Author Topic: Blueprint's BaTventures  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: Blueprint's BaTventures
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2024, 10:38:27 am »
What's the issue?

Well, some international web vendors have stopped selling to Quebec residents as our impending language laws would require them to deliver the entire shopping experience ... in French, in exchange for the right to sell to a Quebec resident. Even if said store is based in the UK, China or California. So I kind of get why BaT won't sell to a Quebec resident, but from my point of vue you don't have to offer that French experience if you're selling to the world instead. But BaT's lawyers prefer the cautious approach.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2024, 10:53:10 am »
What's the issue?

Well, some international web vendors have stopped selling to Quebec residents as our impending language laws would require them to deliver the entire shopping experience ... in French, in exchange for the right to sell to a Quebec resident. Even if said store is based in the UK, China or California. So I kind of get why BaT won't sell to a Quebec resident, but from my point of vue you don't have to offer that French experience if you're selling to the world instead. But BaT's lawyers prefer the cautious approach.

That unfortunate. Those laws are so dumb.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2024, 11:52:24 am »
Ridiculous. Very unfortunate laws for Quebec residents, the majority of them at least. It does force a lot of business to stay within QC, which I suspect is the ultimate goal here - prop up local business that couldn't compete on the global scale. Pretty typical strategy for uncompetitive countries, but unusual at a Provincial level.

These laws disadvantage all Canadian to some extent though, when I was at CTC we would lose opportunities to bring new products or brands to market, nationally, because the supplier would be unwilling/unable to adjust their global packaging for QC language compliance. 

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2024, 11:56:35 am »
Ridiculous. Very unfortunate laws for Quebec residents, the majority of them at least. It does force a lot of business to stay within QC, which I suspect is the ultimate goal here - prop up local business that couldn't compete on the global scale. Pretty typical strategy for uncompetitive countries, but unusual at a Provincial level.

These laws disadvantage all Canadian to some extent though, when I was at CTC we would lose opportunities to bring new products or brands to market, nationally, because the supplier would be unwilling/unable to adjust their global packaging for QC language compliance.

Yeah we have a lot of this. Like I like to say, "province de Q"  ;D

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2024, 12:45:27 pm »

:nono: :eye:
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2024, 12:45:33 pm »

Can't "wait" to learn more about it as my daughter decided to to McGill....  ;D

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2024, 12:49:46 pm »

Didn't they jack up tuition at English-language universities for non-Quebec residents too?  ::)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2024, 01:08:51 pm »

Didn't they jack up tuition at English-language universities for non-Quebec residents too?  ::)

They did, and as it happens, they don't cover the difference for the faculty my daughter is going to  :banghead: ... one of the 2 in this predicament...

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2024, 01:15:04 pm »

They did, and as it happens, they don't cover the difference for the faculty my daughter is going to  :banghead: ... one of the 2 in this predicament...

McGill is sueing the Quebec gvt - as they should - over this law. Tuition is not raised for out-of-province students who attend a francophone university. My youngest is at McGill too.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2024, 01:25:19 pm »
Sometimes I wonder how Quebec would have faired had they separated from Canada and did their own thing.  Something tells me they wouldn't have faired as good as they have over the past few decades.  That province is so confusing, I know there are a lot of good people and companies there, but sometimes I just scratch my head with some of the things they do.  Not that NB is without it's own faults.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2024, 01:28:32 pm »
Sometimes I wonder how Quebec would have faired had they separated from Canada and did their own thing.  Something tells me they wouldn't have faired as good as they have over the past few decades.  That province is so confusing, I know there are a lot of good people and companies there, but sometimes I just scratch my head with some of the things they do.  Not that NB is without it's own faults.

At least in NB we don't force businesses to operate with certain languages. It's one thing to have a policy that government services need to be provided in both official languages but quite another to force that on the private sector.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2024, 01:54:27 pm »

At least in NB we don't force businesses to operate with certain languages. It's one thing to have a policy that government services need to be provided in both official languages but quite another to force that on the private sector.
Oh 100%, and I wasn't even referencing the whole bilingualism part of NB, just some of our own policies. 

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2024, 01:55:53 pm »

Indeed. Locally, brick and mortar, I can understand - to a point, but to force international businesses to conduct business with us in French is  :stfu:

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2024, 01:59:00 pm »
Sometimes I wonder how Quebec would have faired had they separated from Canada and did their own thing.

We would have gone bankrupt in no time while patting ourselves in the back for our excellence and looking down on other provinces.

My sole protest against "quebecism" is 1) voting my way in elections (that I always lose) and 2) listening/watching strictly anglo media despite being a francophone.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2024, 02:05:32 pm »
That whole language law thing is ridiculous, like everyone knows what Staples is, does it really need to be Beaurau un Gros or whatever?!!? Also this french branding really stops us from seeing a lot of products as business do not want to play along with some little province in Canada. Ridiculous, you want the French branding in Quebec, cool, great, why does that effect me here in Alberta??
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2024, 02:14:05 pm »
Here's a fun one.  ;D

After a five-month investigation into an anonymous complaint, Massimo Lecas received a letter from the board telling him that his establishment, Buonanotte, had broken the law by including the words "pasta" on the menu and "bottiglia", the Italian word for bottle, instead of the French word bouteille.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/mar/01/quebec-language-police-ban-pasta

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2024, 02:16:36 pm »
Quebec has been a write off for a very long time, too bad as it was a great place to grow up in the 50/60's, left in 1974 best thing I ever did...

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2024, 02:26:17 pm »
That whole language law thing is ridiculous, like everyone knows what Staples is, does it really need to be Beaurau un Gros or whatever?!!? Also this french branding really stops us from seeing a lot of products as business do not want to play along with some little province in Canada. Ridiculous, you want the French branding in Quebec, cool, great, why does that effect me here in Alberta??

Actually, that was Staple's own choice. You don't have to change your brand. Well, until now. The French police may come down on brands too. An election could bring sense, but alas only the provincial liberals (center/center right) and minor player conservative (right) would head that way and they are both well behind the three lefty "nationalist" parties. Well, CAQ is not really lefty, but a very odd coalition.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2024, 02:32:43 pm »

McGill is sueing the Quebec gvt - as they should - over this law. Tuition is not raised for out-of-province students who attend a francophone university. My youngest is at McGill too.

The stupid thing is they at least could've rewarded the students which are out of province but speak French (like my daughter). Give them a language test and if they pass, treat them as "francophone". McGill kind of sucks too since they didn't extend the $3,000 credit for ALL faculties.

Which faculty is your daughter going to?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 02:39:47 pm by Dante »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2024, 02:53:31 pm »
Here's a fun one.  ;D

After a five-month investigation into an anonymous complaint, Massimo Lecas received a letter from the board telling him that his establishment, Buonanotte, had broken the law by including the words "pasta" on the menu and "bottiglia", the Italian word for bottle, instead of the French word bouteille.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/mar/01/quebec-language-police-ban-pasta

Now how could a person with an IQ higher than their shoe size not be absolutely flabbergasted at the idiocy of that....to me, if you want to keep a language going, its up to the people, not the government. Theres immigrant groups with their own schools and churches to keep their language and culture alive all over this country, not funded by the government but by their church and community funding.