Author Topic: 2015 Ford F150  (Read 20746 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: 2015 Ford F150
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 08:47:41 am »
- Lack of leather in the XLT  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Weird complaint. Has the XLT ever had leather? I thought you had to move up to the Lariat for leather.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 08:48:49 am »
I never understand why they put large screens in vehicles and try to make you pay extra for nav.  It's just a frickin' extra chip FFS, about $5 worth.

LOL. Do you think heated seats cost $400 to add? Of course not. Options are priced based on the perceived value that they add.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 08:51:53 am »
I never understand why they put large screens in vehicles and try to make you pay extra for nav.  It's just a frickin' extra chip FFS, about $5 worth.

LOL. Do you think heated seats cost $400 to add? Of course not. Options are priced based on the perceived value that they add.

I know.  But they seem to assume that consumers think that nav costs/is worth $2K.  It doesn't, it's on my phone for free.  Plus it's probably more up to date, is upgradable, and has traffic.  They need to realign their assumptions with todays tech.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 09:07:11 am »
I know.  But they seem to assume that consumers think that nav costs/is worth $2K.  It doesn't, it's on my phone for free.  Plus it's probably more up to date, is upgradable, and has traffic.  They need to realign their assumptions with todays tech.

They have, to some extent. Many nav systems are now in the $500-800 range. Many have traffic and are upgradable.

Nav on my phone is irrelevant. It's not something I want to use in the car – I much prefer an integrated system.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 10:02:20 am »
While I appreciate the integrated system, the problem is that manufacturers need to push updates - I know that Ford does through USB, but not sure about most of the manufacturers.

For example the Odyssey's system looks really really out of date. A few UI updates would go far to make it more appealing.

The $150 Nav unit we have in the Rondo on the other hand offers really nice UI, quick routing, lifetime updates, traffic, and even bluetooth speakerphone, that can all be operated using voice command by saying "voice command".

Northernridge

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 12:01:51 pm »

I think manufactures get away with overpricing lousy navigation technology because it's perceived as a status option by consumers...like leather, etc. Nobody in their right mind would pay $2k (or even $1k) for crappy, un-upragdable navigation purely for it's function.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 12:08:46 pm »

I think manufactures get away with overpricing lousy navigation technology because it's perceived as a status option by consumers...like leather, etc. Nobody in their right mind would pay $2k (or even $1k) for crappy, un-upragdable navigation purely for it's function.

That why I think a $2-300 Garmin or Tomtom is much better than a built in one. Easily upgradeable, for the cost of most factory navs I can upgrade the aftermarket ones 10x over and they are portable.
Lighten up Francis.....

Northernridge

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2015, 12:09:04 pm »

That why I think a $2-300 Garmin or Tomtom is much better than a built in one. Easily upgradeable, for the cost of most factory navs I can upgrade the aftermarket ones 10x over and they are portable.

Ditto.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2015, 12:40:05 pm »
I agree that most manufacturers bundle nav systems with (sometimes unwanted) packages. For example, at least in the US, the Camry LE doesn't offer the option of a navigation system. You need to step up to the XLE which adds things like lower profile tires, leather and noise-reducing windshield. Subaru bundles the nav with a moonroof. With the Passat, you can get the nav option by itself for ~$700 on any trim level (except base maybe), which I think is reasonable.

I'm not sure what the justification is for these bundles (other than profits). However, automotive navigations systems probably have tougher standards to meet, they have to last the life of the vehicle. The portable ones can last a few years and no one would complain. Then, there are the additional costs of installing the gps antenna and wires (and possibly the reverse camera/wires).

It also seems to be becoming increasingly difficult to take apart dashboards to install aftermarket systems. You can't simply slide out the existing double-din unit and slide in a new one.

Phone nav systems seem excellent. However, most cars don't have a convenient/neat method to mount them. You end up having to glue/vacuum a platform to the dashboard/windshield and run an unsightly cable. I would love to have a dash slot where I could snap-in an LTE-enabled iPad Mini or some such tablet. Unfortunately, that is not going to happen.

Sony did introduce a dash unit that is compatible with phones and can charge without cables. However, the user interface apparently is half-baked and the dash unit itself doesn't look good.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2015, 12:47:38 pm »

Nav and infotainment systems used to be a status option in my opinion. Nowadays you can pretty much get NAV in most cars for around $800 - you can even get NAV in 16k Fiesta!!!
I think the German-4 (VW included) still charge too much for NAV, but that's slowly changing too - e.g. 328i/335i now come standard with NAV, etc....

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2015, 01:38:50 pm »

Nav and infotainment systems used to be a status option in my opinion. Nowadays you can pretty much get NAV in most cars for around $800 - you can even get NAV in 16k Fiesta!!!
I think the German-4 (VW included) still charge too much for NAV, but that's slowly changing too - e.g. 328i/335i now come standard with NAV, etc....

VW charges $600-800 depending on the model. On the GTI it's $695 and includes FCW.

Audi A4 has it standard on all but the base model, which is nice.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2015, 01:50:41 pm »
VW seems to be the exception though. Most other manufacturers don't offer a stand-alone nav options in mainstream trim levels. See Camry and Accord, for example.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2015, 02:24:20 pm »

VW charges $600-800 depending on the model. On the GTI it's $695 and includes FCW.

