Author Topic: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset  (Read 2331249 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset
« Reply #7220 on: August 11, 2017, 10:42:07 am »
at least I am open to work wherever there are openings, not limited geographically

I know it will be hard, but I might get lucky with a teaching position. Who knows.

Online is not the answer. It has its advantages, but it also has its downfalls. Anyone who has been to university knows there is something you get from lectures / tutorials that you just cannot replicate online.
I know , I would do terrible at just on line :censor: , but I had a  discussion with someone younger than me and they said online was the only way to go
 University and colleges are about making money now not about learning
I have a friend that works at Queens she flies all over the world trying to attract students to come to Queens
It all about the money

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #7221 on: August 11, 2017, 11:01:05 am »
yes, it is all about the money, not the learning

money corrupts industries that should not be about the dollars, but rather the product they produce - my own experience has seen that in education and the pet industry

higher education is needed now more than ever in an era of alternative facts, popular wingnut theories [world is flat idiots], and misappropriating history to suit narratives

#professorlivesmatter
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #7222 on: August 11, 2017, 12:20:39 pm »
yes, it is all about the money, not the learning

money corrupts industries that should not be about the dollars, but rather the product they produce - my own experience has seen that in education and the pet industry

higher education is needed now more than ever in an era of alternative facts, popular wingnut theories [world is flat idiots], and misappropriating history to suit narratives

#professorlivesmatter

Remember that quote from Trump during the campaign?....... something about doing great among the "poorly educated"   kinda says it all.  ::)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #7223 on: August 11, 2017, 04:25:44 pm »
I noticed my engine fan was really loud at idle last night from inside the car. Interior fans were off, windows up. This continued throughput my ten minute drive home from the store (checked at each stop).

The fan was quiet when I got home.

Hopefully this isn't a thermostat /water pump issue...but BMW is known for crappy cooling systems. [emoji25]

Gotta drive 4 hrs to Toronto tonight....

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #7224 on: August 11, 2017, 05:54:51 pm »
it may take me time to get a prof job

I know a lot of academics, and they say that tenure track positions are harder than ever to land.  Universities are under pressure to cut costs, so they use sessional instructors for more and more instruction and care more about filling large classes than the quality of teaching.  The double whammy is that unless you bring bucks from industry for your research, they're also not as interested.

I hate what's happened to universities in terms of basic research and discovery for the sake of it.

That said, this discouraging situation seems to have diverted more people away from doctorates, so I understand that while there are fewer positions, there is an ebb in the number of seekers as well.

The biggest problem is that professors never want to retire - I see this on a daily basis because most of the peeps I work with are brilliant but 5y+ over retirement age.

Universities should be encouraging them to go so new blood can start flowing into the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7225 on: August 11, 2017, 06:54:57 pm »
 :iagree:

they are holding up the entire profession, they retire late from their positions, and when they do, they still never leave because they become "emeritus" and still take 1-2 course slots that could be for some starving young prof trying to get some more experience [ME!]

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7226 on: August 11, 2017, 07:11:58 pm »

they are holding up the entire profession, they retire late from their positions, and when they do, they still never leave because they become "emeritus" and still take 1-2 course slots that could be for some starving young prof trying to get some more experience [ME!]

Yup, there’s a limit to being brilliant when you are screwing up the system...unfortunately this will not happen anytime soon within the U15.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #7227 on: August 12, 2017, 05:23:38 pm »
My dad is a professor and he turns 65 this year. Quite frankly, I just can't see him retiring right away. If you're still physically and mentally fit and still want to do the job, why stop?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #7228 on: August 12, 2017, 06:53:18 pm »

Have you ever considered a proper career ( not just a job) in private enterprise?     Or is military history so much your only thing that you have never considered anything else?
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7229 on: August 12, 2017, 07:10:13 pm »
@OliverD - because profs not retiring is holding up the entire profession, there are many young, hungry, hard working historians who cannot find work while departments are full of profs who should retire, write that elusive magnus opus, tour battlefields and world wonders...you know....retire. Every year it gets worse for academics because the institutions are all about the dollar, not their workforce.

@TPL - I have. I considered a career in high-tech as I am quite good with computer hardware. Even less career prospects and I would have to go to school again for 6 years or so to get to the level of education necessary so I would not only be working at Dell or Best Buy Geek Squad...I even considered opening up a Youtube channel and streaming channel for my video gaming. Again, nearly impossible to make a living unless you are stupid lucky.

