Author Topic: Test Drive: 2017 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2  (Read 5312 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Test Drive: 2017 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2017, 03:30:46 pm »
These prices HAVE gone up more.  Not too long ago you could get a brand new Ranger 4x4 for a third of the price of this truck.  No doubt this truck is a lot nicer and more capable than a Ranger, but it's not 3 times nicer.

Yup, when the Ranger went out of production, they had brand new FX4s, extended cab, full load, 4L V6 with a rear locker, mud tires and skid plates for ~$21k. I'm still kicking myself for not picking one of those up  :'( :'(
to be fair, that $21k was when they were clearing them out...and while they were nicely priced (when they were discontinued), they were riding on very old platforms whose costs were paid for likely 15 years prior...yes, this new truck is a lot more money, but it is a lot of truck, loaded up with plenty of high end gear and features...while the old Ranger was a decent little trucklet, this new ZR2 would eat its lunch day in and day out.

Oh yeah, I have no doubt about the fact the new truck is nice, safer, more comfortable, gets better mileage and is more capable, but damn near $40k price difference, I don't know about that.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 03:31:55 pm »
These prices HAVE gone up more.  Not too long ago you could get a brand new Ranger 4x4 for a third of the price of this truck.  No doubt this truck is a lot nicer and more capable than a Ranger, but it's not 3 times nicer.

Yup, when the Ranger went out of production, they had brand new FX4s, extended cab, full load, 4L V6 with a rear locker, mud tires and skid plates for ~$21k. I'm still kicking myself for not picking one of those up  :'( :'(
to be fair, that $21k was when they were clearing them out...and while they were nicely priced (when they were discontinued), they were riding on very old platforms whose costs were paid for likely 15 years prior...yes, this new truck is a lot more money, but it is a lot of truck, loaded up with plenty of high end gear and features...while the old Ranger was a decent little trucklet, this new ZR2 would eat its lunch day in and day out.

It would, but 3 times the price!!!!  Even if a brand new Ranger was $30k (I believe you could get an FX4 Level II for that price), this new ZR2 is twice the price!!!

In the end, there's not that much different.  Both have 5.5-6' beds, both are extended cab, both have big, torquey V6's up front, both have 4x4.  Sure, one comes with e-lockers, fancy shocks and a somewhat nicer interior, but that's not worth $30k more.

I think what happened, is when the Ranger left the market, the only manufacturer left making mid-size trucks was Toyota (I don't count the Frontier, because their sales numbers show they're not really a player).  Tacoma's have always been very, very expensive.  GM is now trying to compete against Toyota, the only real player left.  This means the bar has been risen very far upwards, as far as price is concerned.  Sad, really, as the the only reason to buy a mid-size truck used to be price.  Now, what else is there?  Other than being easier to fit in a parking space or a garage, a full-size truck is better in every way. 

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 03:32:39 pm »

Oh yeah, I have no doubt about the fact the new truck is nice, safer, more comfortable, gets better mileage and is more capable, but damn near $40k price difference, I don't know about that.
more like $15-$20k when they were new.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2017, 03:34:11 pm »

more like $15-$20k when they were new.

I think the Rangers were around the $30k range brand new...still, $25k+ is a lot of money.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2017, 03:40:52 pm »
Ranger never came with 4 full doors like the ZR2 does... a 2010 Explorer Sport Trac in Limited guise had an MSRP of $42k!!! That's 7yrs ago, so this truck while expensive, isn't really overpriced in comparison to that figure from 2010!

XLT V6 Automatic 5 Speed $35,699 
XLT V8 Automatic 6 Speed $37,199 
Limited Automatic 6 Speed $42,299
Adrenalin Automatic 6 Speed $43,199
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2017, 03:46:24 pm »

It would, but 3 times the price!!!!
it wasn't 3 times the price, and you can't compare the two trucks.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2017, 03:48:42 pm »

It would, but 3 times the price!!!!
it wasn't 3 times the price, and you can't compare the two trucks.

Of course you can.  cab up front, box out back, big, torquey V6, 4x4.  Seems comparable to me.  There are only so many ways you can build a truck...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2017, 03:50:18 pm »

It would, but 3 times the price!!!!  Even if a brand new Ranger was $30k (I believe you could get an FX4 Level II for that price), this new ZR2 is twice the price!!!

