Author Topic: 2022 F-150 Lightning  (Read 67849 times)

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: 2022 F-150 Lighting
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2021, 11:38:48 am »
Yep, and lets not forget these things will have a 450km+ range, to start. That is plenty for I imagine 80%+ of the owners out there who are not towing every weekend uphill both ways into a headwind with a loaded bed for the 8 decks they are renovating  :rofl2:
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2021, 11:49:11 am »
I owned the previous generation Lightning and it was a riot.  But it was a sport truck intended for higher performance street driving.  I think Ford missed a cool opportunity here and frankly, this is a complete miss.  The Lightning name deserves better.

Actually, for once, they did this one right. I mean, for an electric car, lighting is a pretty good name. Now Mustang was completely wrong, should have dredged up a name like Granada or some crap. As for the truck, if they do a proper performance one, Thunder will work pretty well.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2021, 11:50:44 am »
Yep, and lets not forget these things will have a 450km+ range, to start. That is plenty for I imagine 80%+ of the owners out there who are not towing every weekend uphill both ways into a headwind with a loaded bed for the 8 decks they are renovating  :rofl2:

You guys are kidding a little, but really you don't get it at all. 

Obviously the Lightning will be perfect for the daily driving stuff, which comprises 85-90% of what most of us do with our trucks.  But that 85-90% of use isn't why we buy our trucks.  We buy our trucks for the other 15% of the time, when we're pulling our 20' trailers for 300-500kms to a campsite for a week, with a bed loaded up full of bikes and coolers, and a canoe on a rack above the truck.  That's a task that no vehicle other than a truck (or at a stretch, a truck-based SUV) can do. 

Now OBVIOUSLY there is an entire segment of the truck-buying segment (people like AB) who buy trucks for work and the daily grind.  AB keeps all his tools in his truck and drives it to/from jobsites every single day.  The F150 Lightning would be PERFECT for him, and likely 90% of all other contractors out there.  I'm not disputing that at all. 

What I AM saying, is that for those of us who buy trucks for recreational purposes, even though we may only use our trucks recreationally 10-15% of the time, for that 10-15% of the time, an electric truck with limited range won't work for us. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2021, 11:53:44 am »

Obviously the Lightning will be perfect for the daily driving stuff, which comprises 85-90% of what most of us do with our trucks.  But that 85-90% of use isn't why we buy our trucks.  We buy our trucks for the other 15% of the time, when we're pulling our 20' trailers for 300-500kms to a campsite for a week, with a bed loaded up full of bikes and coolers, and a canoe on a rack above the truck.  That's a task that no vehicle other than a truck (or at a stretch, a truck-based SUV) can do. 

Now OBVIOUSLY there is an entire segment of the truck-buying segment (people like AB) who buy trucks for work and the daily grind.  AB keeps all his tools in his truck and drives it to/from jobsites every single day.  The F150 Lightning would be PERFECT for him, and likely 90% of all other contractors out there.  I'm not disputing that at all. 

What I AM saying, is that for those of us who buy trucks for recreational purposes, even though we may only use our trucks recreationally 10-15% of the time, for that 10-15% of the time, an electric truck with limited range won't work for us.

Don't bother, apparently everyone in Ontario that buys a truck should have bought a Smart Car and a roof rack because they don't haul/tow anything that would ever involve the full capabilities of a 1/2 ton.....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2021, 11:55:01 am »

Don't bother, apparently everyone in Ontario that buys a truck should have bought a Smart Car and a roof rack because they don't haul/tow anything that would ever involve the full capabilities of a 1/2 ton.....

Ya, just because you don't see half-tons towing ALL The time, doesn't mean they don't tow SOME of the time.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2021, 11:55:10 am »
I owned the previous generation Lightning and it was a riot.  But it was a sport truck intended for higher performance street driving.  I think Ford missed a cool opportunity here and frankly, this is a complete miss.  The Lightning name deserves better.
I think you are completely wrong on that, I think the name is perfect, and with 560hp and EV torque, this thing could probably run circles around the old truck.

Sales will tell, but again I think you will find this thing will be a big success.

And these trucks will be excellent for the 85% of truck drivers that just load the bed after a trip to HD or to move a couch or freezer, don't tow almost never, and the rest of the time it is the family vehicle.

Again...if you tow some distance, this will obviously not be the truck for you if that is your priority. Then get another truck. End. But for the huge market that this does meet the needs of, it will be great.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2021, 12:04:48 pm »

Think you are right generally, but it depends how far you drive to camp (and if you drive in winter  :D) and if you can charge when you get there

And of course all of this is for now

Horses were likely far better than cars for the average person back in 1910 or whatever. They were, but they were also at the top of their tech curve, and cars were just starting theirs

Can see fleets/well heeled early adopters work out the bugs with the tech the next few years as the price goes down and batteries get better (cheaper, more powerful, less likely to burn your garage down, etc)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2021, 12:05:54 pm »

Why do you think that everyone who uses their truck recreationally uses it in the same way?

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2021, 12:28:12 pm »
Hoping there's a difference in content - that heat pump for one. On the Niro, you have to pay an extra 9k$ to get it thanks to a mandatory trim upgrade.

Edit - commercial version bases at 39,974 USD, XLT at 52,974 USD, max is 90,474 USD. Comparing the 68 CAD for the XLT, one gets an exchange rate of 1.28, not far off current numbers. It's even better at the top end where that rate computes to 1.215. Commercial - if 48 CAD - computes to 1.20.

The Canadian pricing is probably approximate given the spring 2022 on-sale date. Still, we're not being taken for a ride in the frunk.

I expect the heat pump will be standard in the XLT - the price diff between the base and XLT is a solid $8k - and it will likely just have a few options, like 20in / Sport package / Panoramic sunroof....Blue cruise will not be available in the XLT. I am likely to go with the XLT vs Lariat package this time to help control costs.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2021, 12:30:15 pm »
I expect the heat pump will be standard in the XLT - the price diff between the base and XLT is a solid $8k - and it will likely just have a few options, like 20in / Sport package / Panoramic sunroof....Blue cruise will not be available in the XLT. I am likely to go with the XLT vs Lariat package this time to help control costs.

At least the XLT of this gen can be optioned with auto climate control. I expect the electric XLT to have auto climate control standard. Hopefully the front bench seat is still standard.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2021, 12:33:28 pm »

Why do you think that everyone who uses their truck recreationally uses it in the same way?

I think a very small part of the population actually uses their truck this way...I'd say less than 20%? I've towed once with my F150 - and it was only 1800lbs total. But I am always hauling stuff back and forth from the cottages - so yeah, the kind of range a F150 will offer is perfect. On my street alone, all my neighbours with trucks - tonsss of them - could live with this F150 without issues.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 12:35:23 pm by Tauri13 »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2021, 01:05:19 pm »

I think a very small part of the population actually uses their truck this way...I'd say less than 20%? I've towed once with my F150 - and it was only 1800lbs total. But I am always hauling stuff back and forth from the cottages - so yeah, the kind of range a F150 will offer is perfect. On my street alone, all my neighbours with trucks - tonsss of them - could live with this F150 without issues.

I think that part of the disconnect in how we see things is where we live. Out here the distances are much greater and the infrastructure in places is near 0. If I run out to the field it is a whole lot of nothing for about 400km each way. If I drive to Saskatoon to visit inlaws then it is 650km with a couple dodgy  little gas stations in between. If I see other relatives it is closer to 800km each way. In the winter Lake Louise is about 180k kms each way so would need 360k km minimum range at -20 with a good 7 hour cold soak during the day. Would make me nervous because I do like my heated seats  ;D  A "family" vehicle has to be able to handle these simple scenarios and that doesn't begin to involve the odd bit of towing.   I can see owning a gasser truck and a e city runabout but not the other way around.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2021, 01:20:58 pm »

I think that part of the disconnect in how we see things is where we live. Out here the distances are much greater and the infrastructure in places is near 0. If I run out to the field it is a whole lot of nothing for about 400km each way. If I drive to Saskatoon to visit inlaws then it is 650km with a couple dodgy  little gas stations in between. If I see other relatives it is closer to 800km each way. In the winter Lake Louise is about 180k kms each way so would need 360k km minimum range at -20 with a good 7 hour cold soak during the day. Would make me nervous because I do like my heated seats  ;D  A "family" vehicle has to be able to handle these simple scenarios and that doesn't begin to involve the odd bit of towing.   I can see owning a gasser truck and a e city runabout but not the other way around.
The other thing is, with the charging taking 10-19 hours....you've pretty much got to be a home owner to own one of these.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2021, 01:26:52 pm »
My father in law has a 2018 F-150 with the 5.0L in Newfoundland.  This wouldn't interest him in the least, not because it isn't fast enough, or can't tow or carry what he needs, but simply because he can't take a road trip from where they are to NB to see us or to ON to visit their grand kids. 

So Ford has a hybrid and now a fully electric F-150.  Would it be wrong of me to think that a PHEV version would likely do very well also, maybe something that has 50-60km of electric range, but a total range of over 500kms with the gas engine? 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2021, 01:38:33 pm »
My father in law has a 2018 F-150 with the 5.0L in Newfoundland.  This wouldn't interest him in the least, not because it isn't fast enough, or can't tow or carry what he needs, but simply because he can't take a road trip from where they are to NB to see us or to ON to visit their grand kids. 

So Ford has a hybrid and now a fully electric F-150.  Would it be wrong of me to think that a PHEV version would likely do very well also, maybe something that has 50-60km of electric range, but a total range of over 500kms with the gas engine?
With a battery pack of that size, I'd imagine a PHEV would have a tremendous range.

The tiny one in my Prius is good for 50km in the summer

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2021, 01:41:22 pm »
I'm sure there is going to be a lot of drivetrain options as this electric tech gets sorted out

Must help to meet a manufacturers overall mileage goals a fair bit to get trucks on the electric bandwagon

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2021, 02:01:08 pm »

With a battery pack of that size, I'd imagine a PHEV would have a tremendous range.

I would assume any PHEV F-150 would have a much smaller battery pack, likely something bigger than the Hybrid but not nearly as big as the full electric version. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2021, 02:04:02 pm »

I would assume any PHEV F-150 would have a much smaller battery pack, likely something bigger than the Hybrid but not nearly as big as the full electric version.

Well of course.

But with all the space available...you could have a very nicely sized pack deliver, say, 125km or so.

I still think PHEV are the sweet spot over true EVs.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2021, 02:25:02 pm »

It's going to be equipped with a minimum 150 kW charger, we're obviously hoping for closer to 300 kW charger. With the 150 kW battery on a 1000 km trip starting from full, one is probably going to recharge twice for a total of 43 minutes. 43 minutes of rest time is not unreasonable for a 1000 km trip. If the charger is only 150 kW, it's going to be a tougher sell as the recharge time will be 86 minutes total.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2021, 02:25:24 pm »

Today — this is totally right. The Feds are going to dump a lot of tax payer money to build the infra, so in a future not so distant…this will definitely be a non-issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk