Author Topic: 2-series  (Read 2939 times)

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
2-series
« on: October 20, 2017, 09:51:59 pm »
I’ve been test-driving a bunch of cars lately, and I decided this morning to stray a little from the somewhat sensible sedans and wagons I've been checking out, and dip my toes in something slightly less pragmatic. So, shining up my wingtips and throwing on my least-wrinkled trousers, I headed over to the BMW Store, where I test drove a 2-series: a non-xdrive, 230i 8AT with the m-sport and track pack.

Test conditions: pouring rain 😊

In short, this was a fantastic car. As anticipated, it felt essentially like a torquier, slightly spryer, maybe homelier version of my old ’05 330Ci M-sport. This was my first drive in a modern, turbo’d, 8AT’d bimmer, and it exceeded expectations.

The 8AT was remarkably responsive and the car had plenty of scoot off the line, right up until about 4,500 rpm. It even sounded pretty good – at low revs, a lot like a big N/A inline 6. Maybe that’s crazy, maybe I just haven’t listened to a lot of inline-6’s lately. But there you go, leave it to BMW to make a 4-banger sound pretty darned good.

I’ve read descriptions of the motor as “diesel-like” in its power delivery and I would agree. At lower revs and especially around town, I really couldn’t see myself missing the bigger 6-cylinder turbo of the 240i, such was the power available, but as the revs increased and the power tapered off, I could envision coveting the bigger motor – even if by then I’d also be firmly in license-revocation territory. So, for the ~3400 lb. 2-series, this is a great drivetrain.

The car steered and rotated very well indeed; about as well as I remembered 330 m-sport doing, and even in the rain, felt like it had far more control and ability than the driver, which is what I like about FGC’s.

The Track Pack included variable ratio steering and adaptive dampers, and even in my tame city driving, I found the different drive modes noticeable and useable, firming/loosening the steering and suspension as desired. It’s probably more gimmick than necessity for my driving style and level of skill, but I certainly enjoyed cycling through the modes; i.e. when I wanted to relax, Eco Pro was great for leisurely cruising, and when I wanted to “get after it”, Sport + firmed things up perfectly.

The seats, visibility and driving position were excellent for my long legged 6’2 frame. I’d say the volvo r-design seats, which I tried in a V60, are just as supportive while offering more cushioning, but the rest of the Volvo’s cabin isn’t nearly as driver-focused. 

The car I tested was pretty much loaded, but I’d be very happy with a stripper CPO 228i, with heated sport seats, sport suspension, and sunroof. Not sure if I’d want the 8AT or a stick; the auto was impressive, but as an only-car I might miss having a stick, especially considering how they are vanishing from the marketplace.

All in all, even in lowly 4-cylinder guise, this 2-series was an awesome piece. It's highly desirable and no doubt worth the premium over things like the GTI and Mustang, provided you like what it offers, and it's certainly a strong rebuttal to the oft-heard refrain that BMW has lost its mojo.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 09:57:02 pm by lebowski »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: 2-series
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 06:49:28 am »
2 series a new e46

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 09:07:52 am »
How much would a stripper 230 manual RWD go for? Can you even get that here?
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 11:57:26 am »
2 series a new e46

Yup

It is indeed available, and base is a just under $40k.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 02:15:29 pm »
2 series a new e46

Yup

That would be a cool little car to lease. You’d likely have to custom order it but it would certainly be unique.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 06:35:44 pm »
2 series a new e46

Yup

That would be a cool little car to lease. You’d likely have to custom order it but it would certainly be unique.

I've certainly been thinking about it, and yeah, definitely wouldn't be a common config. on their lots

Hannibal. I think you should get a M2 for your next car....

+1!!

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 07:29:16 pm »
^^ love my bmw and the M2 is awesome, but too similar to what I have. I’ve been on this truck thing lately. Don’t need one and not very practical for how I drive, but I want one. Power wagon. Raptor or just an old beater I can tinker with lol

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 08:14:25 pm »
^^ love my bmw and the M2 is awesome, but too similar to what I have. I’ve been on this truck thing lately. Don’t need one and not very practical for how I drive, but I want one. Power wagon. Raptor or just an old beater I can tinker with lol

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know right. Just to be clear though, this would be an addiction to the stable... :)

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 09:49:05 am »
The 2er is the only BMW I'd consider thesedays, as it's the only one with caractéristiques that I'd consider to be important in a "good driving car".
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-451
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 10:26:59 am »
When the 2 series first came out I as shopping for a new car and drove a manual 228i RWD that was at my closest dealer.  I was super impressed and I want to say the price tag was a bit lower than what it goes for now.  It was top two in what I drove, second to the GTI.  With the dealer being two hours away, that fact I would have to drive it in winter, and the stigma with driving a BMW pushed me to my choice of a Golf R.

I still think it was a mighty impressive vehicle and if I had a winter beater I'd have it pretty high on my list of fun summer toys.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 01:34:10 pm »
When the 2 series first came out I as shopping for a new car and drove a manual 228i RWD that was at my closest dealer.  I was super impressed and I want to say the price tag was a bit lower than what it goes for now.  It was top two in what I drove, second to the GTI.  With the dealer being two hours away, that fact I would have to drive it in winter, and the stigma with driving a BMW pushed me to my choice of a Golf R.

I still think it was a mighty impressive vehicle and if I had a winter beater I'd have it pretty high on my list of fun summer toys.

That's indeed surprising that you preferred the GTI to the 228i. Certainly, after testing the bimmer, one of my first thoughts was "I guess i'd better go test drive a GTI now and make sure I don't like that one even more, and save some $$ in the process".  Was the GTI really more enjoyable to drive, or was it more about the aforementioned practicality that swayed you?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 02:23:34 pm by lebowski »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +251/-765
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 02:03:15 pm »
The 8AT was remarkably responsive and the car had plenty of scoot off the line, right up until about 4,500 rpm. It even sounded pretty good – at low revs, a lot like a big N/A inline 6. Maybe that’s crazy, maybe I just haven’t listened to a lot of inline-6’s lately. But there you go, leave it to BMW to make a 4-banger sound pretty darned good.

I’ve read descriptions of the motor as “diesel-like” in its power delivery and I would agree. At lower revs and especially around town, I really couldn’t see myself missing the bigger 6-cylinder turbo of the 240i, such was the power available, but as the revs increased and the power tapered off, I could envision coveting the bigger motor – even if by then I’d also be firmly in license-revocation territory. So, for the ~3400 lb. 2-series, this is a great drivetrain.

I have the same engine in my ~3500 pound Clubman, and it's definitely a very good motor. Minimal turbo lag, eager to rev, and an aggressive exhaust make it a lot of fun.

Having said that, in the 2-series, I'm not sure I could resist the allure of the six cylinder model.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-451
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 02:38:48 pm »

That's indeed surprising that you preferred the GTI to the 228i. Certainly, after testing the bimmer, one of my first thoughts was "I guess i'd better go test drive a GTI now and make sure I don't like that one even more, and save some $$ in the process".  Was the GTI really more enjoyable to drive, or was it more about the aforementioned practicality that swayed you?

I always wait my decision on the entirety of what a vehicle offers.  The BMW offers more driving pleasure and had a nicer exterior but everything else I found better in the GTI.  At the time the Golf R was just coming out in the USA as a 2015 model and the possibility of it coming to Canada made the decision easier.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 04:51:37 pm »

I have the same engine in my ~3500 pound Clubman, and it's definitely a very good motor. Minimal turbo lag, eager to rev, and an aggressive exhaust make it a lot of fun.

Having said that, in the 2-series, I'm not sure I could resist the allure of the six cylinder model.

I forgot the JCW has the same engine - it must be great in that car as well! Realistically, I think the only way to resist the allure of the six cylinder model will be to not test drive it, haha.

I always wait my decision on the entirety of what a vehicle offers.  The BMW offers more driving pleasure and had a nicer exterior but everything else I found better in the GTI.  At the time the Golf R was just coming out in the USA as a 2015 model and the possibility of it coming to Canada made the decision easier.

Right on, that makes a lot of sense, and for near-as-much the same money a Golf R seems a no-brainer. (except the sunroof thing, which I sincerely wish I didn't care about!)