Author Topic: Woohoo~ My Pela Oil Extractor arrived!!!  (Read 16728 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Woohoo~ My Pela Oil Extractor arrived!!!
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2009, 10:46:59 am »
Leaves quite a bit of residual oil in the crankcase and I'm sure bits and pieces of this and that which should really be drained out.

That's exactly what came to my mind when I read this.  Gravity is our friend! :)

To know if it works on your car, use the extractor.  Cut the end of the tube to a bevel to ensure it is flat near the bottom of the pan.  Pump as much as possible out, and then drop the drain plug, and see how much more comes out.  If nothing more comes out (as the case with my cars) then you're good to go.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2009, 11:08:35 am »
..I don't want MY PELA extracted.........................I only have ONE............ ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2009, 06:56:23 pm »
Alright, here's the promised, and much awaited (by whom, i don't know.  :rofl:  :rofl2:  ) review.

I did my oil change yesterday.   specifically, i changed oil, oil filter and air filter. 

after a good drive (approx. 35 km), i started pumping out the old oil using my new PELA oil extractor using the dipstick hole.

i pumped until my arms fell off, then switched hose position then pumped some more. 
let it sit for a few minutes, i decided to change air filter while waiting.  it is freakin easy to take it out but B!tch to put one back in.  old one looked brand new but was wrinkled funny.

then I pumped some more, until just trickle of oil came out.   

i, then, took out the old oil filter....  damn, it was another B!TCH to take off.  i'm so buying an oil filter wrench. (i borrowed one from a friend, but it was stuck on so tight.)

then, put in a new WIX filter, then poured new oil in.  Mobil 1 5W-30 i got on sale at CanTire.

put in the whole 4.4L jug and then some(it only take about 4L...  I was an idiot, i for some reason thought it needed more.)
ran the engine few seconds...  checked the level, and I was like "what the funk!!!"  ... then i check the spec, i overfilled it.
so, using the Extractor again, i siphoned some out. till the oil level sit flush on the dipstick's top level.

...  so, in the end, the extractor worked well.   it only left about at most less than ~100ml of residual oil, by my calculation.
AND the waste oil can be put back into empty oil bottles really easy, .  you can just pour it into your now empty oil jugs. hardly soils your hands.  (if you are careful taking the oil filter out, that is.  :) )

but the time it took me to pump it all out,...  i could have lifted it up on the jack and be done sooner.

I still think it's good buy, if your car's oil pan is designed to be pumped out easily using the extractor, and has easily reached oil filter..     but for me, i won't use it for oil changes anymore.

maybe for transmission oil change later in the future, i will try using it again.  it came in real handy for adjusting the over-fill, though, eh.  ;)   ;D

after the oil change, the engine is slightly smoother on cold start.   0 degrees we've been having in the morning, when i start the car, it caused some rackets, before this oil change.

anyhoo, there you go!!  if you are averse to laying on the ground for oil change, and has a car you can use extractor for, go for it!!!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 06:59:00 pm by aquadorhj »

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2009, 06:58:22 pm »
You don't need an oil filter wrench to get stuck filters off.  A long screw driver stuck through the side works wonders....

Ohhhhhhh...you have to arm pump the thing?  I thought you had the model that hooks up to your air compressor and does all the work for you...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2009, 07:46:53 pm »
 ;D

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2015, 11:48:49 pm »
Hey aqua, any further thoughts on this Pela?

I'm looking to buy an extractor, but don't want to spend a bunch and the Pela is pretty cheap. GTI needs an oil change, and I don't feel like crawling around in the snow. I usually change it spring and fall when the weather is decent, but I messed up this year.  :P

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2015, 11:58:48 pm »

I'm looking to buy an extractor, but don't want to spend a bunch and the Pela is pretty cheap. GTI needs an oil change, and I don't feel like crawling around in the snow. I usually change it spring and fall when the weather is decent, but I messed up this year.  :P

Also check the MityVac 7400.  Have seen it in action.  Looks similar to Pela.  Price is competitive too.

**EDIT**  I also saw an awesome electric one too.  You plug it to your battery leads.  And away you go.  It was yellow and had the name "Gallon" in it.  Sorry..don't recall exactly what it was called.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2015, 12:45:41 am »
I have the Mityvac 7400 and it is awesome. The LR4 doesn't have a dipstick tube to extract from so LR put an actual metal suction tube in the oil filler. The engine is designed to be top sided by attaching an extractor to this tube. Makes the oil change ridiculously easy and all from above as the cartridge oil filter is on the top as well. 10 mins and done. Another 5 to pour in fresh.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2015, 11:13:43 am »
Paying Economy Lube $49.99 for 5W30 synthetic for the Forester was pretty easy, too, and took 9 minutes.  I left with clean hands, too.

;D

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2015, 11:18:33 am »
Paying Economy Lube $49.99 for 5W30 synthetic for the Forester was pretty easy, too, and took 9 minutes.  I left with clean hands, too.

;D

But you had to drive there and risk having stoned employees monkey with your auto. It took me 10 minutes total and didn't even have to put on pants. ;D

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2015, 11:50:20 am »
Dealer is a hundred bucks for an oil change, plus I have to wait around for at least an hour. Last time I took the truck to a jiffy lube place, it was $120 for a synthetic fill.  :P

I'd rather just do it myself: it's cheaper, more convenient, and I can be reasonably sure it was done right. :)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2015, 11:54:44 am »

;D

But you had to drive there and risk having stoned employees monkey with your auto. It took me 10 minutes total and didn't even have to put on pants. ;D
No appointment necessary, and I was wearing PJ pants.

The employees may have been stoned, but the car is running great :)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2015, 11:59:37 am »

having used it multiple times on both my bimmer and the VW, i think it works great.

it hardly leaves any oil behind, and as long as the oil is hot/very warm, it's very easy to extract.
empirically, it leaves at most 100 cc of old oil, for my cars anyway.  yours, i believe would be similar.

i just pump 10~15 times, and leave it, it extracts about 2 liters.  another ~10 pumps, another 2 liters, etc.

only thing would be, to change oil filter, you still would have to lie on the ground, right?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2015, 12:01:25 pm »
Be VERY careful taking a Subaru to a drive-in lube place.  The transmission filter is a spin on unit that is the same as the engine oil filter, and many owners have had things screwed up big time.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2015, 12:08:12 pm »

having used it multiple times on both my bimmer and the VW, i think it works great.

it hardly leaves any oil behind, and as long as the oil is hot/very warm, it's very easy to extract.
empirically, it leaves at most 100 cc of old oil, for my cars anyway.  yours, i believe would be similar.

i just pump 10~15 times, and leave it, it extracts about 2 liters.  another ~10 pumps, another 2 liters, etc.

only thing would be, to change oil filter, you still would have to lie on the ground, right?
Not in a newer Subaru :)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2015, 12:09:40 pm »
Be VERY careful taking a Subaru to a drive-in lube place.  The transmission filter is a spin on unit that is the same as the engine oil filter, and many owners have had things screwed up big time.
NOW you tell me...

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2015, 12:11:47 pm »

Thanks! Going to pick one up in Calgary this aft.

And no lying on the ground - filter on the GTI is up top and super easy to change.

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2015, 02:14:00 pm »
Got the oil changed in the GTI today. I probably didn't save much time using the extractor, but it sure was nice not to have to crawl around on the ground. I also managed to complete the oil change without getting oil on my hands or clothes at all, which is a total first for me!  ;D

I had to do quite a bit of pumping and wiggling the hose around, and even then I don't think I got all the oil out. VW says the capacity is 4.6L with filter, and I got 4.2L or maybe 4.3L out. In hindsight, I probably should have driven the car more beforehand - the oil was warm, but definitely not hot.

Anyway, good enough for now. I'm still changing the oil more frequently than VW says (every 10k kms instead of 15k kms), so if a bit extra stays in there between oil changes, not a huge deal IMO. Maybe in the spring I'll try it again with hotter oil, then crawl underneath to remove the plug and see if any more comes out.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2015, 04:16:39 pm »
SCREW OFF...SCREW ON wot could go wrong :shuffle:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2015, 07:56:54 pm »
I've used one if these for years and like I it a lot.

http://www.liquivac.com