Author Topic: 2024 Chevrolet Silverado EV WT, First Drive  (Read 19653 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: Chevrolet Silverado Electric
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2022, 08:30:36 am »

It looks like the bulkhead is fixed and the actual opening area is fairly small, and not nearly as useful as the old Avalanche's midgate:

Side note: My computer auto-corrected midgate to midget. :rofl2:

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2022, 08:37:16 am »
I wonder if that mid-gate is standard across all models...
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2022, 08:45:34 am »

It looks like the bulkhead is fixed and the actual opening area is fairly small, and not nearly as useful as the old Avalanche's midgate:

Side note: My computer auto-corrected midgate to midget. :rofl2:

Weren't there leaking issues with the old midgate in the Avalanche, or am I remembering wrong?  Maybe that's why the new one is only half the size opening.  I would think it's still very useful for hauling lumber and what not.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2022, 09:36:56 am »

I realize this is a render, and not necessarily indicative of the final product, but those molded tire 'treads' in the floor of the bed are a terrible idea.

As a former truck owner, I can tell you how much of a PITA it would be to sweep out your bed after carrying a load of mulch, soil, sand, or anything else messy with those molded treads in there.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2022, 09:45:19 am »

I realize this is a render, and not necessarily indicative of the final product, but those molded tire 'treads' in the floor of the bed are a terrible idea.

As a former truck owner, I can tell you how much of a PITA it would be to sweep out your bed after carrying a load of mulch, soil, sand, or anything else messy with those molded treads in there.
As truck owner since 1987 That is a minor detail  ;D

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2022, 10:21:43 am »

I think the old avalanche had them too.

Guys, that is a picture of the old Avalanche.  :P

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2022, 10:53:22 am »

are you writing about the bar across the opening?
That could be a safety feature so with a quick stop the cargo does not going sliding into the cab

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2022, 10:55:34 am »

That could be a safety feature so with a quick stop the cargo does not going sliding into the cab

Right. I'm just saying it limits its usefulness and it isn't really comparable to the capabilities of the old Avalanche. Great for hauling stuff like lumber, not so much for something like a motorcycle or snowmobile.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2022, 11:03:12 am »

Right. I'm just saying it limits its usefulness and it isn't really comparable to the capabilities of the old Avalanche. Great for hauling stuff like lumber, not so much for something like a motorcycle or snowmobile.

if you check out this link there is not bar
https://www.thedrive.com/news/43756/electric-chevy-silverado-pickup-brings-back-gms-super-useful-midgate

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2022, 11:40:42 am »

You don't need to drop the midgate on an Avalanche to haul motorcycles  ???

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2022, 11:51:32 am »
Would have been nice if the Maverick would have gotten a system like that, would help to make up for the box size

It shouldn't be that lumber can be hauled easier in a small hatchback like a Vibe/Matrix than a pickup

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2022, 11:55:12 am »

But does the tailgate need to be down?

Regardless, presumably there is a use case for hauling larger/bulkier objects that is handled by the old Avalanche but not by the Silverado EV.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2022, 11:59:16 am »

Tarp is key when hauling stuff like that.  I used to load brush and mulch into the back of my old Focus wagon using a tarp and no worries about cleaning afterward even thought the back was carpeted.  Easier too as you just pull the tarp out once it gets light enough and no cleanup required. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2022, 12:01:23 pm »

Regardless, presumably there is a use case for hauling larger/bulkier objects that is handled by the old Avalanche but not by the Silverado EV.
Why do you say that ?
The middle bar comes out

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2022, 12:02:36 pm »

Tarp is key when hauling stuff like that.  I used to load brush and mulch into the back of my old Focus wagon using a tarp and no worries about cleaning afterward even thought the back was carpeted.  Easier too as you just pull the tarp out once it gets light enough and no cleanup required.
I use this in the SUV to keep clean
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/home/automotive/cargo-liners/59351-cargo-liner

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2022, 12:09:57 pm »

I use this in the SUV to keep clean
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/home/automotive/cargo-liners/59351-cargo-liner

Cool, didn't know they existed.  8) Still, they do tear and I paid about $5 for the last tarp i bought. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2022, 12:15:52 pm »

Why do you say that ?
The middle bar comes out

Does it? I haven't seen any pics with it out so I assumed it was fixed in place.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2022, 12:28:56 pm »

Why do you say that ?
The middle bar comes out

Does it? I haven't seen any pics with it out so I assumed it was fixed in place.
Look at the link , the first picture  :rofl2:
https://www.thedrive.com/news/43756/electric-chevy-silverado-pickup-brings-back-gms-super-useful-midgate

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2022, 12:32:33 pm »

Why do you say that ?
The middle bar comes out

Look at the link , the first picture  :rofl2:

Nifty - thanks!

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2022, 04:32:24 pm »
Found pics of the base truck - and I like it better!

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist