Author Topic: Car Dealers to Disappear by 2024  (Read 7177 times)

Offline erich

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-125
    • View Profile
  • Cars: current: 2023 Genesis G70 2.0t,2019 Infiniti QX50, previous:2017 Subaru Legacy, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0T, 2010 Subaru Forrester, 2004 Honda Civic, 2000 SAAB 9-3, 2000 Dodge Caravan, 2000 VW Golf, 1996 Suzuki Baleno, 1990 Subary Justy 1.0GL
Re: Car Dealers to Dissappear by 2024
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 06:09:36 pm »
Does anyone have any suggestions how an EV would work for me?
1. I live in a condo with an underground parkade. There are very few 120V outlets in the parkade, what kind of power supply would be required for 150+ EVs all charging at the same time?
2. I work in a plant 50km from home. Sometimes I go to work, come back in town for a short time (say a doctor's appointment) and then go back to work. I would need the range to do this every day, in any weather conditions from +30 to -40.
3. Go skiing,do up to 400km round trip in a day in temperatures below 0.
4. Vacation, drive Calgary to Vancouver without several hour long recharging stops?

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2017, 06:20:19 pm »
Does anyone have any suggestions how an EV would work for me?
1. I live in a condo with an underground parkade. There are very few 120V outlets in the parkade, what kind of power supply would be required for 150+ EVs all charging at the same time?
2. I work in a plant 50km from home. Sometimes I go to work, come back in town for a short time (say a doctor's appointment) and then go back to work. I would need the range to do this every day, in any weather conditions from +30 to -40.
3. Go skiing,do up to 400km round trip in a day in temperatures below 0.
4. Vacation, drive Calgary to Vancouver without several hour long recharging stops?

1- Your condo will be forced by government in 2022 to install outlets for electric cars, your condo fees will go up significantly to pay for it plus the extra Hydro cost.

2-you can hyper-mile and drive with all hearing and accessories off

3-rent a gas car

4-impossible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2017, 06:45:23 pm »

1- Your condo will be forced by government in 2022 to install outlets for electric cars, your condo fees will go up significantly to pay for it plus the extra Hydro cost.

The extra electricity cost will replace gasoline cost, so that will either be less, or a wash.  Why include it on the condo fees?  Just meter each users plug in.

As for "significant increases" I doubt that.  I own a rental condo and we've replaced the roof, all the exterior surfacing for the buildings, the entire parking lot and all the plug ins for the lot, all the windows and doors and all common area flooring - stuff that needs to get done - and my fees are still decent.  The cost of adding charging stations will be cheap compared to all the other shared costs of maintaining a large structure.  The cost of the station hardware will come down as competition will increase when they're mandated and volumes increase.

More "Chicken Little" crap about EVs.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Re: Car Dealers to Disappear by 2024
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2017, 09:16:02 pm »
The whole plan only works if everyone reverts to ride-sharing services.  That is, individuals stop owning a car, but hail a driverless car to take you where you need to go.  Long distance will be taking one of these cars to public transit (high speed rail between Toronto and London, ON?   :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: ).

That's in the ideal world.

The problem is that the shift will be slow because adoption rates will be slow.  Uber picked up speed very quickly, but Car2Go and the like are not quite as popular as we'd like them to be.

...and people like owning their own vehicles, leaving their crap in the trunk, etc.  It's a much bigger deal than these theorists make it out to be.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2017, 09:21:42 pm »
^^^

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2017, 10:04:43 pm »
The whole plan only works if everyone reverts to ride-sharing services.  That is, individuals stop owning a car, but hail a driverless car to take you where you need to go.  Long distance will be taking one of these cars to public transit (high speed rail between Toronto and London, ON?   :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: ).

That's in the ideal world.

The problem is that the shift will be slow because adoption rates will be slow.  Uber picked up speed very quickly, but Car2Go and the like are not quite as popular as we'd like them to be.

...and people like owning their own vehicles, leaving their crap in the trunk, etc.  It's a much bigger deal than these theorists make it out to be.

Car2Go et al. still requires a driver's license so you're not capturing young people without licenses or old people who can't or don't want to drive anymore. They also don't come directly to you so unless you're going a bunch of places it probably makes more sense to just take an Uber or taxi. And of course you can't take them drunk.  :P

I think the availability of autonomous ride-sharing services will have a big impact on multi-car households. There's likely a ton of people who own two or more cars simply because they need one for occasional use. These people will likely be better off just using a ride-share service instead.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2017, 06:08:51 am »
I read the service schedule for the Tesla and it's very expensive.  The service end of the business is too lucrative for EV makers not to cash in on it, even if it's a sham.  Right now, a lot of the ICE service plans are almost all huge labour charges for inspections and other nonsense.  EVs are the same.  The true cost of maintaining a new ICE car is peanuts compared to what it used to be, especially if you skip the dealer's schedule and do fluids/filters and other actual wear parts.

