Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 430684 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #800 on: January 12, 2018, 12:33:37 pm »
Motovlog Part 1 of my last ride of the year last month. Catching up on video editing...

https://youtu.be/xIRRu97qETc

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #801 on: January 12, 2018, 02:40:22 pm »
Motovlog Part 1 of my last ride of the year last month. Catching up on video editing...

https://youtu.be/xIRRu97qETc

Haha, typical biker, you speed up for corners.  ;D

It's +9c here today, I could have been out, but it's just too damn wet-foggy-drizzly.
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: January 12, 2018, 11:32:08 pm »
I liked it!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: January 13, 2018, 02:34:42 pm »
Thanks all! I don’t think I sped up but maybe it was subconscious. Lol.

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: January 15, 2018, 12:15:52 pm »
Every year at this time I flirt with the idea of parting ways with my KLR650...so I started comparing insurance to other bikes, which unfortunately play a big role in deciding what I ride in Southern Ontario.

CB500x was $100 more per year than my KLR and a Verseys 650 LT was $100 less than my KLR...go figure.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: January 15, 2018, 01:30:26 pm »
Versys seems like a no brainer then. Have you looked at V-Strom as well?

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #806 on: January 18, 2018, 10:53:13 pm »
So last week, I borrowed my cousin's scooter in Taiwan and explored the city a bit. Not at all risky, ya know, riding a scooter for the very first time that's not yours. In Asia.

Kind of interesting, and neat as a means of transport. The typical small ones are so light, it's like a toy ! And then it felt weird sitting with your feet on a flat platform, and I kept utilising the rear brake by accident, and kept thinking about clutching in at lights, except well, no. The acceleration was pretty decent, and although I didn't particularly like being tossed around in the crosswinds as I went over urban speeds outside of town, I did manage to get up to 70-90 in a few sections. I don't think there were any speed cameras where I was riding....... :shuffle:

But I think I'll take my real motorcycle, thank you very much.  :pimp:

Fun fact: motorcycles are prohibited on most freeways in Taiwan. Funny, considering how two-wheels is such a popular way to get around, and the speed limits on freeways are so damn low anyway.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: January 18, 2018, 11:12:15 pm »
All motorcycles?  :o

I kinda miss riding scooters sometimes but I do love my 300 class as I'm sure you do as well.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: January 18, 2018, 11:13:57 pm »
Motovlog Part 2 for the December Ride in Kelowna series, some twisty fun up the Westside Road and a bit of wildlife viewing too.

https://youtu.be/1Cx8dtqITco

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: January 19, 2018, 08:40:01 am »
All motorcycles?  :o

I kinda miss riding scooters sometimes but I do love my 300 class as I'm sure you do as well.
Yes, all motorcycles are banned. The local motorcyclists have been trying to lobby the gov't to open up freeways to real motorcycles (>300cc) for years but there's a big opposition and thus the gov't has been dragging its feet. The perception of motorcycles is really different there.

I actually saw a couple R3s when I was there on the street. Once our taxi pulled up at a light next to one and I was thinking "oooohhhhh that's my bike, except in blue." Then again, speed limits there are so low, and the red lights so long, I don't know if I'd want to ride there. It's like Canada (possibly worse), except photo-controlled everywhere.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: January 22, 2018, 03:13:06 pm »
I've seen videos of scooters riding around in Taiwan and been to Vietnam, they're treated as bicycles with gasoline engines. But it certainly doesn't help that the scooter riders act like that. It's unfortunate that motorcycles are lumped in the same boat. I would've though that freeways in Taiwan are privatized like they are in Japan.

You can't lump all of Canada into that, it varies from province to province just like it varies state by state. Ontario  has low speed limits combined with fairly strict enforcement. Alberta also has strict enforcement but at least their speed limit is a bit more reasonable although they should get on the 120 km/h train like BC has, Hwy 1, 2, and 16 can definitely handle 120 km/h.

BC has a combination of reasonable speed limits and lax enforcement. The reason I heard was that the police in BC tends to be very well funded plus they do have a lower number of police per capita so they don't have the time or need for speeding ticket revenue, someone is excessively speeding -- going more than 40 over on the highway. There are exceptions, I wouldn't go more than 20 over in the city, and wouldn't go a single km/h over in school zones and when passing emergency vehicles with flashing lights (40 km/h for speed limits up to 70 km/h, 70 km/h in speed limits 80 and up)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #811 on: January 26, 2018, 03:49:34 pm »
Nearly 9 months later, I finally post my review of the 2017 Honda Rebel 300. Warning, I sing terribly and I pun terribly, twice.

https://youtu.be/XyKyYvS5Nic

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: January 27, 2018, 09:02:41 am »
Nearly 9 months later, I finally post my review of the 2017 Honda Rebel 300. Warning, I sing terribly and I pun terribly, twice.

https://youtu.be/XyKyYvS5Nic
I've heard worse.......it's not all bad  ;) . And I never tire of the scenery.