Audi A4 has it standard on all but the base model, which is nice.

That's not true...VW packages their NAV with a bunch of other stuff, so you are forced into a $2-2.5k upgrade to get NAV. But worse than that is the fact that NAV is premium, so if you try to add it to a mid-level trim - such as trendline + or comfortline (with exceptions, e.g. Passat) you can't....
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 05:17:57 pm by Tauri13 »

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2015, 03:03:50 pm »
i think they are a nice looking truck... all this new fancy stuff they have done with new engines and materials is really no big deal for most people i would think...

trucks, it comes down to what can it do and what does it cost... that lease isn't too bad... would take an 84 month payment for me to get a ram crew sport in that range which is my equivalent... dumb rams not having good leases!

I dont find Chrysler has very good lease rates...across the board...

since chrysler credit went away, leases aren't through the manufacturer anymore... so less of the unrealistic residuals and incentivized rates. now chrysler leasing is either "leasing" and actually a finance with an opt out window of three years for a 200 dollar fee, or leasing through a bank which is not in the business of cars, so they don't want to stretch on residuals and end up with a fleet of off lease cars....

... either way, almost best to assume chrysler doesn't lease unless you use a lease company. hence why you see the latest ford ads really pushing the lease and how "with the other guys you are stuck in the same truck for much longer"...

and navs... whatever. while i like it, i prefer to map things out before i get on the road... if i really get stuck, then i use the phone. until the infotainment systems are just a screen to send the info from your phone, i'm most likely not going to have nav in my car... just not worth it.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2015, 05:27:24 pm »

Weird complaint. Has the XLT ever had leather? I thought you had to move up to the Lariat for leather.

Nothing weird...the previous XLT would barely ring at $44k - fully loaded and wout discounts. The same level of equipment in the 2015 XLT pushes the price all the way up to $54k...so yes, XLT without leather for $54k is outrageous in my opinion. There's no way I'd pay that much for anything without leather...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2015, 09:52:03 pm »

Nothing weird...the previous XLT would barely ring at $44k - fully loaded and wout discounts. The same level of equipment in the 2015 XLT pushes the price all the way up to $54k...so yes, XLT without leather for $54k is outrageous in my opinion. There's no way I'd pay that much for anything without leather...

That's not true though. You can still build and price the '14 on ford.ca and I just loaded a '14 XLT EcoBoost 4x4 crew cab up to $56k with cloth seats — and there were a few options I left unchecked.

Turns out you could get leather on the '14 XLT though. $620 over the cost of one with cloth buckets.

Edit: Priced out a '15 as closely as possible and it came to $59k, $3k more than the '15. It also had a few features not available on the '14 though (LED spot lights, twin panel moonroof, etc).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:55:48 pm by OliverD »

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2015, 10:06:49 pm »

That's not true though. You can still build and price the '14 on ford.ca and I just loaded a '14 XLT EcoBoost 4x4 crew cab up to $56k with cloth seats — and there were a few options I left unchecked.

Turns out you could get leather on the '14 XLT though. $620 over the cost of one with cloth buckets.

Edit: Priced out a '15 as closely as possible and it came to $59k, $3k more than the '15. It also had a few features not available on the '14 though (LED spot lights, twin panel moonroof, etc).

No reason to upgrade to the Ecoboost...I priced an XLT with the V8, both 14 and 15! regardless, your point is moot now. The XLT always offered leather, and Ford now forces you into the Lariat. My local dealer has a couple Lariats, exactly how I'd buy it, problem is they want $68k! And if I am spending $68k, I am most definitely not buying a Ford F150 LOL

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2015, 05:44:40 pm »
the actual selling price is 68? wowza. i feel like their must be some discounts to apply there or something... i have a limited crew ecodiesel loaded up on our lot that the selling price is around 50. i find it hard to believe a comparable truck with the blue oval would be 18 grand more.

the xlt is like the ram sport right? it comes with a sporty cloth/leather mix on the interior... but we still have the upgrade to leather on the sport... then it is standard on trims above that (laramie, longhorn, limited)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2015, 05:47:42 pm »
the actual selling price is 68? wowza. i feel like their must be some discounts to apply there or something... i have a limited crew ecodiesel loaded up on our lot that the selling price is around 50. i find it hard to believe a comparable truck with the blue oval would be 18 grand more.

the xlt is like the ram sport right? it comes with a sporty cloth/leather mix on the interior... but we still have the upgrade to leather on the sport... then it is standard on trims above that (laramie, longhorn, limited)
Is that after discount ?
Hey Tooscope
Can you post this month incentives?

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
2015 Ford F150
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2015, 06:25:41 pm »

Ford in only offering $5.5k at this time, so $62k is what they are selling for. The salesman was upset when I told him I'd rather buy a luxury SUV at that price....and then he asked me, how much do you want to pay? I told him, $48k plus .49% for financing, he was like...you are crazy, I pulled an ad from GMC and showed him I could get everything I wanted right across the street for $49k.

So no wonder why these 2 Lariats have been sitting in the lot for 2 1/2 months now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk