Author Topic: Ridgeline is a lemon, time to go truck shopping!!  (Read 3202 times)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: Ridgeline is a lemon, time to go truck shopping!!
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2024, 04:11:12 pm »
This?

Thats too old.....

So you want a big screen?

Android car play would be nice, but even a bluetooth connection would work. Don't need a huge touchscreen, but something newer than a tape player would be nice.

That's the way if you want a 'lifetime' truck. Find an 05/06 Fully loaded Sierra Denali, or similar (no Denali if you want push button 4x4) spend some money and get the nicest southern truck you can find, and then dump $1500 or whatever into it to add your sissy stuff like a big screen, AA, etc. Peak GM V8. Fuel economy is comparable (or maybe even slightly better?) than the previous gen Tundra, and quite honestly the interior & tech in that generation Tundra was barely an ungrade from the mid-2000's anyway.

Little surprised to hear that the Ridgeline is a fail, but at the same time, everything is trash these days.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2024, 04:14:39 pm »
This?

Thats too old.....

Android car play would be nice, but even a bluetooth connection would work. Don't need a huge touchscreen, but something newer than a tape player would be nice.

That's the way if you want a 'lifetime' truck. Find an 05/06 Fully loaded Sierra Denali, or similar (no Denali if you want push button 4x4) spend some money and get the nicest southern truck you can find, and then dump $1500 or whatever into it to add your sissy stuff like a big screen, AA, etc. Peak GM V8. Fuel economy is comparable (or maybe even slightly better?) than the previous gen Tundra, and quite honestly the interior & tech in that generation Tundra was barely an ungrade from the mid-2000's anyway.

Little surprised to hear that the Ridgeline is a fail, but at the same time, everything is trash these days.

I know you're a big GM guy, but a Tundra is easily as good of a truck as that era of GM.  The Tundra 5.7 is also a gem of an engine. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2024, 04:16:48 pm »

In a perfect world, I am looking at a 2019 and up with less than 60K kms. I would like a 1794 version, but that butterscotch brown interior is questionable.

Oh I think that interior is nice!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2024, 04:24:41 pm »

In a perfect world, I am looking at a 2019 and up with less than 60K kms. I would like a 1794 version, but that butterscotch brown interior is questionable.

Its different than the all black interior, but, its taking me a hot minute to try to get used to it
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2024, 04:26:25 pm »
This?

Thats too old.....

I know you're a big GM guy, but a Tundra is easily as good of a truck as that era of GM.  The Tundra 5.7 is also a gem of an engine.

I don't disagree, you may recall years ago when I was running the truck program at CTC we had a 1794 that I spent a lot of time with, did a bunch of upgrades, etc. It was a nice truck, and the reliability is there. However, it felt a lot slower than the GMs and didn't ride as smooth. More importantly though, a 2018 Tundra, even down here, is about $35KUSD, for half of that you could have the nicest GMT800 available and have an extra $15K in your pocket to do something more productive with. Also consider that the Tundra is still a depreciator, a 15-20 year old GM has already bottomed out, you maintain it, and you'll always get your money back.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2024, 04:27:31 pm »

Its different than the all black interior, but, its taking me a hot minute to try to get used to it

For what it's worth, the 1794 isn't really a big upgrade over the Platinum - they're both 'Lexus grade' interiors, according to Toyota.  Platinum is black leather, 1794 is saddle leather.  Take your pick. 

My vote would be Platinum.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2024, 04:28:14 pm »
Dude, I'm a huge GM guy, I just don't want anything thats damn near 20 years old as a daily. If it was a project, sure. I'll find a GM 1500 SS at some point in the southern states  ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2024, 04:28:55 pm »

For what it's worth, the 1794 isn't really a big upgrade over the Platinum - they're both 'Lexus grade' interiors, according to Toyota.  Platinum is black leather, 1794 is saddle leather.  Take your pick. 

My vote would be Platinum.

Thats what I'm thinking, even a really high end TRD with all the bells and whistles I would ok with.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2024, 07:38:15 pm »
I think you just want a big truck lol. I approve.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2024, 07:46:24 pm »
Sucks about the RL, but good to see some new gear get shopped.  ;D 

I vote for full-size if you have the room.  Too big for my garage. 

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2024, 08:32:35 pm »
This?

Thats too old.....

I don't disagree, you may recall years ago when I was running the truck program at CTC we had a 1794 that I spent a lot of time with, did a bunch of upgrades, etc. It was a nice truck, and the reliability is there. However, it felt a lot slower than the GMs and didn't ride as smooth. More importantly though, a 2018 Tundra, even down here, is about $35KUSD, for half of that you could have the nicest GMT800 available and have an extra $15K in your pocket to do something more productive with. Also consider that the Tundra is still a depreciator, a 15-20 year old GM has already bottomed out, you maintain it, and you'll always get your money back.

You are not wrong on your thinking about an older truck.

I saw this one sell recently https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-chevrolet-silverado-1500-15/

Always liked these Quadrasteer models. 80k is nothing really on one of these and if you look after it and take care of it, still plenty of life left in it. Speaks volumes when the GMT800 platform trucks are pulling in good money. The newer stuff is just not made to last.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2024, 12:34:29 pm »
ok Fob you sold me on the Tundra. Lets go get that used V8 model!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2024, 01:22:18 pm »
While at a Toyota dealer looking at Tundras....I got talked into driving a new Tacoma. Gotta say, the interior improvements are very welcome. You no longer need to be a lollipop guild member to drive/sit in a Taco. Its actually given me second thoughts now as the Taco would fit into my garage and the Tundra would not. Anyways, news update about the Ridgeline, had a hissy fit this morning while driving on a high speed route, Henday, dash lit up, truck immediately went into limp mode, I barely got to the shoulder and the :censor: shut down on me. I got it restarted and it was running on I would say 3-4 cylinders. Called my dealer, they sent a tow truck, I am now at work waiting to hear what they found. I cannot wait to get rid of this POS.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2024, 01:27:23 pm »
While at a Toyota dealer looking at Tundras....I got talked into driving a new Tacoma. Gotta say, the interior improvements are very welcome. You no longer need to be a lollipop guild member to drive/sit in a Taco. Its actually given me second thoughts now as the Taco would fit into my garage and the Tundra would not. Anyways, news update about the Ridgeline, had a hissy fit this morning while driving on a high speed route, Henday, dash lit up, truck immediately went into limp mode, I barely got to the shoulder and the :censor: shut down on me. I got it restarted and it was running on I would say 3-4 cylinders. Called my dealer, they sent a tow truck, I am now at work waiting to hear what they found. I cannot wait to get rid of this POS.

That's just the cylinder deactivation  :stick:

Even though the Tacoma only has 1/2 the cylinders you desire it may be what you need.  Garageability is a priority for me. 

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2024, 01:29:53 pm »

That sucks. Wish things had worked out for you, because I think the Ridgeline is a great product.

Do they have much inventory available of Tacomas? Any markups?

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2024, 01:30:24 pm »

Even though the Tacoma only has 1/2 the cylinders you desire it may be what you need.  Garageability is a priority for me.

Agree, fitting in the garage would be a big priority.  If the Ridgeline does everything you need, then likely the Taco will, as long as you can live with the smaller back seat. 
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2024, 01:31:32 pm »

Obviously the turbo 4 is nowhere near as good, fun, exciting as the V8 in the Tundra, it would be nice to park in the garage during the winter. I used to park outside when I had my 1/2 ton and my 3/4 ton and thats for suckas. Cleaning snow, waiting for it to warm up and dealing with block heaters blows.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2024, 01:33:43 pm »

That sucks. Wish things had worked out for you, because I think the Ridgeline is a great product.

I would never talk bad about the RL, I know mine is an outsider and overall I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it, when it wasn't in the shop. I've seen tons of Tacos at dealers around, I don't think finding one will be an issue, finding one in blue might be, as the imaginative dealers have three colours available, black, white and orange

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2024, 01:35:41 pm »

Agree, fitting in the garage would be a big priority.  If the Ridgeline does everything you need, then likely the Taco will, as long as you can live with the smaller back seat.

I also found out that you can get a Taco with a 6ft bed, that would make it as usable as a full size truck for my needs.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2024, 01:35:53 pm »

I would never talk bad about the RL, I know mine is an outsider and overall I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it, when it wasn't in the shop. I've seen tons of Tacos at dealers around, I don't think finding one will be an issue, finding one in blue might be, as the imaginative dealers have three colours available, black, white and orange

You are going non-hybrid I assume if you go with the Tacoma?