Author Topic: Comparison Test: Diesel Luxury Sedans  (Read 11518 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Comparison Test: Diesel Luxury Sedans
« on: January 20, 2014, 06:30:59 am »

Meet the Mercedes-Benz E 250 BlueTec 4Matic, the BMW 535d xDrive and the Audi A6 TDI Quattro. All are 2014 models, all feature four driven wheels, and all aspire to keep you comfy, in the fast lane and away from the fuel pumps. But hold the phone. One of these things is not like the others. Find out which.

Read More...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Comparison Test: Diesel Luxury Sedans
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 08:03:55 am »
Interesting choice of the MB as the winner here. Certainly the 17 -25K price premium for the other two raises the question "How good is good enough?". My only beef with Mercedes is the widespread use of the Artico vinyl upholstery across it's model range. In a value priced B or C class sure but once you get above that leather should be standard. I've had my ML with the Artico for more than 2 years now and I'm still not a convert. Just seems too rubbery to me to be in a 60K+ luxury car.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 08:06:47 am by sailor723 »
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Northernridge

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 08:25:58 am »
Great review you guys. All great cars too, comes down to budget and personal taste IMO, not separating good from bad. I'm not sure what I'd do in the $85-90 price range...diesel vs V8 gas??

Also agree with your comments on the new E Class snout. I don't think it suits the body that it's clipped to. Hopefully the next full redesign will result in something more coherent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Now free...and worth it (which means valueless).

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 08:41:18 am »
German (luxury) diesels that keeps you "away from the fuel pumps".
Hmmm...Germans have a parameter cost of operation per km. How about after 5-8 years?

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 08:59:21 am »
Great review you guys. All great cars too, comes down to budget and personal taste IMO, not separating good from bad. I'm not sure what I'd do in the $85-90 price range...diesel vs V8 gas??

Also agree with your comments on the new E Class snout. I don't think it suits the body that it's clipped to. Hopefully the next full redesign will result in something more coherent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Now free...and worth it (which means valueless).

glad I'm not alone on the snout objections...

The BMW and Audi definitely come down to a question of diesel vs V8 (same with the Ram for that matter). The diesels provide all that torque and an incredible surge of power that might be enough for those that want that feeling, plus want to cut fuel costs and perhaps contribute to reduced fuel consumption.

What impressed me most was the feel of those Audi and BMW sixes - they had their companies' signature character rather than just seeming like generic clattery diesels (the inline-six vs V6 explains that). they 'felt' like proper luxury car upgrade engines. The E 250 got by, but it did not earn many points for the peripheral attributes of its engine.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Northernridge

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 09:17:17 am »
I lost track of why MB switched to the new, smaller diesel in the Canadian E Class. Can't remember any criticism of the last one. I do recall it only being available with the old 5-speed auto and RWD.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 09:22:17 am »
Good question NR. Why isn't Benz using their 3.0L diesel in the E? It would put the HP and torque numbers up on a par with the competition.

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 10:03:28 am »
"The exquisite design, detailing and craftsmanship elevate the A6 to another plane."

I must be missing something, somehow; went back and studied the interior shots and I can't see what you guys see. The A6 looks by far the least pleasant interior, to my eyes anyway. The steering wheel alone looks boring and uncentred (vertically), not that that is a big deal, but the overall look just seems black and depressing. Maybe it's just pictures, have to check in the flesh. Good thing the auto show is up soon.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 10:18:45 am »
I lost track of why MB switched to the new, smaller diesel in the Canadian E Class. Can't remember any criticism of the last one. I do recall it only being available with the old 5-speed auto and RWD.

I'm not sure why they switched but perhaps it has been worth it because they've received much praise for offering a diesel as the base powerplant in both the E and GLK. If they were truly ballsy they would offer an E250 diesel wagon. The addition of 4matic certainly makes the diesel option much more appealing in Canada (though sadly, you can't buy a RWD E-class at all in Canada anymore).

BTW, the E250's premium package also includes Parktronic, 360° camera, and the media interface. So $2700 is not a terrible price for that package.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 10:51:53 am »
These cars are in need of a style refresh IMO but one thing stands out to me and that's Bimmers inline 6 in a diesel format.
Having experience with the normally aspirated I6. I can attest to it's smooth characteristics and low rpm torque prowess. Which can only further highlighted in a diesel format.
The I-6 diesel would the ultimate SUV engine for me.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 01:19:35 pm by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 10:58:50 am »
Another great review, autos.ca folks.

I really liked the discussion of the MNFRs strategies when pricing/marketing these particular vehicles - why do you think BMW/Audi are positioning their diesels as "up-market" options over their already-excellent base engines, while MB is offering their diesel as a "value" leader?  My wild-ass conspiracy theory (with absolutely no evidence to back it up!) - although MB's 3.5L V6 is very good, it gets outclassed by BMW's 3.0L turbo and Audi's 3.0L supercharged engines.  Maybe MB is positioning their diesel engine as the "mainstream" engine so that the relatively outclassed V6 won't be the default choice?  Perhaps this is why MB dropped the 3.0 V6 diesel in favour of the 2.1L four cylinder diesel, so that it could be offered at a much lower price point?

