Author Topic: 2015 Volvo V60 T6 R-Design  (Read 4880 times)

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
2015 Volvo V60 T6 R-Design
« on: July 20, 2020, 09:17:34 pm »
Hi guys, I’m hoping you and yours have been well. I’ve been away from Autos.ca for a while due to some upheavals in my personal life, but as things have thankfully begun to settle down, I’ve been able to renew my focus on what really matters in life: cars 😉.

To that end, I’ve finally gotten serious about getting a new car. So serious, in fact, that I’ve just put down a deposit on this Volvo wagon, pic attached.

It's a 2015 with 79k km’s, Volvo dealer is asking $26,500. It seems well-maintained and all books/records. I'd post the ad but they took it down as soon as they took my deposit.

It has the old-school turbo 6-cylinder with the Polestar upgrade, good for ~325hp & 350tq. It’s….not slow 😊

CarFax reports a minor, non-structural fender-bender. The colour is, as you can see, a very subtle shade of Midlife Crisis Red, and not my first choice TBH, but I think it might suit the car, but I also may end up wrapping it in a different colour.

More immediately though, I would really love to get your guys' thoughts on a few things:

1)   Would you do a PPI even as this is a dealer-approved and inspected (though not warrantied beyond 90 days) car?

2)   Is an extended warranty worth it on a car like this? The older turbo-6 + 6AT combo, even in higher-ouput Polestar guise, seems to be fairly reliable - can things really go wrong to necessitate a warranty?  (The warranty they’re offering ranges from 1 year/ 10k for $2900, to  4 years/ 80k for $5800.)

3)   Any other opinions you guys have about these cars, in terms of what to watch out for? (also going to check w/Swedespeed forums)

I should add: this car is wonderful in many ways, but obviously not perfect: but all the quirks and niggles are well tolerable for me and fit my life right now.

The only immediate ‘mods’ I’m doing is the dealer-instealled trailer-hitch, and possibly a spare tire kit (the dealer is charging an exorbitant $1500, so I’ll be looking elswewhere), as it only comes with tire foam and as this will be partially a roadtrip car, a donut seems like a worthwhile investment.

Well, that’s it for now. Any feedback you have would be most appreciated!

Lebowski

« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 09:21:29 pm by lebowski »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: 2015 Volvo V60 T6 R-Design
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 11:29:32 pm »
Nice choice.

1) Would do an inspection
2) I would probably pass but it depends on what #1 digs up
3)  The PCV system and the transfer case output although I think automatics are ok. The manuals had trouble with output collar.

They pulled the spare ? Mr Volvo must be rolling in his grave.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 12:54:45 am »
Nice choice.

1) Would do an inspection
2) I would probably pass but it depends on what #1 digs up
3)  The PCV system and the transfer case output although I think automatics are ok. The manuals had trouble with output collar.

They pulled the spare ? Mr Volvo must be rolling in his grave.

Thanks KTM, appreciate your thoughts here. Yeah, it's definitely tempting to roll the dice and skip #2, though very good idea to wait and see what #1 digs up. Re: #3, no manuals ever offered on this model i don't think, so I guess that one's free and clear (I hope).

Yeah, it's weird: all the non-Cross Country V60's of that era have no spare; I guess they couldn't figure out packaging. It's indeed annoying and decidedly 'off-brand' for safety-focused Volvo, or so we're told.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 06:41:13 am »
I think the red looks great!

At that price I’d skip the warranty. Seems really expensive.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 07:30:36 am »
As stated above the red color is very nice on that wagon and at least it'll be easy to find in the parking lot. 

I wouldn't bother with the extended warranty as it seems very high.  It would be a better idea to just set aside the money you would have spent on the warranty in a TFSA and when something breaks just use that money to fix it.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 07:45:26 am »
I'd skip the warranty as well & just make sure you have a good indy mechanic nearby.

Love those V60's with the inline turbo 6, pull like mad! Kinda tight rear seats, but if you don't need em then you're set.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 08:04:40 am »
Nice car, I still love the look of these. There was another member of the forum (mmret - last active April 2019) that had the same car. Too bad they aren't around as I'm sure he would have lots of advice.

I'd also skip the warranty, get a good indy, and spend some time on Sweedspeed.

Good luck and looking forward to more pictures and impressions.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1159
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 08:29:33 am »
Nice! I’d skip the warranty too. That engine is great, the best I’ve had in my cars.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 10:10:17 am »
Fellas, thanks so much for all the feedback – really appreciate it!

Wow, I’m happy to read the shared opinions re: the warranty are so unanimous; i.e. it’s not worth it! The price on the car seems reasonable and comfortably within budget, so I would have enough left over for a warranty - if it were necessary - or for incidental repairs as they came up. It’s more just the principle of the thing: nobody wants to feel like they're being fleeced.

Haha, appreciate the comments on the Red. Objectively, from a pure practicality standpoint, I mostly just dislike the “cop-bait” and “thief-bait” aspect of it. (and I realize the answers there are “well, don’t drive like a dumbass” and “don’t park it somewhere unsafe, like a dumbass). I do agree, though, it does seem to ‘work’ on the R-design, for sure. We shall see. And beyond that, I'm a low-key person and love a good Sleeper, and this one is, uh, not exactly that  ;D

Guy, thanks for your insight – I do recall both you and Mmret had this car, right? Glad you still have good memories of it!

