Author Topic: Skis and Snowboards  (Read 484091 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
Re: Skis and Snowboards
« Reply #1100 on: January 23, 2018, 06:43:19 am »
Yeah. At that price point it would be a game changer.  I am constantly waxing 5 pair of skis and while I generally enjoy it, it does get a bit tedious.

Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: January 23, 2018, 06:45:06 am »
Gurgie,. That looks great, way more snow than in town.

PJ, nice turns!  You're definitely getting the hang of running gates.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: January 23, 2018, 09:19:19 am »
Used race skis come up all the time for really cheap prices. When the conditions are hard nothing comes close.

I'd love a pair of GS skis but don't have the room to really let them go.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #1103 on: January 23, 2018, 10:01:48 am »
I think for an all mountain west ski, I'd be looking at the Atomic Vantage 100CTi, or Salomon QST-99.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #1104 on: January 23, 2018, 10:31:32 am »
Nice job PJ you're doing well. Next step IMO would be picking up the speed of your turns. Carve if you can and/or edge hard and quick release.  :thumbup:

I'm absolutely shocked most of the skiers at Whistler are on the 110mm range. Shocked. Are you just getting out there on big powder days? I'm sure these guys have multiple pairs in the quiver cause you'd be crazy to rock a ski that fat as an every day at a resort (and especially Vail North in my opinion at least). To me I'd only reserve something that fat for huge dump days or CAT skiing but obviously to each their own. As an "East Coast Skier" I'm clearly biased for a smaller waist, though. I also agree it's overthinking all this underfoot stuff but it's the nature of the enthusiast. Just like over analyzing cars  :)

Ha, too true, this is just like car stuff - and of course half the fun is in the [over-]analysis. Eh, you may be right actually about the powder days - i do tend to get up to Whis only when there's a good bit of snow, so maybe that does skew my perception, but i've also been up a lot of times when it hasn't snowed in a while, and I still see a lot of wider boards. Just to be clear, by "110mm range" i really mean "105-to-115mm".

For further reference, just from eyeballing it, the one ski i seemed to see the most of in liftlines over the past few years, regardless of day, has been the Atomic Automatic (now called the Backland i think), especially the slightly older one from ~2015, which is around 109mm. Definitely a wide board, but apparently stiff enough to plow through crud and hold an edge, which you of course need in a resort, vs. what I'm guessing are more pristine backcountry conditions.

This talk is solving nothing, lol. I guess that's why people end up with 5 ski quivers.  ;D

I did think about it some more and even though I have overlap I would guess my next purchase will probably be in the +/- 95mm range and get something a little more playful. Although I'm also debating getting back into racing with a Masters program so it could be race skis  ??? ::)

Again, slightly contradicting what I wrote originally, but you're no doubt right, if the flex and shape is different enough from your RTM, a more playful 95mm could certainly make sense - especially when you think of the odd tree/powder skiing you can do out East, a ski that size would be sweet.

Further to your point, after spending a lot of time on my own powder skis, the 117mm line opuses, i'm starting to covet something with maybe the same or slightly less widgth, but stiffer, less surfy and more directional, and more attuned to charging and long GS turns in deep crud. The Opuses reign supreme in the trees and bumps, but i do find myself overskiing them a little when speeds pick up and spaces expand. It could be that I got them too short for my height, but any longer and I'd start to notice a lack of tree agility, which is great to have, especially when skiing places like Cypress. Anyhow...if a 5-ski quiver is perhaps excessive, surely a 4-ski quiver is eminently sensible, right??  :P
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:48:51 am by lebowski »

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #1105 on: January 23, 2018, 10:33:52 am »
P.S. PJ, meant to comment earlier: nice work on the slalom course - lookin' good!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1106 on: January 23, 2018, 11:06:25 am »
Nice job PJ you're doing well. Next step IMO would be picking up the speed of your turns. Carve if you can and/or edge hard and quick release.  :thumbup:

I'm absolutely shocked most of the skiers at Whistler are on the 110mm range. Shocked. Are you just getting out there on big powder days? I'm sure these guys have multiple pairs in the quiver cause you'd be crazy to rock a ski that fat as an every day at a resort (and especially Vail North in my opinion at least). To me I'd only reserve something that fat for huge dump days or CAT skiing but obviously to each their own. As an "East Coast Skier" I'm clearly biased for a smaller waist, though. I also agree it's overthinking all this underfoot stuff but it's the nature of the enthusiast. Just like over analyzing cars  :)

This talk is solving nothing, lol. I guess that's why people end up with 5 ski quivers.  ;D

I did think about it some more and even though I have overlap I would guess my next purchase will probably be in the +/- 95mm range and get something a little more playful. Although I'm also debating getting back into racing with a Masters program so it could be race skis  ??? ::)

As someone with a flexible schedule and living close to the mountains the only time I ski is when there is fresh snow and boot top is the minimum(well 90%, the odd sunny day in the spring). Some years this may be 30 days, others 5.  If no snow I don't go. During draughts it is classic X-country on trackset or perhaps a rip on the studded dirtbike if snow pack is low enough.