All three reviewers might have selected the Benz as the winner, but for my money I'd go with the GS350 AWD.  Yeah, you definitely lose some efficiency with the gas V6, but it's more than offset by the 10 - 20 grand upfront savings.  Not to mention no FGC worries!! ;D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 11:00:40 am »
I'm aware that this is for the 'spensive luxe cars, but this will inevitably turn into a "to diesel or not to diesel..."
I really like that MB made the diesel the base engine.  It makes sense - lowest performance, decent fuel economy.  I hate having to spend more to save ($4,000 premium to save 2L/100km using diesel).

Whereas I'd hardly ever even consider the GLK, the fact that the 250 Bluetec is the base car makes me actually want to consider it as a replacement for the Forester (and with the Forester getting pricier and CVT-ier, I'm actually considering it).

Sask, I like your thinking :P  Maybe Lexus will start bringing some diesels over?  What a prank that'd be if they would say "we're bringing you a diesel, North America!...not."

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 11:22:39 am »
Great review guys -- i was surprised to see that same gorgeous wood inlaid with aluminum strips here as in the top dog RS 7

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 11:54:02 am »
I really liked the discussion of the MNFRs strategies when pricing/marketing these particular vehicles - why do you think BMW/Audi are positioning their diesels as "up-market" options over their already-excellent base engines, while MB is offering their diesel as a "value" leader?  My wild-ass conspiracy theory (with absolutely no evidence to back it up!) - although MB's 3.5L V6 is very good, it gets outclassed by BMW's 3.0L turbo and Audi's 3.0L supercharged engines.  Maybe MB is positioning their diesel engine as the "mainstream" engine so that the relatively outclassed V6 won't be the default choice?  Perhaps this is why MB dropped the 3.0 V6 diesel in favour of the 2.1L four cylinder diesel, so that it could be offered at a much lower price point?

The 2015 E550 is being replaced by the E400 which has the new turbocharged V6 that is debuting in the C400. I'm not sure if that means there will continue to be an E350 or not. Regardless, the Mercedes V6 will not be outclassed for long.

I wonder if the use of the 2.1 four has anything to do with it being compatible with 4matic. RWD luxury cars are a non-starter in Canada and the northern U.S. so perhaps the ability to marry the four cylinder to the 4matic system took precedence over offering a larger diesel. Makes sense to me.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 12:06:51 pm »

The 2015 E550 is being replaced by the E400 which has the new turbocharged V6 that is debuting in the C400. I'm not sure if that means there will continue to be an E350 or not. Regardless, the Mercedes V6 will not be outclassed for long.

I wonder if the use of the 2.1 four has anything to do with it being compatible with 4matic. RWD luxury cars are a non-starter in Canada and the northern U.S. so perhaps the ability to marry the four cylinder to the 4matic system took precedence over offering a larger diesel. Makes sense to me.

The 3.0 diesel in the ML/GL/S class is used with 4matic.....

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 12:32:36 pm »

Well, the 2005-2006 E320 CDIs used a 3.2L I6 with 5 speed auto.  The 2007+ used a 3.0L V6 with 7 speed auto.  Not any difference in fuel economy between the 2.  In fact, the early 3.0 + 7 speed auto combination wasn't nearly as smooth.  Both were RWD.

It's only with the 2014 MY that we are able to get a diesel AWD E-Class.  MB does sell the 3.0L V6 diesel 4matic E-Class in Europe.  My guess is they went with the smaller diesel for these 2 reasons:  better fuel economy and lower price point.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 12:38:26 pm by mixmanmash »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 12:38:56 pm »
The 3.0 diesel in the ML/GL/S class is used with 4matic.....

And as has been pointed out, the E350 diesel is available in Germany with 4matic anyways.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 12:40:42 pm by OliverD »

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 12:48:28 pm »
I suspect the E350 Bluetec would overlap too much with E350 gasser sales. Either that or they figure they need to move enough 250 units if htey're going to bother with the GLK250.

In any case, it certainly seems beefy enough an engine for the E250s intended purpose. Its not a race car, its a long legged and serene cruiser. If you want to be a goon get a 550/63.

If 4.6 hwy is achievable in the E250....my my that would be impressive.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 02:31:24 pm »
I suspect that this 2litre diesel in the E is because M-B have looked at their product line and the 2016-2025 CAFE ramp up and need a few less l/100 across the fleet they sell in NA.   I am surprised that the 2015 C is not coming with a diesel day 1  and that either the B will or they will import the A...but I suspect thay would have a price point problem with either.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 02:39:05 pm »
It would be a tough call between the Audi or BMW for me, I love the styling and Quattro for the Audi......but the 5 series is a seriously good looking car and that 3L diesel is an epic piece of kit. Like some have said, yeah, the Mercs front clip looks like a tacked on afterthought....
Lighten up Francis.....