Author Topic: Vacations 2024  (Read 8022 times)

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Re: Vacations 2024
« Reply #180 on: Yesterday at 09:23:44 am »
A part of the world I've never seen, very cool!

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: bugatti
« Reply #181 on: Yesterday at 09:54:29 am »
that looks like a nice place.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #182 on: Yesterday at 10:15:10 am »
@firm, indeed the beaches of the "Forgotten coast" are fantastic, and draw mostly the locals or drive-ins like you as it's not an easy area to fly to for us Eastern Canadians.

Salt - you're not used to saltwater, eh? We spent so much time around New England beaches and abroad to know all about salt film. Our Maine beach house we co-owned for a few years was high up on a rocky hill above and behind oceanfront homes, but all the outdoor metal - hinges, lights, etc. - rusted up after just a couple of years. Nice for swimming though, especially down South - you float so easily in heavily salted waters! Just don't get it in your eyes  :P

All very true - I've been to Central and South Florida (for work) and the culture there is very different than the panhandle area, the panhandle feels a lot more like what we're used to in Tennessee, much more of a traditional southern culture than you get in the rest of Florida. Most of the vacationers we met, or license plates we saw, were from the southern states or, Wisconsin / Illinois - which I guess is a fairly straight shot for them to drive down. Saw quite a few North/South Carolina plates too which surprised me, figured they have lots of good beach options closer to home.

Only other times I've been by the coast like this it was either trips to Mexico as a kid, and I would've been too young to notice things like the salt air, or our honeymoon in Cuba, and I don't recall noticing much then - but I didn't spend much time on that trip sober, and if memory serves the weather was really calm.

One pleasant surprise in the Pensacola area; real estate is fairly attainable....There are some mega mansions on the water for $4-5M, a 'nice' place on the water is maybe $1M, but if you're OK being a couple block inland (say a 5-10 minute walk to the beach) there are plenty of options around $300K for a nice little bungalow. Lots of people in the office have vacation properties here, now I understand why

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #183 on: Yesterday at 11:10:01 am »
@firm, indeed the beaches of the "Forgotten coast" are fantastic, and draw mostly the locals or drive-ins like you as it's not an easy area to fly to for us Eastern Canadians.

Salt - you're not used to saltwater, eh? We spent so much time around New England beaches and abroad to know all about salt film. Our Maine beach house we co-owned for a few years was high up on a rocky hill above and behind oceanfront homes, but all the outdoor metal - hinges, lights, etc. - rusted up after just a couple of years. Nice for swimming though, especially down South - you float so easily in heavily salted waters! Just don't get it in your eyes  :P

All very true - I've been to Central and South Florida (for work) and the culture there is very different than the panhandle area, the panhandle feels a lot more like what we're used to in Tennessee, much more of a traditional southern culture than you get in the rest of Florida. Most of the vacationers we met, or license plates we saw, were from the southern states or, Wisconsin / Illinois - which I guess is a fairly straight shot for them to drive down. Saw quite a few North/South Carolina plates too which surprised me, figured they have lots of good beach options closer to home.

Only other times I've been by the coast like this it was either trips to Mexico as a kid, and I would've been too young to notice things like the salt air, or our honeymoon in Cuba, and I don't recall noticing much then - but I didn't spend much time on that trip sober, and if memory serves the weather was really calm.

One pleasant surprise in the Pensacola area; real estate is fairly attainable....There are some mega mansions on the water for $4-5M, a 'nice' place on the water is maybe $1M, but if you're OK being a couple block inland (say a 5-10 minute walk to the beach) there are plenty of options around $300K for a nice little bungalow. Lots of people in the office have vacation properties here, now I understand why

I noticed the real estate too, but the area comes with a big Damocles sword: hurricanes.

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #184 on: Yesterday at 12:15:17 pm »
Yep, that's the trade-off for coastal living. I don't think I would want my primary home to be there, especially with how the weather has been getting lately...but a vacation home, meh, wouldn't keep much of value in the house.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #185 on: Yesterday at 06:54:15 pm »
Looks like a beautiful area.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson