Author Topic: Latest Movie Thread  (Read 824195 times)

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: Latest Movie Thread
« Reply #2300 on: July 02, 2017, 10:47:33 am »
I really want to see Baby Driver. Stupid title, but it is getting rave reviews.

I too enjoyed Wonder Woman, one of the better super hero movies of recent memory.

Saw the new Transformers recently. Utterly stupid, but fun movie at the same time. It is Michael Bay's last, and I say good. Would be really interesting if another director, such as Christopher Nolan, took the robots in disguise in a darker path...

Really stoked for Dunkirk, will be in line to see it.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2301 on: July 02, 2017, 10:53:32 am »
Wonder Woman was the best DC comics movie that I can recall and certainly rivaled the best ones from Marvel.  It was very "comic-booky" which really made it better.  Gal Gadot was terrific and thank gawd they didn't go for the over-the-top buxom character ala the TV show.

Watching House of Cards I see now why Robin Wright is so shredded - she was a ripped-up Amazon General!

Stoked to see Baby Driver.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1142
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #2302 on: July 18, 2017, 01:19:23 pm »
Got my ticket for Dunkirk Thursday night, on IMAX no less!  :banana: Really looking forward to it. Was reading this morning that Nolan minimized the use of special effects, real Spitfires! Also filmed on location, actually in Dunkirk.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2303 on: July 18, 2017, 02:42:58 pm »
Saw "Baby Driver."  It's a hoot!  The casting was great, the story funny, and it had interesting little turns.  The story is simple, but elements make it much more than a car chase film.  The soundtrack!  DAMN!  The cars were real and the chase scenes realistic unless very deliberately not-so.

The colouring and shooting style has a very Tarantino feel, like Pulp Fiction Tarantino - when he was at his best.  But, it slips out of that for more mundane scenes, and then slides back in to create drama or a different feel.  Very well done.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: July 18, 2017, 03:28:47 pm »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: July 21, 2017, 03:27:12 am »
cant wait for Dunkirk next week

...also the trailer for The Disaster Artist is out. Franco nails it! If you have not seen The Room nor know its infamous cult history, the trailer will go right over your head.

I cant wait.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2306 on: July 21, 2017, 06:34:02 am »

Are you able to see it in theater that plays proper 70mm film.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: July 21, 2017, 06:35:36 am »
Saw Dunkirk on IMAX last night, great movie. Not your standard war movie however; more of an adventure/survival movie that happen in WW2. The dogfights scenes had me sitting at the edge of my seat. The story is told from 3 view points; 2 soldiers stranded on the beach and their story span 1 week, the owner of a small boat for 1 day and a Spitfire pilot for 1 hour. Interesting way to tell the story and I can see where some will love it like I did but others may not. 

I won't say more not to spoil it...

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: July 21, 2017, 06:36:10 am »

Are you able to see it in theater that plays proper 70mm film.

Yes the movie was stunning on IMAX. Local newspaper rates the movie as a Masterpiece. I agree.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:41:02 am by Guy »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: July 21, 2017, 08:52:06 am »
You cant spoil much, it is history after all...

yeah I am seeing it in IMAX, it is a movie that is worth it

I hope this sends a message to Hollywood that we appreciate raw war movies that are just about the history and the event, we dont need complex character arcs, lots of exposition and back story, or a :censor: love story that takes precedence instead of telling the damn story...that is how war movies are ruined [thinking Passchendaele - dont get me started on that thing...]

New wave of great war movies? I am thinking of some significant events like: Trafalgar, Waterloo, Defense of Malta, Agincourt, Tours, Amiens, Vimy or Somme. With the budget and direction like Nolan, Oscar bait movies for sure.

I have very high expectations for Dunkirk, I am expecting a Nolan-esque masterpiece and I am sure it will deliver.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2310 on: July 21, 2017, 09:17:37 am »
No love story in that one; you problably see 2 or 3 women characters in the movie, a couple of nurses on a hospital boat and one on a small boat. Similar to "Saving Private Ryan" on that respect.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: July 21, 2017, 10:29:56 am »
good, that is the way it should be

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2312 on: July 21, 2017, 12:16:21 pm »
No love story in that one; you problably see 2 or 3 women characters in the movie, a couple of nurses on a hospital boat and one on a small boat. Similar to "Saving Private Ryan" on that respect.