I know I'm not the target demographic, but I still struggle to see the appeal of the small "retro" bikes. I wonder if it's to appeal to a certain type of rider that wasn't originally into actually owning/riding motorcycles, but likes the image ? I guess kind of like the crossover SUV of motorcycles......

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: January 29, 2018, 11:57:03 am »
I've heard worse.......it's not all bad  ;) . And I never tire of the scenery.

I know I'm not the target demographic, but I still struggle to see the appeal of the small "retro" bikes. I wonder if it's to appeal to a certain type of rider that wasn't originally into actually owning/riding motorcycles, but likes the image ? I guess kind of like the crossover SUV of motorcycles......

Haha thanks. I wonder if people sometimes mute the speakers to avoid hearing me and just enjoy the scenery. Maybe I should do some un-cut videos of my ride with background music.

The Rebel is a cruiser bike, some people like that style and a buddy of mine bought one. I don't see myself owning one but I think it'd be perfect for my wife who's 5'-4" tall. Then there's the neo-retro naked sport bikes that are coming out in droves. Yamaha first with the XSR900 and 700, then Honda with their CB300R and CB1000R, also Kawasaki Z900RS which is more full retro than neo-retro but still has a naked sport bike riding position.

I've went to the motorcycle shop on Saturday. If I could, I'd seriously have all the bikes. Sport bike when I want to have fun, adventure bike when I want to explore, sport touring when I want to go out of town, scooter when I want to have fun in town. I'm trying to convince my wife that she wants a scooter to go to work so I can ride it when she drives to work.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: January 29, 2018, 12:09:09 pm »
I have a teaser for a trailer I'm releasing this Thursday. Pretty excited. My ambitious road to 1,000 subscribers.

*Deleted original YouTube link to now private trailer teaser*

Official trailer link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2faOSzHbz4
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 12:06:02 pm by DKaz »

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: January 29, 2018, 01:50:39 pm »
I've went to the motorcycle shop on Saturday. If I could, I'd seriously have all the bikes. Sport bike when I want to have fun, adventure bike when I want to explore, sport touring when I want to go out of town, scooter when I want to have fun in town. I'm trying to convince my wife that she wants a scooter to go to work so I can ride it when she drives to work.
Seriously. Powersports dealers are my Achilles' heel........although I'm still not so much an ADV bike kind of person.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: February 02, 2018, 01:32:29 am »
It's ok, I'm not a hardcore dirt person either.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #817 on: February 02, 2018, 12:53:30 pm »
Talking to my brother last night and he mentioned he's just bought a 270hp snowmobile.

I was like 270hp? Really? And he goes yeah, a Yamaha 4 stroke with an aftermarket turbo kit.

He says it's like a dragster.

Did some googling and see they are not uncommon around here, even stock sleds are getting over 200hp on the dyno

http://www.snowmobile.com/features/2018-the-year-of-big-power

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: February 02, 2018, 01:08:13 pm »
Talking to my brother last night and he mentioned he's just bought a 270hp snowmobile.

I was like 270hp? Really? And he goes yeah, a Yamaha 4 stroke with an aftermarket turbo kit.

Did some googling and see they are not uncommon around here, even stock sleds are getting over 200hp on the dyno

As with sport bikes, people really have no clue how fast and hard muscle sleds pull. My SRX, very lightly modded and clutched perfectly was a beast. Imagine something that was capable of 11 second 1/4 mile passes with your butt about 1 foot off the deck...the sensation of speed was incredible and thrilling.

My jaw hit the ground with the stupid dyno numbers the new Yamaha turbo sleds were laying down. And as with cars...there are tons of companies who will reflash the ECU for you for eye popping power.

I love sleds...just wish I got more snow here...though since I lived on the lake...I could still ride it with little snow as long as the ice was frozen.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: February 02, 2018, 02:06:26 pm »

As with sport bikes, people really have no clue how fast and hard muscle sleds pull. My SRX, very lightly modded and clutched perfectly was a beast. Imagine something that was capable of 11 second 1/4 mile passes with your butt about 1 foot off the deck...the sensation of speed was incredible and thrilling.

My jaw hit the ground with the stupid dyno numbers the new Yamaha turbo sleds were laying down. And as with cars...there are tons of companies who will reflash the ECU for you for eye popping power.

I love sleds...just wish I got more snow here...though since I lived on the lake...I could still ride it with little snow as long as the ice was frozen.
I don't frequently get the chance to go sledding (this year with my moving and such I can't) but when I do.....yeah the power even on a smaller sled is impressive. Front-end up everytime I go past 2/3rds throttle.

(Then again I normally ride a 320cc sport bike, so it doesn't take much to impress)