Author Topic: Methinks the Mazda needs a new AC belt and probably the tensioner pulley  (Read 26193 times)

Offline Ron

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mazda 3 GT, 2012 Mazda 5 GT
Re: Methinks the Mazda needs a new AC belt and probably the tensioner pulley
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 12:49:13 pm »
Not directly Mazda related, though Mazda did make use of the Ford parts bin for that era car, so may be helpful. When we had the Ford Taurus, there was a chirping and squealing at start up and at low rpms, above idle. I changed the belt and voila that did the trick, for a few days...  :) A buddy mentioned to replace the tensioner pulley as they were known to be weak. I did and that eliminated any noise for the last couple years we had the car.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 02:19:44 pm »
^^ That's what I was suggesting I wanted to do.  Not the entire tensioner, but just the pulley.

Offline Ron

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mazda 3 GT, 2012 Mazda 5 GT
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 02:58:53 pm »
Oh I wasn't clear, in my example I replaced the whole assembly not just the pulley.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2017, 03:00:40 pm »
In the time of all the discussion and debate you could have gone to Canadian Tire, spent the $60-80 on two new belts and a pulley and remedied the situation.....just saying.
Lighten up Francis.....

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2017, 04:41:57 pm »
In the time of all the discussion and debate you could have gone to Canadian Tire, spent the $60-80 on two new belts and a pulley and remedied the situation.....just saying.

I support every part of that statement....

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2017, 04:56:47 pm »

THERE'S NO FUN IN THAT. We need a dozen pages of debate and humming-and-hawing about it.

This summer the kid and I swapped brake discs, pads and calipers as well as changing the serpentine belts including the tensioner and pulleys and a bunch of other jobs on the Forester in less time than some people go out and stand in the driveway scratching their noggin.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2017, 04:59:30 pm »

THERE'S NO FUN IN THAT. We need a dozen pages of debate and humming-and-hawing about it.

This summer the kid and I swapped brake discs, pads and calipers as well as changing the serpentine belts including the tensioner and pulleys and a bunch of other jobs on the Forester in less time than some people go out and stand in the driveway scratching their noggin.

My buddies and I took the top end off of a Chev SBC and replaced the heads, intake, water pump, rad, carb, distributor and fuel pump in less time that its taking for our fearless hero here to do a 15 minute job  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2017, 05:04:14 pm »

My buddies and I took the top end off of a Chev SBC and replaced the heads, intake, water pump, rad, carb, distributor and fuel pump in less time that its taking for our fearless hero here to do a 15 minute job  ;D

$5 says he hasn't tried the soap/belt dressing yet...which takes about 5 seconds.    :rofl2: :rofl:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2017, 05:21:23 pm »

$5 says he hasn't tried the soap/belt dressing yet...which takes about 5 seconds.    :rofl2: :rofl:

Where you at Nosan??

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2017, 06:11:59 pm »
He’s busy assembling a two page response. Stay tuned.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2017, 06:42:13 pm »

With the corresponding case law to back it up.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2017, 07:38:51 pm »

I support every part of that statement....
:rofl: :rofl:

Sh!t hit the fan at work - I'll be here for a while.  No time to make such arguments now :P

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2017, 01:02:27 pm »
So the sound doesn't seem to come out when it's warmer - it's more of a cold weather thing, and seems to happen over more RPMs now (still low-revs, or perhaps the sound is just drowned out at higher revs?).

Tried the bar of soap thing.  Didn't make a difference.  I suspect it's the tensioner, be it just the pulley or the whole assembly, I don't know.

I'd change out the pulley and a belt, but I'm not willing to do the tensioner.  Any idea what the cost would be to replace "professionally"?

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2017, 02:25:58 pm »
So the sound doesn't seem to come out when it's warmer - it's more of a cold weather thing, and seems to happen over more RPMs now (still low-revs, or perhaps the sound is just drowned out at higher revs?).

Tried the bar of soap thing.  Didn't make a difference.  I suspect it's the tensioner, be it just the pulley or the whole assembly, I don't know.

I'd change out the pulley and a belt, but I'm not willing to do the tensioner.  Any idea what the cost would be to replace "professionally"?

If the soap didn't change the sound it's probably the pully bearing.  I've changed the whole tensioner when it was original, 10 years old and the spring seemed to be getting weak.  I've also changed just the pully, on a Subaru EV30 you learn to carry spares of each, plus a spare belt in the car.  Changing the whole tensioner and it wasn't much harder than changing just the pully, YMMV
Mr Pickypants

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2017, 05:02:58 pm »
I thought he would be sending it back to the person who gave him the car and ask them to fix it   ;D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2017, 06:04:18 pm »
Since nobody here wants to answer...

CT has the tensioner assembly for $137.99 (balls)
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/goodyear-automotive-belt-tensioner-0146500p.html#srp

Belts are relatively cheap.  Hmm, I may just do the whole thing.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2017, 06:22:08 pm »

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/goodyear-automotive-belt-tensioner-0146500p.html#srp

Nothing wrong with the assembly..it would be the bearing in the pulley.  Pulley is $15.  Try that first.  5 minutes to replace.

Even found a vid for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovuNJhvEzqo
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 06:25:19 pm by rrocket »

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2017, 07:29:56 pm »

Nothing wrong with the assembly..it would be the bearing in the pulley.  Pulley is $15.  Try that first.  5 minutes to replace.

Even found a vid for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovuNJhvEzqo

Yeah pretty straight forward.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2017, 01:14:28 pm »
I posted about doing just the pulley at the top, but then all ya'll suggested that I do the tensioner and belts at the same time.  Now back to suggesting the first easy fix?  Why waste my time?

Oh wait...silly question  :rofl2:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2017, 01:16:42 pm »
Again, belts, pulley, 20 minute job.....weeks ago when you asked.  ;D