Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2014 Acura RLX; Day 1  (Read 22202 times)

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2014 Acura RLX; Day 1
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2013, 03:49:04 pm »
The LED headlights look killer IMO.  And they do provide a benefit.  Longer lasting, higher visibility and less energy usage (which means better FE) as well as requiring smaller wire for weight savings.
If you take LED from Audi or MB they have a shape and look cool. The one from RL are just there covering the whole headlight. Yes, they do have benefits. No doubt. I was referring to their look. 
Bombastic

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2013, 02:07:22 am »
I have also experienced LED lights and they seem pretty much the same and the HID's in my car. I am pretty sure the LED's last a lot longer but I wouldn't expect the life of the car. Still, they have to be cheaper than HID's in the long run as the bulbs for the lights in my car are like $150 each, which I am told is pretty cheap for HID's.

I wouldn't own a car now that didn't have the special lights. Big safety advantage.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2013, 09:23:17 am »
Wonder what the replacement cost is for one of them?  I had to replace the hid assembly in my old lincoln ls due to a crack and the msrp was almost $1K!  :o

When we got the RX400h (one of the first to use the pivoting lenses), we were told that if we wanted to write off the car, hit a wall at 5mph - it'd crack the headlamps, which were $9k each to replace.  That was from the dealer, which is not a reputable source, and I'm sure the costs have come down significantly (especially with them becoming available from scrapped cars) - but yes, better technology costs more to replace.

A quick look on ebay is showing them at about $350 each - and bulbs are 2 for $29.95...so I don't see HIDs as all that expensive (assuming you don't encounter ridiculous dealership mark-ups).

In any event, I'm all for better tech - LEDs have amazing capabilities, and if they're being under-engineered (using more energy than xenon bulbs, not lasting more than 10 years, etc), then it's something to do with the manufacturers cheaping out...not the tech breaking bad.

My diving torches are both LEDs.  I use the Princeton Tec Torrent LED.  It started as a Xenon, then LED, and now improved LED.  All use the same batteries (8AA) and the same construction.
1) Xenon - 115 lumens; 8 hrs of burn (http://www.karstsports.com/prtectoxe.html#.Ulf64dLrw2Q)
2) LED (1st) - 126 lumens; 30 hrs of burn (http://www.leisurepro.com/1/2/12553-princeton-tec-126-lumens-torrent-led-dive-light-black.html)
3) LED (2nd) - 280 lumens; 30 hrs of burn (http://www.leisurepro.com/p-ptctl/princeton-tec-280-lumens-torrent-led-dive-light)

So between the 2nd and 3rd, same flashlight, same everything, but they got more than double the light output with no increase in battery consumption.  If any of the car LEDs mentioned here aren't performing well, it's because they're not designed to - not that they're not capable of it.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2013, 10:22:37 am »
Wonder what the replacement cost is for one of them?  I had to replace the hid assembly in my old lincoln ls due to a crack and the msrp was almost $1K!  :o

When we got the RX400h (one of the first to use the pivoting lenses), we were told that if we wanted to write off the car, hit a wall at 5mph - it'd crack the headlamps, which were $9k each to replace.  That was from the dealer, which is not a reputable source, and I'm sure the costs have come down significantly (especially with them becoming available from scrapped cars) - but yes, better technology costs more to replace.

A quick look on ebay is showing them at about $350 each - and bulbs are 2 for $29.95...so I don't see HIDs as all that expensive (assuming you don't encounter ridiculous dealership mark-ups).

In any event, I'm all for better tech - LEDs have amazing capabilities, and if they're being under-engineered (using more energy than xenon bulbs, not lasting more than 10 years, etc), then it's something to do with the manufacturers cheaping out...not the tech breaking bad.

My diving torches are both LEDs.  I use the Princeton Tec Torrent LED.  It started as a Xenon, then LED, and now improved LED.  All use the same batteries (8AA) and the same construction.
1) Xenon - 115 lumens; 8 hrs of burn (http://www.karstsports.com/prtectoxe.html#.Ulf64dLrw2Q)
2) LED (1st) - 126 lumens; 30 hrs of burn (http://www.leisurepro.com/1/2/12553-princeton-tec-126-lumens-torrent-led-dive-light-black.html)
3) LED (2nd) - 280 lumens; 30 hrs of burn (http://www.leisurepro.com/p-ptctl/princeton-tec-280-lumens-torrent-led-dive-light)

So between the 2nd and 3rd, same flashlight, same everything, but they got more than double the light output with no increase in battery consumption.  If any of the car LEDs mentioned here aren't performing well, it's because they're not designed to - not that they're not capable of it.

I certainly don't have any arguments with your comments and my question was more of an observation based on past experience.  I'm all for better tech as well, but it definitely has some inflated cost associated with it in the first few years until it becomes mainstream.  This is still a relatively new technology in the automotive field.  It has become more mainstream in the last couple of years for residential lighting options and the prices have gone from ridiculously expensive to reasonable in just a couple of years, so I am sure the pattern will follow in the auto world. 

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2013, 10:47:15 am »
LEDs are semiconductors and as such they have production cost ten up to thousand times less then incandescent or halogen bulbs when high output manufactured. But in real capitalism the retail price is more driven by demand. How to explain a regular LED replacement for residential 60W LED bulb that has a price of 25$ in Home Depot? The same incandescent bulb is just a dollar or two...I know I do compare a cheap product with short life span and long lasting but expensive one. Well, you pay more to be fancy, nothing else here!

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2013, 11:21:14 am »
The same incandescent bulb is just a dollar or two...

I can get a 4-pack at Dollarama for a buck.

I agree - supply and demand is greedy and rude.  Then again, if I were on the receiving end of the payout, I'd do it too.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2013, 01:28:37 pm »

I agree - supply and demand is greedy and rude.  Then again, if I were on the receiving end of the payout, I'd do it too.

A little off-topic here, but when i built my home theatre i put in 26 pot lights and the owner of the store where i bought all my lighting threw in a case of 30 halogen bulbs.  The problem is that they were some no-name chinese made crap and i ended up replacing 7 bulbs within the first two weeks!  I then took all the bulbs back and traded them in for a brand name product which have been ok, but they are still not really reliable as they avearge only about a year a piece.  I was gradually replacing them with the LED replacement bulbs which can be purchased at costco for around $15 a piece and are supposed to be good for ten years, or so and are dimmable.  The problem with the LED lights is that i dont like the cool white color they put out, but mostly it is because I can hear the "ringing" from the built-in transformer when they are dimmed and that is a definitely not a desirable trait in a listening room.  So i removed all the LEDs i put in my HT as a result and have only been replacing the ones in the drop ceiling which I never use when watching movies, or listening to music.  I also have 10 pot lights upstairs that i have been replacing wth LEDs as these issues are not a concern there.  Anyway, sorry for rambling on, but something to consider for those thinking of doing the same.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2013, 11:19:35 pm »
Ugh...Help...65 grand for a Honda....Erk...Jack

or a toyota, or a datsun, or a hyundai..... ::)

Case in point Hyundai Equus. $64,799 before delivery/destination.

Sept 2012- 10 sold in Canada

Sept 2013- 8 sold in Canada

That's an astounding 20% drop in one year !
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2013, 03:06:07 am »
That's an astounding 20% drop in one year !

Not sure if serious

Or statistically significant troll
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline TerryB

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Porsche Boxster, Hyundai Genesis Sedan, Mazda MX5, Mazda3, Mercury Villager, Nissan Altima, Acura Integra (x4)
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2013, 03:59:00 pm »
Okay, so which would you rather buy, this Acura RLX or a Hyundai Genesis?

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2013, 05:31:18 pm »

No contest.  Hyundai Genesis.  Because RWD.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 05:42:55 pm by Winklovic »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2013, 05:36:22 pm »

No contest.  Hyundai Genesis Acura RLX.  :)

Fixed it for ya!.. ;D

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2013, 05:45:23 pm »
 I'm amazed that you consider the styling of this car a 4.5..I think it's blandville..maybe a 3....Big bucks for this car..

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2013, 05:49:02 pm »
I think it looks great.  A design that will last for years.  Unlike the over the top designs acura has tried lately, and much better than the old RL

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2013, 07:53:47 pm »
The Legend was a good handle, but I really like the new Acura "Relax".

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2013, 01:30:28 pm »
The problem with the LED lights is that i dont like the cool white color they put out, but mostly it is because I can hear the "ringing" from the built-in transformer when they are dimmed and that is a definitely not a desirable trait in a listening room. 

Being diodes, they can produce any colour we want...it's a shame they are defaulted to this ridiculous white that is beyond unnatural based on our traditional expectation of lighting.

The ringing would have to do with the dimmer, and I have that in my halogens too (well, I did...it's the dimmer itself, not the LEDs).

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2013, 01:59:58 pm »
The document you pointed to says:
The LEDs are maintenance-free and designed to last the life of the car.

They may not last, but they are designed to lol

LEDs have been used in industrial settings for years now.  They aren't sensitive to harsh environments that have a wide temperature range, vibrations, etc.  I think they would be more durable than HIDs or halogens.  As a matter of fact, the ones I have seen in the industrial setting are rated for 100,000 hours of operation.  That equates to over 11 years of operation.  I don't think the lights are going to be kept on for 11 years straight, hence lifetime.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2013, 04:03:22 pm »
The problem with the LED lights is that i dont like the cool white color they put out, but mostly it is because I can hear the "ringing" from the built-in transformer when they are dimmed and that is a definitely not a desirable trait in a listening room. 

Being diodes, they can produce any colour we want...it's a shame they are defaulted to this ridiculous white that is beyond unnatural based on our traditional expectation of lighting.

The ringing would have to do with the dimmer, and I have that in my halogens too (well, I did...it's the dimmer itself, not the LEDs).

It's not the dimmer.  There are halogens on the same circuit and I can easily localize it to the bulb itself.  I have never had a ringing issue with halogens, even with the cheap halogens! I agree about the default color statement.  I've been told the warm white bulbs are available, but not the affordable ones. 

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2013, 10:51:25 pm »

A little off-topic here, but when i built my home theatre i put in 26 pot lights and the owner of the store where i bought all my lighting threw in a case of 30 halogen bulbs.  The problem is that they were some no-name chinese made crap and i ended up replacing 7 bulbs within the first two weeks!  I then took all the bulbs back and traded them in for a brand name product which have been ok, but they are still not really reliable as they avearge only about a year a piece.  I was gradually replacing them with the LED replacement bulbs which can be purchased at costco for around $15 a piece and are supposed to be good for ten years, or so and are dimmable.  The problem with the LED lights is that i dont like the cool white color they put out, but mostly it is because I can hear the "ringing" from the built-in transformer when they are dimmed and that is a definitely not a desirable trait in a listening room.  So i removed all the LEDs i put in my HT as a result and have only been replacing the ones in the drop ceiling which I never use when watching movies, or listening to music.  I also have 10 pot lights upstairs that i have been replacing wth LEDs as these issues are not a concern there.  Anyway, sorry for rambling on, but something to consider for those thinking of doing the same.
Look closely for the colour temperature... the Philips ones should list it on the packaging. If you want a incadescent like look then you need to buy the latest ones they are putting out which are 3000k or a slightly whiter 3200k colour temperature. The white LED's that most people associate with are more like sunlight in the 4-5000k range.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2013, 05:22:54 am »

Look closely for the colour temperature... the Philips ones should list it on the packaging. If you want a incadescent like look then you need to buy the latest ones they are putting out which are 3000k or a slightly whiter 3200k colour temperature. The white LED's that most people associate with are more like sunlight in the 4-5000k range.

The problem with those are the price.  Last i checked HD was selling them for around $24 + tax, so too much IMO.  Costco only carry the white type at present.