Author Topic: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset  (Read 2331225 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset
« Reply #7200 on: August 05, 2017, 05:10:06 pm »
my latest chapters are getting the no-go from my supervisors, and time is running out

not good, time for even more sleepless nights endlessly editing my behemoth of a PhD

I've defended two Master's theses and honestly, I'm glad I'll never return to it again.  Ugh.  As for chapters, I know your pain.  I've written a book, and my editor keep throwing one chapter back at me.  She's completely correct in doing so.  The chapter completely lacks the voice of the others and I've stalled in trying to fix it.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #7201 on: August 09, 2017, 11:46:53 am »
Mrs. Chaos has informed me that the transmission on the Saab has started to act funny, as if it is slipping

not good, she is taking it to our mech on the 14th, hope the car holds till then...and then limps along until we get the Tesla...
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +28/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 VW Golf City, 2018 Honda CR-V Touring, 2013 Buick Regal GS (RIP)
« Reply #7202 on: August 09, 2017, 12:25:55 pm »
A bit of a long one.

A cousin of mine was studying at a college in Ontario.  I saw him in mid-June in Winnipeg at my wedding.  We hung out before and after the wedding.  All was good.  Then after we are back from our honeymoon (29th of June), he calls me and says he has graduated, but doesn't have any leads on a job yet.  He is moving to a smaller place (a room in shared apartment) but is short on rent money or the security deposit.  I say ok, and send him some cash.  He calls me the next day and says he hasn't found a place and needs to be out of his place by the next day (now im thinking then why did you ask for money the previous day if u hadnt even found a place to move into, but dont say anything).  So I tell him he can come and stay in my basement in Regina while he looks for a job.  Doesn't have to worry about rent/groceries.  So I take back the money I had previously sent him and book him a flight. 

He gets here and the day he arrives he says it was really difficult to move from Ontario to SK.  Then he says his friends in ON have bet him that he will be back in a month.  Both these statements rub me the wrong way.  Again I don't say anything.  He has been here over two weeks now, and hasn't gone out looking for a job once.  Not one day.  Hasn't asked me to print out resumes.  Nothing.  He claims everything is online now.  While that may be true, I still think it helps to go out and drop off resumes, volunteer, make contacts rather than just sit at home all day.  Even at home, I have seen him spend more time on the PS3 than on Linkedin or Indeed.

Now I'm going to be listing my house soon, and moving to Winnipeg into my wife's 1 bdrm condo, while we look for a new house to buy in the Peg.  I ask him how he feels about staying in the house in Regina until it sells.  I figure he'd have the house to himself.  The condo in winnipeg could get a little tight, and i wouldn't have to worry about getting someone to mow the lawn etc when the realtor is showing the house.  He says he wants to come back to ON because he got a call about a job at a mall kiosk in ON, and wasn't able to make the interview cos he was in SK, and he feels he will be getting more calls for ON jobs soon.  I ask what he will do for rent.  He says he will make some arrangements (then why didn't you make those arrangements before?), and that "he is sure" he will get a job within a month. OK, then.  I'm ticked off, and figure he can find his own way back to ON.  But his dad is doing some running around for me to get some paperwork done in India so I figure I owe him, and pay for his flight back.  He says it would be hard for him to be in Regina by himself without a vehicle, and he has a bus pass back in Ontario  ??? ::) ??? ::)  W.T.F?

Now Im thinking what was the point of him ever coming out here?  And have decided that once he goes back to ON, if he needs any financial help, then I will be saying no.  I'm nice, but I'm not stupid.  I'm sure there will be some family drama to come out of this, but the way I see it, if I was unemployed coming out of college/university and someone gave me a place to stay rent-free and put food on the table while I looked for a job, I'd be thrilled. 

I would put it down to "oh he's young and stupid".  Not the case. He is 27.

