Author Topic: FCA. Cheaters?  (Read 2773 times)

FCA. Cheaters?
« on: May 23, 2017, 04:54:10 pm »
Post content deleted at request of original poster.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 03:47:14 pm by autoTRADER.ca »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: FCA. Cheaters?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 05:40:36 pm »
This could all have been averted by letting them go out of business in 2008!
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 06:04:14 pm »
I'm surprised the American press didn't cover more of this story, as FCA has been under investigation for this on both sides of the Atlantic for a few months now.

I guess there's probably some protectionism going on.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 06:06:39 pm »
I'm surprised the American press didn't cover more of this story, as FCA has been under investigation for this on both sides of the Atlantic for a few months now.

Protectionism for a foreign company?

Interesting.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 06:10:33 pm »

Interesting.
The public perception is that Jeep is still an American icon. At that's the case where I live.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 06:12:37 pm »

Interesting.
The public perception is that Jeep is still an American icon. At that's the case where I live.

The public perception when talking about diesel trucks is definitely not Jeep.  It would be RAM.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 07:13:15 pm »
the engine is in the grand cherokee too... and fca is using both ram and jeep as the two images they want to be recognized by. so i'd say it's valid.

all of these articles i have read have really been tricky. they talk about the epa's issue and that they found unreported emissions controls... but then refer to "cheat" devices with the lawsuit. it is the same things the two groups have issues with. a cheat device is setting up the car to recognize it is being tested, and alter the way it works in order to pass emissions. these are not cheat devices that the 3L has...

there is nothing that "cheated", just that at high speeds and heavy use applications, the engines computer would opt for more power rather than prioritize emissions control. if i was towing a trailer through the mountains, and had to floor it... i would really like to get up the hill, even if it caused a bit more pollution.

so dumb.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 07:26:49 pm »
the engine is in the grand cherokee too...

Yes, but when you say "diesel truck", Grand Cherokee isn't what initially jumps to mind IMO.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 07:35:15 pm »
well, you would also think cummins first if that is the train of thought.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 12:00:33 pm »
the engine is in the grand cherokee too... and fca is using both ram and jeep as the two images they want to be recognized by. so i'd say it's valid.

all of these articles i have read have really been tricky. they talk about the epa's issue and that they found unreported emissions controls... but then refer to "cheat" devices with the lawsuit. it is the same things the two groups have issues with. a cheat device is setting up the car to recognize it is being tested, and alter the way it works in order to pass emissions. these are not cheat devices that the 3L has...

there is nothing that "cheated", just that at high speeds and heavy use applications, the engines computer would opt for more power rather than prioritize emissions control. if i was towing a trailer through the mountains, and had to floor it... i would really like to get up the hill, even if it caused a bit more pollution.

so dumb.

So my hopes & dreams of FCA giving me $7500 cash plus buying back my GC (at market value when the news broke) like VW did for dieselgate aren't gonna happen?  :-\  :rofl:   :rofl:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 12:28:17 pm »
I know a couple guys at work who bought Ram diesel trucks last year,  Ram is basically offering them a full refund if they buy another truck.  One of them did, the other is thinking about it.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 12:45:08 pm »
^WOW, that's the 1st I've heard of that!!  :think:

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 03:12:03 pm »

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 05:00:08 pm »
I know a couple guys at work who bought Ram diesel trucks last year,  Ram is basically offering them a full refund if they buy another truck.  One of them did, the other is thinking about it.

ram is not. they are not reading what the dealer is giving them.

they are falling for the price match type marketing. i bet they just got a letter in the mail from absolute results for a "private sale" and have fallen for the marketing pitch.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 05:41:02 pm »

ram is not. they are not reading what the dealer is giving them.

they are falling for the price match type marketing. i bet they just got a letter in the mail from absolute results for a "private sale" and have fallen for the marketing pitch.

Yeah, I was wondering that myself.   These guys seem to be easy to sell things to.  One was talking about how the truck he wants is only $40 a month more than he's paying now.  I had to remind him there was another full year of payments added to that term.  He didn't care, he only thinks payments from month to month.

They just figure they'll always have payments and just want to be driving the newest vehicle they can and don't care to ever get ahead.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 06:32:33 pm »
i bet they just got a letter in the mail from absolute results for a "private sale" and have fallen for the marketing pitch.

Oh yeah, they'll have the chance to talk to a Dodge/Ford/Hyundai/GM/Honda "affiliate." Scumbags.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 07:45:53 pm »

Interesting.

I wonder if people thought of it as foreign during the Daimler days.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 02:49:21 pm »
i bet they just got a letter in the mail from absolute results for a "private sale" and have fallen for the marketing pitch.

Oh yeah, they'll have the chance to talk to a Dodge/Ford/Hyundai/GM/Honda "affiliate." Scumbags.

yeah... they have been forced to change their wording... now they are "hired by the manufacturer to help sell some cars"... whatever. i just despise it.

as for the 40 bucks more... so common to just see the difference in a month to month basis. just had a guy and he *needed* to lower his payment... his finances had changed, and wanted the payment lower. so is saving 10 bucks every two weeks.... but adding three years to a loan on a lower trim vehicle... brilliant. spelled out how dumb it was, but they wouldn't hear it.

anywho, as to the diesel, i was just pricing out a truck for someone... trading in his ecodiesel... BB showed an adjustment of 7700(!) when i selected ecodiesel on the trade.... crazy! it was 4700 when new and the guy has been saving on fuel for the last two years... definitely a smart choice for him at the time! (and no, i didn't give him what BB called it at, but still interesting)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 02:52:14 pm »

yeah... they have been forced to change their wording... now they are "hired by the manufacturer to help sell some cars"... whatever. i just despise it.

as for the 40 bucks more... so common to just see the difference in a month to month basis. just had a guy and he *needed* to lower his payment... his finances had changed, and wanted the payment lower. so is saving 10 bucks every two weeks.... but adding three years to a loan on a lower trim vehicle... brilliant. spelled out how dumb it was, but they wouldn't hear it.

anywho, as to the diesel, i was just pricing out a truck for someone... trading in his ecodiesel... BB showed an adjustment of 7700(!) when i selected ecodiesel on the trade.... crazy! it was 4700 when new and the guy has been saving on fuel for the last two years... definitely a smart choice for him at the time! (and no, i didn't give him what BB called it at, but still interesting)

Well, I'll be expecting that 7700 adjustment from you if I ever trade my ecodiesel in with you!!  :stick:  :rofl:  :rofl2: