Author Topic: First car  (Read 2923 times)

Offline tomcatmwi

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla LE
First car
« on: August 05, 2019, 09:02:36 pm »
Yes, another one just evolved into Homo Motoricus! I'm 42, so it was about time, right?

Although I (obviously) wasn't really a car enthusiast in my entire life, I still possess balls and certain interests come with them, so I have a fair picture about makes, models and technologies. Yet the puzzle is still missing a few pieces, and this is where YOU get the opportunity to tell me how to live my life! No, really. Any help to make this decision is appreciated. What should I get? I wouldn't really drive it in a city as I live very close to the office, so it'd be a weekend car, stashed away in the underground parking lot for most of the week. Here are my options:

1. A 2-3 years old Toyota Corolla
Pros: Corollas are reliable and rarely break, unless deliberately abused. They are also super safe in case of an accident and cheap to maintain. I can still sell it or trade it in a few years later if I want something else.
Cons: It's a Corolla. Perfectly balanced and bland. It just rolls and that's it.

A 2010-ish Ford Mustang convertible
Pros: It's a convertible, so it's a lot of fun. Helps to cope with midlife crisis. Cheaper than a Corolla.
Cons: Still won't make me 17 again. Not sure if it'd make a good first car for an inexperienced driver. Prone to live up to its namesake on winter roads. Also, it's a convertible - not meant for arctic temperatures. May have hidden issues - those who own a Mustang don't drive cautiously. Probably won't sell very well when I someday want to get rid of it.

A 2006-ish Audi convertible
Pros: Same as for the Mustang, but instead of a wild horse it's an elegant German beast. Handles much better in winter too.
Cons: May cost more to maintain than a high end prostitute. Also a convertible. Also won't sell very well at the end.

A 2011-ish BMW hardtop
Pros: Still a bit of fancy, still German (my taste must have something to do with my ancestry), but without the drawbacks of a softtop.
Cons: Hidden issues are quite common. Fixes may cost almost as much as an Audi.

So, ladies and gentlemen... should it be a bland but safe Corolla or risk something with more testosterone?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 09:05:05 pm by tomcatmwi »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: First car
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 10:20:57 pm »
For a weekend ride I'd get something roomier and faster than a corolla. I'd say a V6 camry or accord, the latter being a bit more entertaining around twists and turns.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 10:21:34 pm »
My vote would be the Mustang, since you said a weekend car that will be for fun. You can either get a winter beater for winter or invest in some snow tires for the cold winter.

For a weekend ride I'd get something roomier and faster than a corolla. I'd say a V6 camry or accord, the latter being a bit more entertaining around twists and turns.

Good recommendation as well, especially an Accord Coupe V6. I would recommend the 6-speed if you can score one.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 12:02:53 am »
I don't know what a Corolla is even doing on that list...weekend car?  What the hell?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 04:21:24 am »
I don't know what a Corolla is even doing on that list...weekend car?  What the hell?
I think his version of weekend car differs from our version.

A weekend car for us is a fun (less practical) car, reserved for spirited blasts on the weekend. Usually it's a 2nd (or 3rd) car for us.

His version is just a car that would be used on the weekend because he has no use for one during the week. A weekend runabout.

Clearly he's not an enthusiast like us...otherwise he wouldn't have waited so long to get a first car.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 04:23:39 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tomcatmwi

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 11:49:28 am »
Yes, your assessment is correct. That's how the Corolla got there. I know it's not much fun, it's just a car. It has its merits.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 12:00:39 pm »
We have a 2011 BMW 328iX that has been pretty much trouble free (granted it's very low mileage).

Practical 4 door sedan, good for the winter with AWD , yet still has a fair amount of driving fun factor. The 2011's were the last of the NA straight sixes

https://www.autotrader.ca/ico/bmw/3%20series/stittsville/ontario/19_11175726_/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=6_13_13&pc=E2K%202E1&sprx=1000
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 01:24:00 pm by sailor723 »
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline tomcatmwi

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 09:41:12 pm »
We have a 2011 BMW 328iX that has been pretty much trouble free (granted it's very low mileage).

Practical 4 door sedan, good for the winter with AWD , yet still has a fair amount of driving fun factor. The 2011's were the last of the NA straight sixes

Thank you, and I'd totally be interested if I haven't just gotten home from buying a 2011 323i. It's a wonderful car, and in almost pristine condition with only 48 400 on the odometer.

And this pretty much closes the topic too. Thank you for your insights, see you on the road!

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 09:42:25 pm »
Nice find....congrats! 

(Just to be clear, that link wasn’t my car but rather just as an example)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 10:05:05 pm by sailor723 »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 10:11:35 pm »
Congrats! (you owe us pics in "show and shine"  ;) )

Offline MadThrottle

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 3
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 04:39:04 pm »
I would get the Toyota Corolla and tint the windows. There's a lot of room for 'wink' with ' :bounce:. You have to be thinking ahead at think point! :)
It could be your first pimp wagon. Affordable that is. (First car right?? Hardly anyone's first car is the BMW. I could be wrong).  Enjoy.
Chris Amos Drives!!