Agreed, I was talking about actual maintenance need, not the OEM/dealer recommended maintenance (On the Leaf, Nissan recommends to change out the brake fluid every 2 years...). 2 areas where the EV has a gain is oil changes (obviously) and brakes. With regenerative braking you barely use the mechanical brakes on an EV. They should last about forever. They still do require maintenance, but the disks and pads should last over 300K km +.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2017, 07:30:27 am »
I think the availability of autonomous ride-sharing services will have a big impact on multi-car households. There's likely a ton of people who own two or more cars simply because they need one for occasional use. These people will likely be better off just using a ride-share service instead.
I don't disagree, but that said, I still like having the Mazda 3 as an occasional use car and would be hesitant to get rid of it to instead use a pay per use service.

I dislike paying each day for the bus, but have no issues buying a bus pass... I feel like a pay per use service would make me less likely to go out than taking my own car.

Eventually, that would likely change - or better yet, I'll be more active and walk places!

... But even my shift won't be so quick.  These things take a lot of time - and 2024 is not that time for the masses.

There are people who still deny the Holocaust occurred - you think dem peoples is gonna give up der trucks?  How about those that still believe slavery is acceptable?  Not trying to turn this political - just to say that shifts take a long time and are seldom 100%

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2017, 07:39:05 am »
With no diesel trucks, how will goods get from one place to another?  How will anything get built, with no construction equipment?

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline makuribu

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2017, 07:52:35 am »
With no diesel trucks, how will goods get from one place to another?  How will anything get built, with no construction equipment?

Everything will be built by autonomous robots.

Limitless electricity will come from fusion reactors with zero emissions.

Some of that limitless electricity will be used to electrolyse water to produce hydrogen for fuel cells.

Amazon and Walmart will deliver everything by fuel cell powered drones, for free (to Prime members).

And nobody will be poor. At least nobody that matters.
'Cause you can only drive down Main St. so many times

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2017, 08:26:51 am »
The idea that driverless cars for hire will revolutionize the world is a bit of a stretch. We already have vehicles that will arrive at your house and take you anywhere for a fee. They are called Taxis/Limos/Uber. Yet most people do not use them outside of major city centres and still own multiple cars.

Unless vehicle ownership is outlawed, this will not change in our lifetime.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2017, 08:52:31 am »

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
Run on lng
Some like it some don't
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/lng-diesel-bison-shell-cnrail-2016-1.3414257

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2017, 09:01:16 am »
The idea that driverless cars for hire will revolutionize the world is a bit of a stretch. We already have vehicles that will arrive at your house and take you anywhere for a fee. They are called Taxis/Limos/Uber. Yet most people do not use them outside of major city centres and still own multiple cars.

It doesn't have to be outlawed.  it just has to become so prohibitively expensive that most people will just use the much cheaper option of ridesharing.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2017, 09:07:02 am »

It doesn't have to be outlawed.  it just has to become so prohibitively expensive that most people will just use the much cheaper option of ridesharing.

What do you do in areas that have no public transportion?
Cabs in small towns are expensive and are not in the best over shape
They should pour money to battery  research , once batteries are perfected EV will take off

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2017, 09:13:30 am »

Everything will be built by autonomous robots.

Limitless electricity will come from fusion reactors with zero emissions.

Some of that limitless electricity will be used to electrolyse water to produce hydrogen for fuel cells.

Amazon and Walmart will deliver everything by fuel cell powered drones, for free (to Prime members).

And nobody will be poor. At least nobody that matters.
1. probably.
2. Fusion power has been 30 years away for most of my lifetime and still is.
3. There are some plants that produce H2 that way already but it is expensive
4. More likely by autonomous small trucks of course for free
5. Do you think the poor ever mattered?   All the way back to the introduction of the general franchise...and they certainly never mattered before that.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2017, 09:19:52 am »

In theory driverless cars for hire will be cheaper because you don't have the same labour and fuel costs.

Also, let's face it, the actual cab drivers are probably one of the worst aspects of the whole equation. This takes them out of the picture.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2017, 04:53:57 pm »

In theory driverless cars for hire will be cheaper because you don't have the same labour and fuel costs.

Also, let's face it, the actual cab drivers are probably one of the worst aspects of the whole equation. This takes them out of the picture.
Cab drivers are probably cheaper to have than the cost of the it guys that have to fix the software  :rofl2:

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2017, 09:27:09 pm »
You need a lot fewer software developers though.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2017, 05:51:41 am »
Imagine if they got IT people  who developed Phoenix to work on the self driving software , everyone would end in Moosejaw
  ;D

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2017, 10:54:01 am »
Imagine if they got IT people  who developed Phoenix to work on the self driving software , everyone would end in Moosejaw
  ;D

I know you're joking but I doubt that problem can be blamed on the developers.