Re: the tight back seats, yep: definitely a consideration. Like the spare tire omission, some unfortunate packaging there, but it's OK for right now. (single and no kids) Frankly, i'm used to it anyway, as my Legacy GT had the exact same problem: plenty of room up front, Impreza-esque in the back.

The other other niggle I have is with the tire/wheel combo (and aforementioned lack of spare). It comes with separate winter rims/tires, which i'm pleased about, and waiting to hear back from dealer what size those are. But the summer ones that it's on now are 235/40/19's and I'm not thrilled with the resultant lack of tire sidewall; the ride is comfy enough, but I'm skeptical about durability. Vancouver roads are pretty good, but still. For you guys with experience with thinner tires: am I overthinking this? I've inquired with the dealer to possibly switch those out for 18's, but she's suggesting that 18's may not clear the R-design brakes (which seems untrue, as 18's seem to be available on tire rack and elsewhere, so I will push back).

Noted on the Indy - yup, some good ones in town, will be giving them my business!

And yes, if and when deal goes thru, will look fwd to Show & Shining the bejeezus out of RDSLD (frontrunner for nickname ;)

Thanks again guys and sorry for the ramble - it's been 11 years since i've been this close to buying a car, clearly i'm stoked ;D

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 10:13:02 am »
I have a question for you? How is the turning circle? On my old V70R (2006 P2) it was the most annoying aspect of the car. It was worse than a Chevy Suburban (abound 43' iirc). One got very adept at 3 and 5 point turns.

The red is nice and this must have been one of the last years Volvo offered that model?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2020, 10:19:06 am »
My moms got a 13 or 14 with V60 R design. Hers has a measly 90k kms on it and its been good thus far except for basic maintenance. Its fast, like get you into serious trouble on the highway with the revenue collecting types fast.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2020, 10:34:31 am »
:drool:

Thanks :) (though I should probably wait to say that once the car is in my posession!)

I have a question for you? How is the turning circle? On my old V70R (2006 P2) it was the most annoying aspect of the car. It was worse than a Chevy Suburban (abound 43' iirc). One got very adept at 3 and 5 point turns.

The red is nice and this must have been one of the last years Volvo offered that model?

Ugh. Good question. Yeah, I guess that's another niggle: turning radius is indeed big. I think it's maybe a tad bit better than your P2 (awesome car BTW), maybe something like 40 ft.?

Not sure about the red - it may have been offered a couple of years? One thing I'm tempted to do is go "full-eccentric" and slap on some of those joke 'Prancing Moose' shield badges on the front fenders, for the full Ferrari-wannabe effect. It'll be like an FF @ 1/10 the cost ;)

My moms got a 13 or 14 with V60 R design. Hers has a measly 90k kms on it and its been good thus far except for basic maintenance. Its fast, like get you into serious trouble on the highway with the revenue collecting types fast.

Ha! Not to one-up you but my mom's 2012 S80 is sitting with around 80k kilometers. Yup, this thing definitely has way more power than I know what to do with. I like to think that at 41 i am oh-so-wise and mature, beyond needless speeding, but you know what they say about absolute power corrupting  ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2020, 10:35:49 am »
I drive a Jeep with about 200ish hp and the throttle response thats akin to sending a fax....so getting in the V60 was a revelation, but dangerous.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2020, 10:36:49 am »
I drive a Jeep with about 200ish hp and the throttle response thats akin to sending a fax....so getting in the V60 was a revelation, but dangerous.

LOL

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2020, 11:03:00 am »
Regarding the turn radius something has to give when you put those 6 glorious cylinders inline sideways. Amazing Volvo was even able to do that. Regarding the maturity and speeding? Lets just say at an age well above yours the Province sent me a kind letter warning me that they did not appreciate my driving. It was a bad year for the po po and KTM.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2020, 11:06:57 am »
Regarding the turn radius something has to give when you put those 6 glorious cylinders inline sideways. Amazing Volvo was even able to do that.

Yeah, totally. I'm not mechanically inclined at all, but even I can appreciate there's no free lunch when you try to shoehorn in a transverse I-6 alongside the primary drive wheels. Sure glad they managed it though!

Regarding the maturity and speeding? Lets just say at an age well above yours the Province sent me a kind letter warning me that they did not appreciate my driving. It was a bad year for the po po and KTM.

Haha! Glad to know I'm in good company/have something I can aspire to in the years to come. Stay safe and outta jail!

« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 11:08:34 am by lebowski »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2020, 11:27:04 am »

No such thing before 2015, are you sure you don't mean XC60?

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2020, 11:30:48 am »
Would rock a V60 R Design with the smooth I6T in a second. Especially in that Polestar blue or red.  :o Too bad no manual...

Interviewing with local Volvo dealer for a sales job today, fingers crossed I will be selling them by the end of the week. NEED A JOB. I am a fan of Volvo, I would be happy selling them.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2020, 11:31:13 am »

No such thing before 2015, are you sure you don't mean XC60?

XC60...yup, thats exactly what it is.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2020, 11:32:27 am »
Would rock a V60 R Design with the smooth I6T in a second. Especially in that Polestar blue or red.  :o Too bad no manual...

Interviewing with local Volvo dealer for a sales job today, fingers crossed I will be selling them by the end of the week. NEED A JOB. I am a fan of Volvo, I would be happy selling them.

They had a beautiful V60 polestar in that blue that Volvo has when I went to the Volvo dealer with my dad.....just a stunning car. Yeah, too bad about the slushbox only thing.