauma of a FIC.......just saying.....
she used to really want a VW... after her FIC trauma, anything german seems to be freaking her out.

the potential try out list: (aside from the obvious Crosstrek)

1) Honda HR-V (to be checked out once it finally comes out)
2) Audi Q3 - it's close enough in price to look at, but that's only the base model
3) BMW X1 - this will be a stretch but current financing rates put the monthly payment of the Subbie and X1 nearly the same.
4) Mini Clubman - unlikely, but it is within the size and AWD requirements
5) MB GLA

off the list...
Forester - she'll want loaded and that's a little off out of the budget
Renegade - we'll see what happens, she might kick some tires but is very unlikely to get another Chrysler
Lexus - too expensive

the BMW & Merc are likely a far fetch.  the base prices are a touch higher than the loaded Crosstrek.
my wife also, for whatever reason hates the image the BMWs and Merc create.   When it comes to a car she is almost anti-status.
What happen to
- have decent roof for 4 adults.?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 12:01:33 pm »
Take a look at the Buick Encore.  Encore Premium AWD for $35 000, freight included.

Being a Buick, it won't have the same brand cachet that the FGC's will, which sounds like a check in the plus department for your wife.  It's small, and it's probably quite luxurious and well equipped inside.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 12:06:30 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 12:17:20 pm »
Encore is a good suggestion.

Renegade is based on a Fiat, not sure why you'd consider it.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 12:20:54 pm »
Mazda CX-5 or CX-3.  The 5 is well-priced for what you get, and like your Taco, you can get a leftover 2015 for a great price now.

Lady Noto's father has a fully loaded CX-5 GT with tech at $474/month (all taxes/fees incl) with $0 down on a 36 month lease.  Beat that...

The CX-3 will likely just be a smaller version.

Crosstrek will still be the winner ;)

Encore sounds nice and won't rattle.  It'll be silent.  It will likely be the best GM, from a reliability stand point.  I haven't driven one, but I don't really like the way it looks, personally.

If you didn't like the Fiat for rattles, etc. don't waste your time with the Minis.  ...and I think you meant Countryman, not Clubman (clubman is FWD only).

She won't like the GLA if she wants to be able to see out of the windows - outward visibility isn't its strong suit.

X1 is ageing and I don't think a great option as far as value for money is concerned.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 12:49:21 pm »
What happen to
- have decent room for 4 adults.?

sorry AB, we're not going to own TWO trucks  :rofl2:

"decent"   i know that's a little open ended.   I haven't tried sitting in the back of the Crosstrek yet.
however, I'm thinking it can't be any less roomy than the Tacoma.   It can't have any less room than a Jeep Compass (we both ended up in the back seat of a Compass for a drive to Blue Mountain)
If we survived, our friends should survive a trip in the Crosstrek.   It would never be more than 3 hours.

I forgot about the Encore.
but we both agree it's a bit funny looking.

it's only on the list as meeting the check marks.  She likes the looks but we know where that got us last time.   When I told her it was a Fiat, she said not likely anyways.

oh... NOTO
Countryman is what I did mean.  I know the Mini reliability isn't positive, so that's unlikely as well.

good to know about the GLA (visibility)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 05:01:45 pm »
What happen to
- have decent room for 4 adults.?

sorry AB, we're not going to own TWO trucks  :rofl2:

"decent"   i know that's a little open ended.   I haven't tried sitting in the back of the Crosstrek yet.
however, I'm thinking it can't be any less roomy than the Tacoma.   It can't have any less room than a Jeep Compass (we both ended up in the back seat of a Compass for a drive to Blue Mountain)
If we survived, our friends should survive a trip in the Crosstrek.   It would never be more than 3 hours.

I forgot about the Encore.
but we both agree it's a bit funny looking.

it's only on the list as meeting the check marks.  She likes the looks but we know where that got us last time.   When I told her it was a Fiat, she said not likely anyways.

oh... NOTO
Countryman is what I did mean.  I know the Mini reliability isn't positive, so that's unlikely as well.

good to know about the GLA (visibility)

Agreed, being fit and healthy allows people more choices in cars that are smaller. Fitment can be challenging in most cars if you are 30 pounds overweight, low stamina, and have no flexibility.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2015, 05:59:07 pm »

Just curious - what's so horrible about the FIAT?  Did I miss a thread about this in 'moan n' whine?'