Update on this - he's back in ON now.  Landed in Hamilton and he wasn't sure how he'd get to London as he was short on cash.  Not my problem.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7203 on: August 09, 2017, 12:30:14 pm »
Mrs. Chaos has informed me that the transmission on the Saab has started to act funny, as if it is slipping

not good, she is taking it to our mech on the 14th, hope the car holds till then...and then limps along until we get the Tesla...
You think it will last 10 years  ???  :rofl:

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #7204 on: August 09, 2017, 12:39:54 pm »

Ha, ha, ha!!!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2114
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7205 on: August 09, 2017, 12:49:56 pm »

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

You sir, get an applaud for that lmao
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
« Reply #7206 on: August 09, 2017, 03:26:53 pm »
A bit of a long one.

A cousin of mine was studying at a college in Ontario.  I saw him in mid-June in Winnipeg at my wedding.  We hung out before and after the wedding.  All was good.  Then after we are back from our honeymoon (29th of June), he calls me and says he has graduated, but doesn't have any leads on a job yet.  He is moving to a smaller place (a room in shared apartment) but is short on rent money or the security deposit.  I say ok, and send him some cash.  He calls me the next day and says he hasn't found a place and needs to be out of his place by the next day (now im thinking then why did you ask for money the previous day if u hadnt even found a place to move into, but dont say anything).  So I tell him he can come and stay in my basement in Regina while he looks for a job.  Doesn't have to worry about rent/groceries.  So I take back the money I had previously sent him and book him a flight. 

He gets here and the day he arrives he says it was really difficult to move from Ontario to SK.  Then he says his friends in ON have bet him that he will be back in a month.  Both these statements rub me the wrong way.  Again I don't say anything.  He has been here over two weeks now, and hasn't gone out looking for a job once.  Not one day.  Hasn't asked me to print out resumes.  Nothing.  He claims everything is online now.  While that may be true, I still think it helps to go out and drop off resumes, volunteer, make contacts rather than just sit at home all day.  Even at home, I have seen him spend more time on the PS3 than on Linkedin or Indeed.

Now I'm going to be listing my house soon, and moving to Winnipeg into my wife's 1 bdrm condo, while we look for a new house to buy in the Peg.  I ask him how he feels about staying in the house in Regina until it sells.  I figure he'd have the house to himself.  The condo in winnipeg could get a little tight, and i wouldn't have to worry about getting someone to mow the lawn etc when the realtor is showing the house.  He says he wants to come back to ON because he got a call about a job at a mall kiosk in ON, and wasn't able to make the interview cos he was in SK, and he feels he will be getting more calls for ON jobs soon.  I ask what he will do for rent.  He says he will make some arrangements (then why didn't you make those arrangements before?), and that "he is sure" he will get a job within a month. OK, then.  I'm ticked off, and figure he can find his own way back to ON.  But his dad is doing some running around for me to get some paperwork done in India so I figure I owe him, and pay for his flight back.  He says it would be hard for him to be in Regina by himself without a vehicle, and he has a bus pass back in Ontario  ??? ::) ??? ::)  W.T.F?

Now Im thinking what was the point of him ever coming out here?  And have decided that once he goes back to ON, if he needs any financial help, then I will be saying no.  I'm nice, but I'm not stupid.  I'm sure there will be some family drama to come out of this, but the way I see it, if I was unemployed coming out of college/university and someone gave me a place to stay rent-free and put food on the table while I looked for a job, I'd be thrilled. 

Update on this - he's back in ON now.  Landed in Hamilton and he wasn't sure how he'd get to London as he was short on cash.  Not my problem.
That's the spirit!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7207 on: August 09, 2017, 08:08:28 pm »

no, it already has lasted 10 years - 07 with 235,000 odo

If they are to be believed, my Tesla 3 will be made in summer 2018, i was one of the first 150,000 reservations within a few hours of the public announcement

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7208 on: August 09, 2017, 08:27:44 pm »
An 07 with 235K has lasted?  That's a NEW car to me!   ;D

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #7209 on: August 09, 2017, 09:19:11 pm »
A bit of a long one.

Man If I was that broke, I'd be shitting my pants, not playing PS3 in my cousin's basement for weeks.  ::) I get any job, retail, restaurant, etc.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #7210 on: August 09, 2017, 09:43:14 pm »

lol, yeah...same.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7211 on: August 10, 2017, 12:51:03 am »

lol, yeah...same.
yeah it is not that new of a car, but as a daily it is getting up there...transmission admittedly is the first major thing that has started to come up, not bad for 235k

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +28/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 VW Golf City, 2018 Honda CR-V Touring, 2013 Buick Regal GS (RIP)
« Reply #7212 on: August 10, 2017, 11:30:45 am »
A bit of a long one.

Man If I was that broke, I'd be shitting my pants, not playing PS3 in my cousin's basement for weeks.  ::) I get any job, retail, restaurant, etc.

Yup, exactly.  If I lost my job, I'd maybe take 2 days off and then go and get ANY job, while I applied to get back into my industry of choice.  And that is after being in the workforce for over 10 years, not coming right out of college.   ::)

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7213 on: August 10, 2017, 10:44:05 pm »
I was in the same boat. After graduating with my MA, no jobs in the education / history sector, so I drove a forklift on the night shift at Home Depot, and sold cars during the day at GM to make ends meet. In the meantime, I was applying for my PhD at various universities.

Now I am almost done that. Funny thing is, it may take me time to get a prof job, so I may be selling cars again as I apply for a job in my industry.

Sometimes it is a hard road, but you gotta be an adult about it and suck it up.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7214 on: August 10, 2017, 10:51:52 pm »
it may take me time to get a prof job

I know a lot of academics, and they say that tenure track positions are harder than ever to land.  Universities are under pressure to cut costs, so they use sessional instructors for more and more instruction and care more about filling large classes than the quality of teaching.  The double whammy is that unless you bring bucks from industry for your research, they're also not as interested.

I hate what's happened to universities in terms of basic research and discovery for the sake of it.

That said, this discouraging situation seems to have diverted more people away from doctorates, so I understand that while there are fewer positions, there is an ebb in the number of seekers as well.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
« Reply #7215 on: August 10, 2017, 11:14:20 pm »
IQ had a brutal time finding a nursing job this year..which was shocking to me.

But I guess budgets are tight so they only want to hire new grads...and not experienced nurses.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7216 on: August 11, 2017, 07:14:29 am »
it may take me time to get a prof job

I know a lot of academics, and they say that tenure track positions are harder than ever to land.  Universities are under pressure to cut costs, so they use sessional instructors for more and more instruction and care more about filling large classes than the quality of teaching.  The double whammy is that unless you bring bucks from industry for your research, they're also not as interested.

I hate what's happened to universities in terms of basic research and discovery for the sake of it.

That said, this discouraging situation seems to have diverted more people away from doctorates, so I understand that while there are fewer positions, there is an ebb in the number of seekers as well.
I guess with lectures going on line , they will even need les profs ,
there is  money in skilled trades if you can get into it

Online sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #7217 on: August 11, 2017, 07:34:56 am »
Cost cutting in many fields has gotten crazy. University professors working piecemeal for years on one year or semester contracts paid "per course".....nurses perpetually "part time/casual" even though they are working full time hours are just a couple of examples.

I hate to be one of those people who are always looking back with rose coloured glasses but it seems to me the 60's/70's/80's were a far better time to be a salaried employee. Jobs seemed to be more secure and stable with advancement and steadily increasing wages. Growing up I knew lots of single income families with stay at home moms and a secure, comfortable lifestyle.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #7218 on: August 11, 2017, 08:45:33 am »
Cost cutting in many fields has gotten crazy. University professors working piecemeal for years on one year or semester contracts paid "per course".....nurses perpetually "part time/casual" even though they are working full time hours are just a couple of examples.

That's been going on for a long time though. Growing up my best friend's dad was in the history department at StFX. Had five kids and never knew if he would have a job the next year. Pretty tough.

A friend of mine recently got a tenure-track position at the University of Guelph soon after getting his PhD. Another friend of mine is just finishing his PhD and his wife really wants to be on the east coast but there aren't exactly a bunch of options that let you be picky about where you go.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7219 on: August 11, 2017, 10:20:57 am »
at least I am open to work wherever there are openings, not limited geographically

I know it will be hard, but I might get lucky with a teaching position. Who knows.

Online is not the answer. It has its advantages, but it also has its downfalls. Anyone who has been to university knows there is something you get from lectures / tutorials that you just cannot replicate online.