Author Topic: 2024 Chevy Equinox EV  (Read 3780 times)

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +38/-239
    • View Profile
2024 Chevy Equinox EV
« on: August 22, 2023, 06:34:08 pm »
This is about the same price as the Bolt if you opt for the $30,000 US base model. What is that in Canadian? I think it's around $40,000. The Equinox will cover about 300 miles, give or take. It comes with Chevy Safety Assist and the optional Super Cruise. The Equinox EV is set to arrive in autumn, with various trims becoming available within the first year of production. The vehicle's electric powertrain provides a respectable 300-mile range on a single charge for select models. With a single forward motor, the Equinox EV's powertrain delivers 210 horsepower and 242 pound-feet of torque. An available dual-motor configuration takes the performance to another level, boasting a combined power output of 290 horsepower and 346 pound-feet of torque. The Equinox is also equipped with an 11.5-kW onboard charger, enabling convenient home charging and adding up to 34 miles of range per hour. Additionally, the Equinox EV is compatible with Level 2 stations and has the capacity to draw power at rates of up to 150 kW at fast-charging stations. The Equinox comes in two trims, the LT and RS, offering a range of customization options. It also includes Chevrolet's Super Cruise hands-free driving system. Priced at $30,000, the 2LT model, in particular, provides a well-balanced package that includes an extended driving range, enhanced comfort features, and the Super Cruise system. The Equinox EV is expected to be available starting with the 2RS trim, followed by a comprehensive range of trims within its first year of production. In any case, it's expected to arrive in October. :)

https://www.topspeed.com/chevy-equinox-ev-gamechanger/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2S-VXNZNTg&ab_channel=PRNDLbyJordanGolson   <--GM Super cruise. The video is about just about 5 minutes

How to make the journey even more boring. The 401 is bad enough in a govern tractor trailer. Myself personally I'd rather drive.  You only get  super cruise for 3 years, and then you have to pay a subscription fee.  :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIUERC4GeHw&ab_channel=ZeroToAwesome
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 06:41:25 pm by Ontariodriver »

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1160
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
Re: 2024 Chevy Equinox EV
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2023, 06:43:48 pm »
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 06:48:41 pm by Guy »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2023, 06:51:40 am »
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the only thing that will hold this vehicle back from being a major success is lack of inventory.  I think the demand for this vehicle will be very high, but I doubt GM will produce enough to meet said demand.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2023, 08:52:39 am »
So bland looking...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2023, 09:15:07 am »
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the only thing that will hold this vehicle back from being a major success is lack of inventory.  I think the demand for this vehicle will be very high, but I doubt GM will produce enough to meet said demand.

I wonder if the dealers will pull the same tricks as they have done with F-150 EVs. Even at this price, I can't see many people rushing to buy EVs at any price. The ford dealer here has 6 EV Mustangs sitting on the lot for months; these EVs are not selling well regardless of price.

So bland looking...

That's what sales. Bland, and grey, grey is the new beige.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2023, 09:25:51 am »
So bland looking...
It just looks like a GM compact CUV...would you rather they did the usual EV thing and let their stylist drop acid and make a monstrosity? 

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2023, 09:28:25 am »

I wonder if the dealers will pull the same tricks as they have done with F-150 EVs. Even at this price, I can't see many people rushing to buy EVs at any price. The ford dealer here has 6 EV Mustangs sitting on the lot for months; these EVs are not selling well regardless of price.

So bland looking...

The Mach-E is not even remotely priced in the same line as this Equinox, which is basically priced similar to the ICE equivalent.  Am I shocked that $70+ EV's sit on lots, not in the least, that's actually a rather competitive market with choice.  Sub $40K EV CUV's, that's an untapped market that has a lot of people shopping at the moment.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2023, 09:53:09 am »

So bland looking...

The Mach-E is not even remotely priced in the same line as this Equinox, which is basically priced similar to the ICE equivalent.  Am I shocked that $70+ EV's sit on lots, not in the least, that's actually a rather competitive market with choice.  Sub $40K EV CUV's, that's an untapped market that has a lot of people shopping at the moment.

Well, the average spending on a car is $60,000 in North America, so you would have thought this would have sold. Because before the Chevy Bolt at this price, it was the best deal among EVs for the longest time, and no one was rushing to buy these. Even with the government rebate, you can get a Bolt on the road for $20,000 in some states. Additionally, insurance is more expensive, and even charging can be more costly than traditional internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles. Highbury currently has 8 EVs for sale, including 8 Mustang Mach-Es, some heavily discounted, and 4 EV Transits. The 4 Mustangs I have seen have been there for months and months.

https://highburyford.com/new-inventory/make/ford/model/mustang-mach-e/

Just had a look at their inventory, why are you shocked that $72K+ EV's are sitting on their lot? 

During and after the pandemic, I noticed these flying off the shelves with dealer markups. There are also a lot of people in London with Teslas; it's become very common. These cars seem like a bargain compared to Model Ys and Model S. Look how many people can afford an $80,000 pickup's.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 10:26:15 am by Ontariodriver »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2023, 10:05:50 am »

So bland looking...

Well, the average spending on a car is $60,000 in North America, so you would have thought this would have sold. Because before the Chevy Bolt at this price, it was the best deal among EVs for the longest time, and no one was rushing to buy these. Even with the government rebate, you can get a Bolt on the road for $20,000 in some states. Additionally, insurance is more expensive, and even charging can be more costly than traditional internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles. Highbury currently has 8 EVs for sale, including 8 Mustang Mach-Es, some heavily discounted, and 4 EV Transits. The 4 Mustangs I have seen have been there for months and months.

https://highburyford.com/new-inventory/make/ford/model/mustang-mach-e/
The Bolt was never truly seen as a CUV, did not offer AWD, was more expensive than this Equinox, and the complete lack of inventory and long wait lists (not to mention a stop sale while they sorted some things out) were the main reasons why it never truly took off.  If they only made more, they would have sold more.  I believe there is a member on here whose son bought one but had to wait a very long time to get it.

Just had a look at their inventory, why are you shocked that $72K+ EV's are sitting on their lot?  The $60K average selling price is taxes and fee's inclusive, that's quite a gap between these EV's on their lot and the actual average transaction price.  Those EV Transits are also a head scratcher, so what trades person/business owner would choose a $80K+ basic van?  The smaller transit van starts at $36K and the bigger starts at just under $54K.  Maybe if you are an electrician whose big into installing wall chargers for EV's might be able to justify it to align with their business, but I can't see others that would jump at that.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2023, 10:23:17 am »
Just had a look at their inventory, why are you shocked that $72K+ EV's are sitting on their lot?

During and after the pandemic I thought these why flying of the shelves, with dealer mark ups and there are a lot of people in London with Telsa, It's very common. These seem like a bargain compared to Y's And Model S.
Tesla has a certain perceived luxury "I made it in life" reputation in the market place.  There was great demand at the very beginning because of initial hype and the lack of inventory.  The people who wanted these vehicles have either bought them or moved on, now it's a trickle as far as selling $72K+ Ford EV's.  Are there people out there still looking for them and buying, yes, but that pool of buyers are shrinking, not expanding.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2023, 10:42:29 am »

Agree. If they don't screw up the battery again this should be a huge success

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2023, 10:56:52 am »

During and after the pandemic I thought these why flying of the shelves, with dealer mark ups and there are a lot of people in London with Telsa, It's very common. These seem like a bargain compared to Y's And Model S.
Tesla has a certain perceived luxury "I made it in life" reputation in the market place.  There was great demand at the very beginning because of initial hype and the lack of inventory.  The people who wanted these vehicles have either bought them or moved on, now it's a trickle as far as selling $72K+ Ford EV's.  Are there people out there still looking for them and buying, yes, but that pool of buyers are shrinking, not expanding.

Like BWM's. The world is simply not ready for EV's. Tesla charges are the most reliable charges. There are all kinds of connection issues with EVs using the charging stations, which would make me uncomfortable owning one  I think one of the primary concerns for many potential electric car buyers is range anxiety. While the charging infrastructure for electric vehicles (EVs) has been expanding, it's still not as widespread and convenient as refueling at gas stations. Limited charging stations, compatibility issues, and varying charging speeds can make road trips a nightmare. Although charging technology has improved, it still takes considerably longer to charge an electric car compared to filling up a gas tank. Fast-charging stations can help mitigate this issue, but complete charging can still take a while, especially if you're using a standard household outlet. Battery degradation is another concern. Over time, the capacity of electric vehicle batteries can degrade, leading to reduced range and performance. Despite electric cars having fewer moving parts, repairs can be specialized and potentially more expensive due to the complexity of the technology involved.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2023, 11:27:08 am »

Like BWM's. The world is simply not ready for EV's. Tesla charges are the most reliable charges. There are all kinds of connection issues with EVs using the charging stations, which would make me uncomfortable owning one  I think one of the primary concerns for many potential electric car buyers is range anxiety. While the charging infrastructure for electric vehicles (EVs) has been expanding, it's still not as widespread and convenient as refueling at gas stations. Limited charging stations, compatibility issues, and varying charging speeds can make road trips a nightmare. Although charging technology has improved, it still takes considerably longer to charge an electric car compared to filling up a gas tank. Fast-charging stations can help mitigate this issue, but complete charging can still take a while, especially if you're using a standard household outlet. Battery degradation is another concern. Over time, the capacity of electric vehicle batteries can degrade, leading to reduced range and performance. Despite electric cars having fewer moving parts, repairs can be specialized and potentially more expensive due to the complexity of the technology involved.
What you say is definitely true, but I feel like a lot of buyers aren't buying EV's as their main "road trip" vehicle, it's more their second vehicle that they do regular day to day trips and charge at home almost 100% of the time.  So while charging infrastructure is important, there are a decent number of people who aren't put off because they don't use anything but their own charger at home.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2023, 01:29:23 pm »

What you say is definitely true, but I feel like a lot of buyers aren't buying EV's as their main "road trip" vehicle, it's more their second vehicle that they do regular day to day trips and charge at home almost 100% of the time.  So while charging infrastructure is important, there are a decent number of people who aren't put off because they don't use anything but their own charger at home.

Hopefully, as you mentioned, this could be the necessary change. Priced at just $37,000, it's remarkably affordable, making it quite enticing. A 300-mile range would be sufficient for my needs, especially if I can charge it at home. These changes might be just what's needed to stimulate progress, provided you steer clear of that crappy "Super Cruise" subscription-based service. The Ultium platform could truly be the game-changer as GM has indicated, and the supply shouldn't be an issue. GM is placing its future hopes on this platform for ramping up production. lets watch and see.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2023, 04:36:35 pm »
Had the Bolt been readily available last year, I would have bought one instead of the Crosstrek. It's the only EV that met my budget target and would have been fantastic as a 2nd car.

Saw the Equinox EV in january at the Auto show, looks fairly striking and modern in person.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2023, 04:58:35 pm »
Had the Bolt been readily available last year, I would have bought one instead of the Crosstrek. It's the only EV that met my budget target and would have been fantastic as a 2nd car.

Saw the Equinox EV in january at the Auto show, looks fairly striking and modern in person.

Would you have, or would the wife have veto'd it for one reason or another?

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2023, 05:08:59 pm »

Would you have, or would the wife have veto'd it for one reason or another?

She would have been 100% behind this. Other EVs just did not make sense because of price.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2023, 06:35:40 pm »

The Chevy Bolt has stood out as one of the best deals in the EV market for years, Better than the Leaf IMO, and showing minimal degradation on the batteries up to 100,000 miles proving of course you took care of it. It seems that most people didn't encounter many issues, and it maintained remarkable reliability overall—until the battery recall. Now, it's not possible to charge it beyond 90% due to the risk of fire. The end was inevitable once the Bolt couldn't be produced on GM's Ultrium Platform. Additionally, if you were to visit the showroom and make a "like for like" comparison, I believe most people would choose the Equinox.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2023, 09:50:22 am »

That...'s bland?  Really?  Compared to what?  :think:  I think it looks great, hope it looks as good in real.  I'd pick this over a Mustang EV any day.

If this is the 2024 ICE Equinox...

:hurl:

Ron you've been driving that Prius too long!!  :stick: ;D

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2023, 09:41:33 pm »
https://insideevs.com/news/702576/2024-chevrolet-equinox-ev-overview/

Specs in the link above. I think if I ever start leasing cars, this would be on my short list.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 09:43:22 pm by EV Dan »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.