I don't know what's wrong with his...but I can speak for myself --mine was a disaster and I got rid of it at 3000km? After multiple visits to the dealer to address numerous reliability issues. #Chryslernevermore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

she's at 23,000km.   we've had no mechanical issues yet.
however, first issue was peeling paint on the bumper and it was pulling teeth getting Chrysler/dealership to fix it.   That totally turned us off.    The car itself wheels down the road with plenty of rattles.  It's only 2 years old, I'd hate to see how it's holding up in 5 years.    The car absolutely hates winter and everything about the cold.  The colder it is the more it rattles, sometimes it makes you wonder if something is going to fall off.   If it's not in the garage, it struggles to start.    There's a clunking sound starting to come from the front end.  I'm assuming it could be ball joints or something like that.  Dealer so far claims there's no issues. 

The car does look nice, feels nice at first too but it doesn't take too much time to feel like it's cheaply made.

oh NOOO the clunking noises have started? sell it...because it is not a resolvable issue, I can guarantee you - and I had long and LOUD arguments with my local Chrysler/Fiat dealer, till their senior mechanic finally admitted, in one of the last test drives, that Fiat had no idea how to address the issue and there was nothing else he could do, except replace parts. In my case they replaced the shocks, absorbers, ball joints 5x within my short period of ownership and the F noise would go away and come back after a few weeks.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 06:03:10 pm by Tauri13 »

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2015, 10:23:05 pm »
It's official...

This will be fun to follow as I am a few months ahead of you for a similar purchase, although it sounds like I have more flexibility re final numbers than you as I am not financing in the normal sense.

I like the Crosstrek as an option for your must haves, but you do not indicate what (if any) the down-payment will be.  if you can scrounge up $9,000 DP, then according to the Subaru build site you can get a Forester Ltd. for $562/month.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2015, 10:43:55 pm »
a little late to the party, and though it takes me out of being your salesperson, no point in looking at the renegade really. while it is "removed" from fiat, it is still based on it, and shares just too much to not end up with it's flaws.

I really like the crosstrek. so it's my main vote. you leased the fiat? I forget... just asking to make sure you won't have to finance any negative equity into your budget...

not a bad time to be looking for a small suv/cuv thing... lots out there.

as a side note, and i'm serious here, tauri, is that an exaggeration, or did you literally have new ball joints put in 5x over 3000kms? I just can't imagine any warranty shop allowing a fix like that repeatedly since it obviously wasn't the issue every few weeks... just curious... I like to learn from people on here and what dealers do that helps or pisses them off.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2015, 07:33:39 am »
I know someone already made the suggestion but I would definitely consider the upcoming VW Sportwagon Alltrack.  It should be right in your price range, offer superier driving dynamics, a classy interior, and a engine range that will offer great to excellent fuel economy.  It's supposed to be here for fall, so it should match up fine with your timeline.  The best part is you can go to your local dealer next month and test drive the regular sportwagon.  The Alltrack will of course be a bit higher up and offer AWD.  But the interiors should be the same as well as cargo/passanger space.

I would make the suggestion of the Nissan Juke as you seem to be open to different designs but I'm thinking it might be a bit too small for your needs.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2015, 08:38:07 am »
The Alltrak isn't coming until mid 2016 and won't offer a TDI right away either.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2015, 10:00:12 am »
the list is getting smaller.

I sent it to her...

Honda HR-V - until she can she it... she's reserved comment.

Audi, BMW, MB - as mentioned... she's not even remotely interested even if we can get it at the same price.   :-\  (perhaps if she can test drive one to at least feel what a premium car brings to the table)

Mini and Jeep - totally off the table now.

Juke - funny her father loves it.  But we don't.  that design is a little too out there.  It would be too small as well.   

VW's Alltrak - this could be an option if it's out in time.
we have no issues with the raised profile.    We wouldn't go TDI because her vehicle is usually the "city driver"   

Tooscoops:
the irony in all this.................   she's finally took my advice and bought the car.   
what a terrible first car to buy thought.    ::)
I know we'll have some negative equity but better just to move on.   I was trying to figure out when it might even out but a look on auto trader shows a shocking depreciation on the vehicle. 

Down payment...  I'm going into this with the idea there will be no down payment.
however, I'm working on a savings plan for her which should yield something.   
She could save a big payment IF she wanted....  but she likes to spend.   :-X

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2015, 10:40:46 am »
The Alltrak isn't coming until mid 2016 and won't offer a TDI right away either.
What I heard was sportwagon first and then Alltrak 6 months later.  The sportwagon will be out next month, so 6 months would put it around September.  Maybe you heard mid 2016 model year.  Seeing as they'll be coming out with 2016 around june/july, Sept/Oct would be close to mid year.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2015, 10:44:05 am »
Blotter:  If you're not interested in the diesel Alltrack the 1.8T is a very good engine.  It has yeilded some good real world mileage and most people feel it has more power/tq than what is stated by VW.  I think you should take the wife in the spring to see the sportwagon and ask the dealer about a firmer date when the Alltrack will be here.  You never know, she might like the regular wagon enough that she doesn't need the AWD and higher ride height.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2015, 10:57:14 am »
What I heard was sportwagon first and then Alltrak 6 months later.  The sportwagon will be out next month, so 6 months would put it around September.  Maybe you heard mid 2016 model year.  Seeing as they'll be coming out with 2016 around june/july, Sept/Oct would be close to mid year.

VW Canada has stated it isn't coming until 2016.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2015, 11:12:53 am »
I would vote for the Encore as well, but styling is important.  I like it more than any Fiat.  But everyone is different.. 

What are her thoughts on the CX-3?  same segment as the Honda HR-V, bit more powerful.  Has she test driven any of the current CUV's ?  Like what are her thoughts on the CX-5? or the Ford Escape?

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2015, 11:45:50 am »
Blotter:  If you're not interested in the diesel Alltrack the 1.8T is a very good engine.  It has yeilded some good real world mileage and most people feel it has more power/tq than what is stated by VW.  I think you should take the wife in the spring to see the sportwagon and ask the dealer about a firmer date when the Alltrack will be here.  You never know, she might like the regular wagon enough that she doesn't need the AWD and higher ride height.

I'd certainly go for a TDI for my own driving.  But since we use her vehicle mainly in town driving, I was thinking the advantage for diesel wouldn't be as worth while.    Even her drive to work has lots of lights and crappy traffic flow.   Aside from that, if she gets AWD, we might use it for the odd ski trip.

On the AWD - after two brutal winters she's finished and wants AWD.   Meanwhile I keep telling her winter tires would be fine, but if she's set on AWD - she will get AWD.   That leaves the Sportwagon out.

I would vote for the Encore as well, but styling is important.  I like it more than any Fiat.  But everyone is different.. 

What are her thoughts on the CX-3?  same segment as the Honda HR-V, bit more powerful.  Has she test driven any of the current CUV's ?  Like what are her thoughts on the CX-5? or the Ford Escape?

Her heart is set on a 4-door hatchback.   I'm trying to get her to consider the smaller CUVs.
The reason, she goes on about how much she loved our 99 Forester.  Drove like a tank, visibility was the best of all cars she's ever driven.   I keep telling her if she loved it so much, she should try out some of today's CUVs and see if it brings back that love.   

We'll have to see.  I'd like us to start testing stuff late summer.
The Ford will be out of the question.  Her co-worker has a new Escape which is only 1 year old and has been in the shop for issues or recalls almost every month.    The Mazda could be something

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2015, 11:52:37 am »
Given that it's mostly city, is the CrossTrek hybrid worth considering?

Unless you'd be going with the manual, then it's not an option.