Author Topic: Comparison Test: Compact Luxury Crossover SUVs  (Read 22918 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Comparison Test: Compact Luxury Crossover SUVs
« on: February 19, 2013, 06:31:37 am »

We determine which SUV provides the best combination of stylish luxury, performance and practicality in this 'nouveau wagon' segment.

Read More...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: Comparison Test: Compact Luxury Crossover SUVs
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 08:17:18 am »
Q5 would have been my choice too. But given the testing criteria that it won for, I will take a Volvo V70R or a 9-3 Aero XWD thanks, or any other sportwagon for that matter
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +251/-764
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 08:42:10 am »
Q5 would have been my choice too. But given the testing criteria that it won for, I will take a Volvo V70R or a 9-3 Aero XWD thanks, or any other sportwagon for that matter

Neither of which exist anymore...

Though I heard that North America is getting the V60 for 2014.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 09:44:34 am »

Neither of which exist anymore...

Especially for Saab. The company is gonzo.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 09:47:00 am »

We determine which SUV provides the best combination of stylish luxury, performance and practicality in this 'nouveau wagon' segment.

Read More...

Read the whole review from start to finish. Great job! My 1st place would have gone to the Merc (diesel) based on price and my inner love affair with the 3-point star but I am clearly biased.
Very thorough review explaining how and why the decisions were made. Fantastic.

The RDX is a disappointment. Good 3.5L with cylinder deactivation is the only thing going for it but it looks so bland I'd rather get the new fully loaded RAV4 and save $10k.

BMW is a disappointment too. Too bad the "ultimate driving machine" is losing its grip.

The Infinity buyer won't care, I think. EX37 is purchased for all the "other" reasons.

Glad to see the Merc drew a comparison to its older brother the G. Solid chassis with solid performance with restrained yet classy design in and out. Just as Merc is supposed to be.

Audi deserves the cake, I guess. Seems like a Jack of all trades and a master of most. I just can't warm up to its looks. I was very relieved the Escape Titanium or the Kia Sportage (the one reviewed by James) didn't take the first place. </sarcasm>

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 09:59:19 am »
The GLK will certainly be interesting once they start offering the 2.1L turbo diesel here.  190ish HP and 310 lb-ft of torque...

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2109
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 10:26:50 am »
Its truly a sad day when these raised station wagon demand a $50k premium  ::) For pretty well the same amount of room and a hell of a lot more fun, STi wagon anyone, for a lot more practicality, Honda Pilot, for an actual 4x4, Jeep Wrangler?? Still dont get why this category exists and people are willing to pay through the nose for it.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 11:06:22 am »
Its truly a sad day when these raised station wagon demand a $50k premium  ::) For pretty well the same amount of room and a hell of a lot more fun, STi wagon anyone, for a lot more practicality, Honda Pilot, for an actual 4x4, Jeep Wrangler?? Still dont get why this category exists and people are willing to pay through the nose for it.

+1. Remove the functionality of a bigger vehicle and the driving dynamics of a lower centre of gravity, you get these. I'm not sure I agree they are necessarily what people want, it's more that they're hammered over the head by them in the dealerships and on the airwaves. We get the same excuse from homebuilders as they put up yet another bland suburb with no meaningful distinctions - "it's what people want, see, it sells". I've mentioned it before, I went to a dealership looking for a new V70 to test drive, they had none available and weren't interested in getting me one - but they had a lot of XC70s here and now, and on sale!

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 11:08:26 am »

Oooooooo, love that car, so hope that's true.

Interesting set of opinions in this test, and certainly a lot of choice. I'd likely take the Benz GLK myself, but would wait for the BlueTEC.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 11:54:30 am »
I was at the Auto Show yesterday and saw the Q5.  I've driven it before and do find it excellent, but 2 major shortcomings that are common in this category:

1) if buying a 'bigger' vehicle and taking the fuel economy punishment (best observed of 11.9L/100km?!  eek!), shouldn't cargo capacity be more of a concern?!  I'm just not sure the EX37 belongs here - it competes more with the Audi A4 Allroad.  That's just a whole different ballgame.