There is "controversy" among the perpetually offended types that no women, POC, or transexual unicorn butterflykin are not represented in the movie  ::) ::)
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: July 21, 2017, 08:57:11 pm »

There is "controversy" among the perpetually offended types that no women, POC, or transexual unicorn butterflykin are not represented in the movie  ::) ::)

I hope you're kidding...would anyone have come out as being butterflykin back in the early forties? In the military? I highly doubt it...so to represent them in a war era picture would seem wholly unnecessary.  Illogical even.  Seriously, I hope you're kidding.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: July 22, 2017, 12:11:20 am »

I hope you're kidding...would anyone have come out as being butterflykin back in the early forties? In the military? I highly doubt it...so to represent them in a war era picture would seem wholly unnecessary.  Illogical even.  Seriously, I hope you're kidding.
You're absolutely right.

But it's true...people do complain that not enough "x,y or z people" are in certain films...even if in reality it's the way it was.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #2315 on: July 22, 2017, 12:58:56 am »

You're absolutely right.

But it's true...people do complain that not enough "x,y or z people" are in certain films...even if in reality it's the way it was.

I tried to find out if this "controversy" is a real thing, or just something that someone read in The Onion.

Near as I could figure out, it was actually Breitbart that started it, based on a brief comment in a USA Today review.

So, maybe it's crazy to expect anything other than a bunch of white males in a movie about Dunkirk... or is it?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: July 22, 2017, 01:15:46 am »

You're absolutely right.

I tried to find out if this "controversy" is a real thing, or just something that someone read in The Onion.

Near as I could figure out, it was actually Breitbart that started it, based on a brief comment in a USA Today review.

So, maybe it's crazy to expect anything other than a bunch of white males in a movie about Dunkirk... or is it?
it's a "thing"....because I read about it often enough.

Have not heard anything specific to this particular film however.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: July 22, 2017, 01:37:46 am »
I haven't read anything about this movie and can't find any credible report of anyone complaining.

You're making it up - total BS. FFS enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: July 22, 2017, 01:53:29 am »
I hope you are kidding - it is a historical film, we should not put a transgender soldier in just to appease some snowflake factory workers...fack  :stfu:

I had criticism at a recent history conference about some aspects of my paper, one historian saying that I ignored issues of masculinity, race or gender in my analysis. I said "Ma'am, I am studying how the entire BEF, throughout the entire war, used covert ops to best blow things up and kill people with experimental weapons. I am engaging with tactics, strategy, command, morale, and technology. There is no room in my study for feminist or race studies. There were no women in the trenches fighting, there were few blacks or natives, and as for the latter those have been covered in other works. To investigate issues of race or gender in my study would be both irrelevant and nonsensical." She huffed and puffed, but shut up.  :rofl2:

Sometimes history is lopsided in it's representation. That is just reality. How many black soldiers you going to find on the battlefields of WWII? Still very few. Gay ones? Sure, they were there. But their sexual orientation did not dictate their ability to fight or serve their country. The history of the event is what is important, not whether every single race and gender are represented equally.

I once had someone be really upset that Wonder Woman did not have more American soldiers in some scenes. I told him the facts of their service, and why they would not be in those scenes. He said "well, they should just put them in to connect with American audiences." That is like putting an American at the centre of the Samurai 1877 Satsuma Rebellion...oh wait  ::)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: July 22, 2017, 01:58:09 am »

I had criticism at a recent history conference about some aspects of my paper, one historian saying that I ignored issues of masculinity, race or gender in my analysis. I said "Ma'am, I am studying how the entire BEF, throughout the entire war, used covert ops to best blow things up and kill people with experimental weapons. I am engaging with tactics, strategy, command, morale, and technology. There is no room in my study for feminist or race studies. There were no women in the trenches fighting, there were few blacks or natives, and as for the latter those have been covered in other works. To investigate issues of race or gender in my study would be both irrelevant and nonsensical." She huffed and puffed, but shut up.  :rofl2:

You know this type of thing is a problem in general when an educated historian brings BS like this up.

FFS...

Even worse, in some circles you would have been labeled "misogynistic" for even questioning that woman as to the relevance of what she was asking.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 02:00:31 am by rrocket »