Perfect AB and almost all of BC ski is my 104 Armada TST in 193cm. TST was designed with input from Travis Steeger (a local BC ripper). As close to a one ski quiver as one can get out here. A little soft in the tip and dancy at high speed but good everywhere else. They are a fun ski.

About 1:30 in the video below is one of my favourite areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnYJm71H-gQ

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #1107 on: January 23, 2018, 11:07:35 am »
Next step IMO would be picking up the speed of your turns. Carve if you can and/or edge hard and quick release.

Exactly, I did a side by side video of myself last year compared to the fastest guy and it's so obvious from the outside:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYp_H3mWgKU

So hard to see when skiing. For example I think my legs are miles apart, and then the camera shows the damn things are glued together as always.

Love the whole process though, every session is a challenge to improve. Really made skiing interesting again.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #1108 on: January 23, 2018, 11:15:57 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KASBalKtIek
Nice - you're really getting there!  Work on one thing at a time, and I'd say your next would be getting closer to the gates - more aggressive cross-blocking.

https://gearjunkie.com/dps-phantom-permanent-ski-snowboard-treatment

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I am so tempted to buy it, but the buying site shows $40.00 for standard shipping to my address.  That's far too much - an additional 40%!  It's not like this will replace all ski tune-ups (edges, etc), and so it doesn't remove my need to take the skis into a shop, unfortunately.  Waxes are usually simply included in the price of a tune-up.  I don't think you can even ask for an edge grind without a wax job being included, so I'm not sure of the cost savings...

Also, there's a disclaimer in one of the videos:
At extremely low speeds
(under 1.5km, such as in the lift line)
Phantom does not have a slippery, fleshly waxed feel.

Interesting.

Hmm...But for the shipping price, I'd still do it 100%...but that needs to change (or I need to ship it to my cousin in Buffalo ;D)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #1109 on: January 23, 2018, 11:59:29 am »
The DPS rep is a close friend of mine, I'm going to see if I can score some of this Phantom stuff for cheap and try it out on an older pair of skis.

My daughter thinks five pairs of skis is "just a good start..."  She's at six now and still has at least a pair or two on her list.  But of course, she's skied close to 90 days this season, so her viewpoint is a tad different...   ;D

I think 110s are now fashion accessories for a lot of people.  I see more and more people at Marmot Basin in Jasper on them, and while it might be in the mountains, that place is notoriously short on snow.  I've used mine there once, and it was some of kind of record day there.  99.99% of the time, a <80mm ski works great there - you need to turn quickly to avoid rocks and bare spots.  Not kidding.   I have a pair of Solly X-Wings that are perfect skis for that hill.  They're <80 waist, decent shovel if you do find some crud, and they weigh a ton and carve corduroy like no tomorrow.

Skiing regularly around the Rockies to the coast I think my "perfect" quiver would be: (money no object)

Something around 95mm, fairly stiff with a decent amount of camber underfoot and moderate tip rocker for skiing resorts.  I'd have an alpine binding on it.

A super-light carbon "traverse" ski, around 90 at the waist, mounted with a super-light pin-tech binding w/o brakes, etc.  Very moderate tip rocker with lots of edging ability as you never know what you'll find in the middle of nowwhere.

A 110 ski mounted with a burly pin-tech binding like an Ion 12 or maybe even a King-Pin for touring in Roger's Pass or Pemberton or  Kootenays.

The same as above with an alpine binding for deep resort days.

A 115 or even larger big beef ski with an alpine binding for mechanized skiing - heli or cat.  This ski would be different from the 110 resort ski as it would be a full rocker ski - no need to get an edge on anything.  I'd go full-on K2 McKonkey or DPS Lotus 124s.

Five pairs would pretty much do anything I'd ever ski.  That's actually a shorter list than I thought it would be...   :rofl2:

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: January 23, 2018, 12:04:22 pm »
So hard to see when skiing. For example I think my legs are miles apart, and then the camera shows the damn things are glued together as always.

Agreed, it's so hard to really know how you look when you're skiing.  That's why I just assume I am a golden god and don't worry about the rest!

From what I see, the two biggest things you can do to improve your racing (and skiing) is to get more separation at the knees.  On most turns, especially turning right, you end up with an A-Frame stance in the middle of the turn. Modern technique has the knees basically parallel through the turn.  To do this, are you are entering the turn think of leading that turn with the inside knee. Try to engage the edges on both skis, think of it as AWD vs FWD.

The second thing is to get more upper and lower body separation and get the skis further out from under you.  This will increase edge angles and allow for a faster arcing turn.