In the end, there's not that much different.  Both have 5.5-6' beds, both are extended cab, both have big, torquey V6's up front, both have 4x4.  Sure, one comes with e-lockers, fancy shocks and a somewhat nicer interior, but that's not worth $30k more.

I think what happened, is when the Ranger left the market, the only manufacturer left making mid-size trucks was Toyota (I don't count the Frontier, because their sales numbers show they're not really a player).  Tacoma's have always been very, very expensive.  GM is now trying to compete against Toyota, the only real player left.  This means the bar has been risen very far upwards, as far as price is concerned.  Sad, really, as the the only reason to buy a mid-size truck used to be price.  Now, what else is there?  Other than being easier to fit in a parking space or a garage, a full-size truck is better in every way.

This is the biggest issue with these trucks in my opinion. Beyond a bit of space savings in this mythical tiny garage, there are literally "0" reasons not to go to a full size.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2017, 03:53:51 pm »
Ranger never came with 4 full doors like the ZR2 does... a 2010 Explorer Sport Trac in Limited guise had an MSRP of $42k!!! That's 7yrs ago, so this truck while expensive, isn't really overpriced in comparison to that figure from 2010!

XLT V6 Automatic 5 Speed $35,699 
XLT V8 Automatic 6 Speed $37,199 
Limited Automatic 6 Speed $42,299
Adrenalin Automatic 6 Speed $43,199
here's a brochure of the 2011 Ranger (the last model year for North America).

https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=Ranger&year=2011&postalCode=72201

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2017, 03:57:03 pm »
Of course you can.  cab up front, box out back, big, torquey V6, 4x4.  Seems comparable to me.  There are only so many ways you can build a truck...
the engines are very different...as is the off road capability...the Ranger was never available as a 4 door...add in the feature content and there you go...these trucks are about as similar as a base Frontier and a Raptor...why not compare those while you're at it.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2017, 03:57:08 pm »

This is the biggest issue with these trucks in my opinion. Beyond a bit of space savings in this mythical tiny garage, there are literally "0" reasons not to go to a full size.

As someone who has had a full size and now midsize truck, there is about $8-10,000 difference between the two when you compare similar options. 

Currently the new Tundra Off-Road is about $50,000 while Tacoma Off Road is $40,000.  F-150 supercrew with 302a and 2.7 V6 is $48,000-$50,000 after you take off $10,000 that Ford seems to have in markup available all the time. Yes, you can get a really basic full size truck in the high 30k range from all 3 big makes, but then there are lower trim midsize trucks out there too that can be had in the high 20k range. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 04:02:36 pm by greengs »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2017, 04:02:57 pm »
the engines are very different...as is the off road capability...the Ranger was never available as a 4 door...add in the feature content and there you go...these trucks are about as similar as a base Frontier and a Raptor...why not compare those while you're at it.

My point is, the technology and the refinement of the Chevy has increased at the same rate as every single other vehicle, but the pricing has jumped way ahead.  Look at Honda Civic, for example.  The current Civic is MILES ahead of the previous (8th) gen Civic, as far as interior materials, standard and optional equipment, and even engine power. But the price has remained more or less steady, and has only increased at the rate of inflation.

So, yes, I WILL compare the previous gen of trucks, including the Ranger, when discussing pricing and why it's jumped up significantly.  You can do it in every other class of vehicle.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2017, 04:18:39 pm »

My point is, the technology and the refinement of the Chevy has increased at the same rate as every single other vehicle, but the pricing has jumped way ahead.  Look at Honda Civic, for example.  The current Civic is MILES ahead of the previous (8th) gen Civic, as far as interior materials, standard and optional equipment, and even engine power. But the price has remained more or less steady, and has only increased at the rate of inflation.

So, yes, I WILL compare the previous gen of trucks, including the Ranger, when discussing pricing and why it's jumped up significantly.  You can do it in every other class of vehicle.