I don't have grand aspirations. I do not need to be rich. I would teach first year History 101 for the rest of my days, teach part time...as long as it was guaranteed.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7230 on: August 12, 2017, 08:35:59 pm »
My dad is a professor and he turns 65 this year. Quite frankly, I just can't see him retiring right away. If you're still physically and mentally fit and still want to do the job, why stop?

Because it’s time for him to move on to other great things and let young PHDs learn/explore...too many profs are just like your dad and keep on soldiering on!

I know a few of them, one just kills me - he has 5 teaching assistants because he only teaches one class and does ‘research’ with he rest of his time! He makes a nice 6 figure salary, amazing benefits and will likely die teaching - yup you heard me, he is 73! No wonder why they never retire....the system is totally broken!

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7231 on: August 14, 2017, 08:30:15 am »
You can say the same thing about any industry though.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7232 on: August 14, 2017, 08:33:09 am »
It is particularly pronounced in academia. What other industries have octogenarians still working after retirement on a massive scale?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7233 on: August 14, 2017, 08:46:41 am »

Because it’s time for him to move on to other great things and let young PHDs learn/explore...too many profs are just like your dad and keep on soldiering on!

I know a few of them, one just kills me - he has 5 teaching assistants because he only teaches one class and does ‘research’ with he rest of his time! He makes a nice 6 figure salary, amazing benefits and will likely die teaching - yup you heard me, he is 73! No wonder why they never retire....the system is totally broken!

Are you implying he doesn't actually do research?

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7234 on: August 14, 2017, 09:02:54 am »
I am sure he does, but he should retire and research on his own time, not the faculty's.

You can still do research and be affiliated with a school and not take up a professor slot. My current supervisor does just that.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #7235 on: August 14, 2017, 09:16:06 am »
Assuming they are still fully capable, I'd say it's no one's business but their own if they want to keep working. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #7236 on: August 14, 2017, 09:46:21 am »
People are healthier for longer, so there's no particular reason they should retire while still being productive.

I work with a lot of people who've retired from utilities, decided they didn't care for retirement, and now work as consultants. These folks have a wealth of knowledge that really comes in useful.

It can get tough when they're still working and their physical or mental state starts to deteriorate.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7237 on: August 14, 2017, 10:15:22 am »
Assuming they are still fully capable, I'd say it's no one's business but their own if they want to keep working.

You are absolutely correct.  A productive faculty member at 73 has no less place in an academic faculty than one at 43. 

Chaosphere's suggestion that this scholar should "research on his own time" is laughable.  So if you like what you do and are effective at it, the advice is to do it for free, drawing down on your retirement funds. 

Apart from being transparently ageist, that kind of comment exposes a shortcoming with today's crop of aspiring academics.  Academically strong, they have been lauded for their scholarly skills for many years.  But they lack life experience outside of the academy.  And so there is no internal muscle to filter ludicrous statements like "old people should work for free" or "animals rank in priority to people". 

"I thought it, therefore it is gold" is not a research methodology.

I will try not to take offence from your statements.

I have worked in academia, in a hospital, selling cars, and driving a forklift on night shift at a warehouse. I am not sheltered when it comes to work ethic.

I did not mean on his own dime, I meant not taking up a slot in the faculty pool for teaching subjects / tenure positions. Senior faculty are valuable, but it is really hard for us young academics to get a job when none of them ever retire.

Oh and animals do rank among people. They deserve respect just as much as any other living being. My care for animal rights has absolutely nothing to do with a discussion of academic jobs. Please stick to the subject.

I am just terrified and dismayed that after putting in as much schooling as I have, and busting my ass for so long to get to where I am now, that it may be all for nothing because the faculties are just full of old professors who typically [there are many exceptions to this I know] are much less productive than younger / non tenured academics. Tenure is like the nobility - you strive to get there, you work hard to get there...and by chance if you do...then you can rest as you have made it.

Yes, if you are older and still producing and teaching full time, fantastic. Keep going. But in many cases, this is not so. My own faculty is guilty of this, as was my previous one.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7238 on: August 14, 2017, 10:22:55 am »
People not doing their job is a completely separate issue though.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7239 on: August 14, 2017, 10:31:09 am »
meh, I guess Ill stop complaining and get busy becoming Dr. Chaos and then see if I can become one of the lucky ones to stay in my profession...

if not, back to selling cars I go I guess....with a PhD  :rofl2: