Author Topic: Home chargers - what do you have and comments  (Read 7742 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
Re: Home chargers - what do you have and comments
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2024, 10:58:57 pm »
Genuinely asking, how much of a factor is it for a house buyer? Isn't it at most like 5k to do an install (worst case scenario like my house where you'd need to run stupidly low gauge wire across ~ 60 ft)?
It certainly isn't here.

Asked about it during a recent home appraisal and their response was....laughter.

Adding a 240 plug to the garage isn't a big value added thing here.

And I was worst case scenario. Basement finished. Fuse panel in finished basement. So wire to front porch had to be mounted outside the house in conduit . Half the length of the side wall, full length of front wall. $2500
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 11:03:14 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2024, 01:25:57 pm »
I'm not all that well versed on these, but has anyone crunched the numbers of getting a faster (close to Level 3) charger? I'm thinking of getting one at the store - the DoubleClutch.ca office is on premises as well and with multiple pressers around there's occasionally a lineup for the Level 2.

Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2024, 02:05:16 pm »
I'm not all that well versed on these, but has anyone crunched the numbers of getting a faster (close to Level 3) charger? I'm thinking of getting one at the store - the DoubleClutch.ca office is on premises as well and with multiple pressers around there's occasionally a lineup for the Level 2.

DC Level 2 (aka “fast”) requires a commercial grade power supply and is not available in residential grids. Depending on where your offices are, you may have that capacity and may even have access to subsidies. It’s rare though that these things are private, if subsidized. And a full installation can reach six figures quickly.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1160
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2024, 02:20:36 pm »
You made a typo blueprint, it’s DC Level 3 you meant I think.

This being said, the most potent Level 2 available are 80 amps, 19.2kW, but very few EV can take that much power on Level 2. But if you plug in a car that can take let’s say 10 kW max, the charging station will throttle down to that level.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 02:24:43 pm by Guy »

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2024, 02:30:29 pm »

This being said, the most potent Level 2 available are 80 amps, 19.2kW, but very few EV can take that much power on Level 2. But if you plug in a car that can take let’s say 10 kW max, the charging station will throttle down to that level.

Unless SAE changed its standards, fast charging is DC Level 2, not to be confused with AC Level 2. Fast charging is often referred to as “Level 3”, but it’s an unofficial popular term.  SAE actually has an AC Level 3, but it’s not the same thing. Yes I’m a geeky engineer 👷‍♂️

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2024, 02:40:24 pm »
You can just say engineer.  Everyone knows they are geeky.  ;)
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2024, 03:55:56 pm »
Genuinely asking, how much of a factor is it for a house buyer? Isn't it at most like 5k to do an install (worst case scenario like my house where you'd need to run stupidly low gauge wire across ~ 60 ft)?
It certainly isn't here.

Asked about it during a recent home appraisal and their response was....laughter.

Adding a 240 plug to the garage isn't a big value added thing here.

And I was worst case scenario. Basement finished. Fuse panel in finished basement. So wire to front porch had to be mounted outside the house in conduit . Half the length of the side wall, full length of front wall. $2500

Think the issue is more if your panel (or service) needs to be upgraded or not. I know our panel is full, so that might get pricey unless there is some power sharing thing that can be done

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1160
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2024, 04:19:18 pm »

Unless SAE changed its standards, fast charging is DC Level 2, not to be confused with AC Level 2. Fast charging is often referred to as “Level 3”, but it’s an unofficial popular term.  SAE actually has an AC Level 3, but it’s not the same thing. Yes I’m a geeky engineer 👷‍♂️

I'm an engineer too, maybe not as geeky!  ;D

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2024, 09:42:28 am »

I'm an engineer too, maybe not as geeky!  ;D

:cheers:

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2024, 10:12:26 am »
The best engineers in my experience are the ones you can't tell are engineers. They also tend to avoid dorky rings.  ;D 

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2024, 05:32:15 pm »
So far, so good. The new EVSE works very well, but I have to admit that even inside the heated garage, that cord is STIFF. I would not recommend the Wallbox for outdoor use because of this, unless they updated their cord materials.