Compare one screen grab from your video vs. Mikaela Shiffrin.

The side benefit of not using the A-Frame stance and getting the skis out from under you is that you can take a straighter line through the gates.

Sorry, couldn't help but comment.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: January 23, 2018, 12:09:51 pm »
  Waxes are usually simply included in the price of a tune-up.  I don't think you can even ask for an edge grind without a wax job being included, so I'm not sure of the cost savings...

I'm more interested in the time savings.  I tend to get my skis tuned by the shop once a year.  I then wax every 2-3 days that I am out.  So if I'm out 20-30 times in a season that can save me 10 waxing sessions x 5 pair of skis.  At 20-30 minutes per pair, that's a lot of time that I could otherwise spend arguing on internet forums.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #1112 on: January 23, 2018, 12:12:25 pm »
^^^  Yup, skiing groomers rips wax off like crazy.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: January 23, 2018, 12:23:10 pm »
The DPS rep is a close friend of mine, I'm going to see if I can score some of this Phantom stuff for cheap and try it out on an older pair of skis.

My daughter thinks five pairs of skis is "just a good start..."  She's at six now and still has at least a pair or two on her list.  But of course, she's skied close to 90 days this season, so her viewpoint is a tad different...   ;D

I think 110s are now fashion accessories for a lot of people.

There's definitely some truth to that - heck, I'd be lying if I didn't say I partially chose the Opuses over others because they were so darned purrty. BUT I should qualify that and the other stuff I've posted with this proviso: PNW coastal snow and resort chop is, of course, a different breed of dog. It's wet and heavy, and a wider ski just simply works better in it. We're probably anomalous in that way, and I have no doubt that the particular ski that slays it here is perhaps sub-optimal in other, colder snowy places like the Rockies and Interior. To that end, Johngenx, re: quivers, your daughter is obviously wise beyond her years  ;)

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: January 23, 2018, 12:28:52 pm »

As someone with a flexible schedule and living close to the mountains the only time I ski is when there is fresh snow and boot top is the minimum(well 90%, the odd sunny day in the spring). Some years this may be 30 days, others 5.  If no snow I don't go. During draughts it is classic X-country on trackset or perhaps a rip on the studded dirtbike if snow pack is low enough.

Perfect AB and almost all of BC ski is my 104 Armada TST in 193cm. TST was designed with input from Travis Steeger (a local BC ripper). As close to a one ski quiver as one can get out here. A little soft in the tip and dancy at high speed but good everywhere else. They are a fun ski.

About 1:30 in the video below is one of my favourite areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnYJm71H-gQ

Awesome video - and that Ratatat soundtrack is perfect. I hadn't heard of Travis before - a serious ripper indeed. RIP

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #1115 on: January 23, 2018, 01:19:41 pm »
Agreed, it's so hard to really know how you look when you're skiing.  That's why I just assume I am a golden god and don't worry about the rest!

From what I see, the two biggest things you can do to improve your racing (and skiing) is to get more separation at the knees.  On most turns, especially turning right, you end up with an A-Frame stance in the middle of the turn. Modern technique has the knees basically parallel through the turn.  To do this, are you are entering the turn think of leading that turn with the inside knee. Try to engage the edges on both skis, think of it as AWD vs FWD.

The second thing is to get more upper and lower body separation and get the skis further out from under you.  This will increase edge angles and allow for a faster arcing turn.

Compare one screen grab from your video vs. Mikaela Shiffrin.

The side benefit of not using the A-Frame stance and getting the skis out from under you is that you can take a straighter line through the gates.

Sorry, couldn't help but comment.

Thanks! That is helpful, will try leading with the inside knee. The A-frame thing looks like a lot of the problem, the coach earlier was working on me by making me ski with my hands on my knees, now I know what he was after:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/skills/off-piste-ski-technique--how-to-banish-the-a-frame/

When I think it is working it feels like being on a train track, slithering down the hill. Easier to do free skiing, and maybe GS, which we are starting tomorrow.

I know old dogs can learn new tricks eventually, a couple of the other non racer types have dramatically improved their times

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: January 23, 2018, 02:13:41 pm »
I A-frame my a$$ off. Trying to break a long held bad habit. Typical for people that learned in the backcountry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: January 23, 2018, 02:15:23 pm »
I A-frame my a$$ off. Trying to break a long held bad habit. Typical for people that learned in the 70's-80's.

FIFY

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: January 23, 2018, 02:19:50 pm »
I A-frame my a$$ off. Trying to break a long held bad habit. Typical for people that learned in the 70's-80's.

FIFY

:rofl:

Both are true, 70's thru early 90's and backcountry.... because you are keeping your feet closer together, hard not to A-frame more when skiing in that kind of position.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: January 23, 2018, 02:39:20 pm »
Here's a decent video... plus he's rocking some cool skis  :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWKkcE1bn04