Author Topic: TESLA Model III  (Read 506188 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: TESLA Model III - big drop in battery cell costs
« Reply #560 on: February 21, 2017, 11:59:51 am »
Meanwhile everything is according to plan at Gigafactory, whose 2170 cells will be used in Model 3:
https://electrek.co/2017/02/18/tesla-battery-cost-gigafactory-model-3/
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
Re: TESLA Model III
« Reply #561 on: February 22, 2017, 07:19:52 pm »
Nice to hear a July production start. Hopefully things will stay on track and that more details will come out shortly.

https://electrek.co/2017/02/22/tesla-model-3-final-reveal/

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #562 on: February 22, 2017, 07:33:29 pm »
good to hear, I want my Tesla  ;D
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: February 23, 2017, 07:43:10 pm »
oh big miss on their earnings report.....

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: February 24, 2017, 09:42:09 pm »
this announcement is the preempt to another stock dilution

I agree.  Tesla will likely seek more money.   The reason : Pre-orders for Model 3 are in hundreds of thousands.
When you have a product that is desired and have >> $400M in deposits for, you accelerate your plans to deliver.
Investors agree too, the stock has run 25% up in the past few months.

Too bad for the short sellers, they're off $2.3B in losses.   How I cry for thee.    :rofl2:

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: February 24, 2017, 09:53:32 pm »
https://electrek.co/2017/01/04/tesla-cars-made-in-america-battery-cells-gigafactory/

When Tesla’s new ‘2170’ battery cell will be added to its vehicles, which is expected to be in the second quarter for the Model 3, Tesla’s vehicles will become 95% made in the US and potentially become the “most American cars” in production according to the definition provided

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: February 24, 2017, 11:25:58 pm »

I agree.  Tesla will likely seek more money.   The reason :

The reason is Tesla doesn't make money. They only hemorrhage it.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 25, 2017, 01:35:02 am »

you just wait...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 25, 2017, 07:46:11 am »

you just wait...

That's what Elon has been saying for 5 years. And the cult keeps drinking the koolaid.

takes a little time to build a car company from scratch in the modern world, especially one with "alternative" propulsion methods

the road to now has not been perfect, but give him a break geez

not a cult at all dude. But who knows, I may be singing a totally different tune if my Model 3 disappointing...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 25, 2017, 08:57:59 am »
He's achieved quite a feat, but the investors are delusional. Tesla's valuation is at a level it will never achieve in the next 10 yrs as far as earnings go. That's a cult. Same goes for weed investors. It's fuelled on hope and not reality. 

Last time he diluted his stock he told everybody it was for model 3 ramp up and share price went up. Then he used the money to buy solar city, another losing venture.

that is one of the problems with playing the speculative long game, as Elon seems to do all the time. Sometimes you don't need to re-invent the entire industry, just get one reliable product out there after another - sometimes thinking short term and garnering small successes allows the freedom to occasionally throw the hail mary without risking everything all the time...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #570 on: February 25, 2017, 09:35:09 am »
These type A personality guys that make huge coin on 1 venture, always swing for the fences. One to three times outta 10 they're successful. When you have money like he does to throw around, you don't think you're gonna fail, lol!

Sent from my SM-G850W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +40/-82
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale, 1989 Dodge B250 aka The BEAST.
« Reply #571 on: February 25, 2017, 01:01:40 pm »
I suspect Tesla is headed the same way as Tucker for the same reasons. Tucker failed because Tucker was more of a salesman, shuckster, jiver, dreamer then carguy/busnessman. The myth about Tucker being killed by "The Big Three" is just that, a myth. Tucker was impressive for what he DID achieve but failed due to the sheer logistics of bringing an entire car company out was against him.

My main reason I wouldn't buy a Tesla even if it were perfect for me is that once the company fails, IF it fails, the car would probably be undriveable due to all the internet required updates and electronics. At least an old Tucker can be kept on the road indefinitely. I don't see that for a Tesla and Mr Musk seems to be playing it way to close to the edge to survive long term. I doubt he cares either as he himself will probably walk away a winner financially anyways.

Maybe I'm wrong and Elon Musk will pull a miracle out from his ass but every time I see something about him, my mind thinks of Preston Tucker. I'm a fan of Tucker but I also don't see him as the mythical person he has become. He tried. He failed. Many have. But at least he tried.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 01:34:23 pm by Lower Level »
Den
Reporter: "How does it feel being Henry Ford II?"
HF II: "I wouldn't know, I've never been anyone else."

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 25, 2017, 06:59:56 pm »
Bolt was high 50s CAD and it felt like a cheap 20k Econ car

Driven one?!   My buddy is trading a Porsche for a new Bolt.   A 20K econobox doesn't go 0-100km/h in 7 seconds, 10 inch touch screen, modern tech and more efficient than practically any other car on the market.   Stop deluding yourself.   Please test drive one and report back.   I'll be waiting with popcorn.    :P

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: February 25, 2017, 07:32:56 pm »

Driven one?!   My buddy is trading a Porsche for a new Bolt.   A 20K econobox doesn't go 0-100km/h in 7 seconds, 10 inch touch screen, modern tech and more efficient than practically any other car on the market.   Stop deluding yourself.   Please test drive one and report back.   I'll be waiting with popcorn.    :P

while I love the idea of an EV [Tesla is on order, obviously] but the idea that someone would trade in their Porsche for a Bolt is...not right. Unless the owner really hates gas for personal / political reasons, or needs the extra space because a kid came along...I would never trade my Porsche for a Bolt...ever [and I am not a fan of Porsche in the first place]. So please tell us why he made that decision, I am really curious.

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +40/-82
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale, 1989 Dodge B250 aka The BEAST.
« Reply #574 on: February 25, 2017, 09:26:55 pm »
It sounds like someone who buys cars as status symbols and wants to be seen a "green" and politically correct. I suspect though that if the Bolt can actually replace the Porsche in this person's life that the Porsche does not have a clutch.  :rofl2:

And yes, that last was to reference how this person would perceive the car and why they bought it as I just can't see someone replacing a car with soul with an appliance.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: February 25, 2017, 11:22:41 pm »

Driven one?!   My buddy is trading a Porsche for a new Bolt.   A 20K econobox doesn't go 0-100km/h in 7 seconds, 10 inch touch screen, modern tech and more efficient than practically any other car on the market.   Stop deluding yourself.   Please test drive one and report back.   I'll be waiting with popcorn.    [emoji14]

A Porsche for a Bolt. Ok pumper.  I sat in the Bolt and it's interior was out of a 20k dollar econo box. It's the size of a 20k dollar econobox. The exterior design and quality said 20k dollar econo box. Right now the proposition of owning an battery electric car isn't that appealing.
I agree. It not GMs fault really...they had to compromise something to keep the car affordable.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 25, 2017, 11:40:06 pm »
So please tell us why he made that decision, I am really curious.

Lets be real here. Smart Electric made that :censor: story up.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: February 25, 2017, 11:49:56 pm »
So please tell us why he made that decision, I am really curious.

Lets be real here. Smart Electric made that :censor: story up.
I dunno. It's possible. But clearly the Porsche owner doesn't care about driving dynamics in the least.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: February 26, 2017, 12:18:27 am »
I owned a Z28 once too, and a 350HP Mercedes SUV only a few years ago, so just because I used to drive performance gas cars doesn't mean I can't completely change and eventually become a Smart Electric and now Tesla owner.

Two of my Porsche owning friends have opted for EV's, one bought a Tesla, the other a Bolt.  Three houses have solar panels on my street, including mine.   There's 4 EV's and 10 hybrids on my small street.

The Bolt is an excellent car for what it's designed for.   It's no Tesla, but will be fun to drive regardless of opinion here.  The reviews are universally positive on it's electric power train.   That's where the money was spent for sure.

My Model 3 reservation is in no risk from a GM car, but some others didn't get their reservation in early enough, so the Bolt will be a good car to tide them over until Model 3 reservation backlog is emptied.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: February 26, 2017, 01:51:20 am »

but will be fun to drive regardless of opinion here.  .

Compared to other econoboxes? Maybe.

Compared to a Porsche? Never. Ever. EVER.