Agree on the Chevy Colorado in genera, but I think that in the case of the ZR2 specifically its not a fair comparison. It would be like using the Civic Type R as an example of pricing for Civics in general. ZR2 is a specialty vehicle.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2017, 04:26:31 pm »
Agree on the Chevy Colorado in general, but I think that in the case of the ZR2 specifically its not a fair comparison. It would be like using the Civic Type R as an example of pricing for Civics in general. ZR2 is a specialty vehicle.
bingo.

and let's not forget, the Ranger was developed in the late 70s and launched in the early 80s...in its 28 year lifespan, there were only two generations of the truck, with a couple of face-lifts throughout its product cycle...i get it, the Ranger was cool (i always like them) and it was a decent little truck, but it was a basic dinosaur in comparison to the new truck...this new ZR2 is a very different animal, just like the Raptor is a different animal from the $40k F150 XLT...i've tried finding reviews online of Rangers to get an idea of pricing, etc but i couldn't find any...from my memory (which isn't the best) a top trim Ranger was about $35k...that top trim Ranger was still nothing compared to the ZR2, and if you adjust the currency for inflation, you'd likely find that $35k to be more like $40k in today's dollars.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2017, 04:47:55 pm »
Agree on the Chevy Colorado in general, but I think that in the case of the ZR2 specifically its not a fair comparison. It would be like using the Civic Type R as an example of pricing for Civics in general. ZR2 is a specialty vehicle.
bingo.

and let's not forget, the Ranger was developed in the late 70s and launched in the early 80s...in its 28 year lifespan, there were only two generations of the truck, with a couple of face-lifts throughout its product cycle...i get it, the Ranger was cool (i always like them) and it was a decent little truck, but it was a basic dinosaur in comparison to the new truck...this new ZR2 is a very different animal, just like the Raptor is a different animal from the $40k F150 XLT...i've tried finding reviews online of Rangers to get an idea of pricing, etc but i couldn't find any...from my memory (which isn't the best) a top trim Ranger was about $35k...that top trim Ranger was still nothing compared to the ZR2, and if you adjust the currency for inflation, you'd likely find that $35k to be more like $40k in today's dollars.

Top trim Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0L in 2010 was $26,699 MSRP.  With the perpetual Ford incentives they could be had for low 20K range back then.  I do remember the 4 cylinder 4x2 models were in the low teens.  Ranger easily outsold the Tacoma back then, people wanted these cheap trucks.  Ford screwed up and they are now racing to try and bring the Ranger back to North America.

https://carcostcanada.com/Canada/Prices/2010-Ford-Ranger/19814/

and here is 2008 pricing.  Even more trims. 

https://carcostcanada.com/Canada/Prices/2008-Ford-Ranger/17197/ 

So only 10 years ago you could get a basic truck for next to nothing.  Ford did run incentives on these just like they do with all their trucks now. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 04:53:37 pm by greengs »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2017, 05:01:20 pm »
there were some incentives on these trucks, but mostly when they were discontinued...their push was to move full size, not compact trucks.

looking at the carcost website you linked, the Sport trim with automatic and FX4 package was a hair under $30k...aside from power windows/locks, V6, 4x4 and AC, it was basically a "basic truck"...no heated seats, no leather, no serious off road bits (like the ZR2 has), no infotainment, nothing...it was a nicely dressed 1980s truck...nothing wrong with that, but it's very different from what the ZR2 is...of course the new one is going to be considerably more money, it's considerably more well equipped...it's not like the new truck is $20k more and there's nothing there...there is a TON more in the ZR2 vs a top trim Ranger from back in the day.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2017, 05:58:55 pm »
I think the problem here with the smaller trucks such as the ranger was the fuel mileage. The 3 liter and 4 liter burned as much gas as a full size
so everyone says get the full size.
They just need more efficient engines for the size of the vehicle. There is still a market for the ranger sized vehicle.
This was one of the reason I chose the older frontier . The size was right and didn't  need to own an oil company to run one.
Bring back the trucklets.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2017, 06:52:20 pm »
I thought you were able to option these with the 5.3 V8,  or did I dream that?

You were able to get that engine in the previous gen Colorados.

Yep, and just TRY to find one. Rare, rare, RARE!

There's one in Ontario. 
About 20 min away from me if you want to buy it   ;D

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Chevrolet/Colorado/Cambridge/Ontario/5_34311439_20100401123616930/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=1_15_1

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2017, 07:28:48 pm »
Now that's one great looking truck.  I was never interested in a mid size truck when I got mine this summer, but if I was in the market for one, this would get a serious look.  As for pricing, not much of anything is cheap these days.  You can price out a LOT of vehicles today to the tune of $50k.
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2017, 08:11:41 pm »
Wasn't there just a thread by Railton who mentioned his guitar teacher picked up a base Colorado for 24 grand?
might have been a bit more, but something like that...it looked pretty base.