2) price of options.  I looked at the Q5 - $40k for 2.0T, $46k for 3.0T (even though it's an S  ::)), and $56 for the Hybrid.  $10k to save some fuel...I'd rather get the 3.0T and spend $10k in gas - or to be more frugal, just get the 2.0T or wait for the diesel.  Beyond the Audi, the Acura is the only one in this test that didn't blow the bank on options (because there's only 1 package).  It saddened me when my mother asked me how much the new RX450h would be, and her only required option was navigation - and that was a $9,000 bundled option.  Sad when your option packages equal more than the cost of the car you'd buy for your kid to go off to university.

My $0.02 - I understand why this is the case, but feature comforts are expensive.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 12:23:24 pm »

Can't you say the same thing about ANY luxury cars these days though? Keep in mind that the equivalent luxury sedans are typically even more expensive than their SUV stablemates. It's easier to justify spending $65k on an ML than an E-class IMO.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 12:24:45 pm »
Good review and the outcome was expected  :) The Q5 is high on my list when the Venza is given to the boy to destroy in a few years.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2109
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 12:28:10 pm »

Can't you say the same thing about ANY luxury cars these days though? Keep in mind that the equivalent luxury sedans are typically even more expensive than their SUV stablemates. It's easier to justify spending $65k on an ML than an E-class IMO.

An E class is a superb 4 door sedan, with 4matic its a year round vehicle, hell if you get the wagon the car really becomes all things for all people, the ML is at best a mediocre SUV. If Im going to spend over $60K, SUVs wouldnt even be considered because you can get such awesome vehicles.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 01:57:54 pm »

An E class is a superb 4 door sedan, with 4matic its a year round vehicle, hell if you get the wagon the car really becomes all things for all people, the ML is at best a mediocre SUV. If Im going to spend over $60K, SUVs wouldnt even be considered because you can get such awesome vehicles.
AMEN. At that price, premium wagons get my vote too. And so what if they dont make the 9-3 Aero anymore or the V70R, you could always still buy used...but I realize that is not for everyone.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 02:08:58 pm »
AMEN. At that price, premium wagons get my vote too. And so what if they dont make the 9-3 Aero anymore or the V70R, you could always still buy used...but I realize that is not for everyone.

Last year for the V70R was '07, wasn't it? So it's not as if we're talking about lightly used off-lease examples. Apples and oranges, really.

Northernridge

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 02:09:20 pm »
Enjoyable review...way to get some style in there. While I generally agree with the CUV bashing comments here, I will say that there are at least 2 features that CUVs have going for them that sway some people 1) Higher riding position – my wife would be happy driving a CUV for this reason alone, 2) Easier ingress/egress – the older you get the more important this is and I could see myself switching for this reason – eventually.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 02:13:22 pm »
Enjoyable review...way to get some style in there. While I generally agree with the CUV bashing comments here, I will say that there are at least 2 features that CUVs have going for them that sway some people 1) Higher riding position – my wife would be happy driving a CUV for this reason alone, 2) Easier ingress/egress – the older you get the more important this is and I could see myself switching for this reason – eventually.
agreed on both counts, I think those are important reasons to consider a CUV. Just not for me...ever.

Northernridge

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 02:15:46 pm »
If my knees give out early I'm going straight for a Suburban. None of this short little Tahoe crap...a real SUV.  :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 02:28:20 pm by Northernridge »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Comparison Test: Compact Luxury Crossover SUVs
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 02:18:44 pm »
We originally bought the Forester for my wife and she seemed to like the slightly higher seating, but today she prefers her Corolla. She does feel VERY small in the Miata and the car feels unsafe compared to the other cars we have. It's one great thing about it!!

But, yeah, lots of folks find the ingress and egress better in vans and CUVs, so I see why they sell.

The Q5 is a very nice product, but an Avant Quattro would be my preference.

Offline SMMN

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 02:20:13 pm »
Too many Q5's being driven in our area so I wouldn't buy one to avoid seeing myself coming and going.