Author Topic: Average 'Life Expectancy' (KMs) of a 2013 VW Golf 2.5 L Sportline Wagon?  (Read 9929 times)

Offline drutgat

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Used to Have a Mazda GLC - Now It Is Time to Again Buy A Car!
I have been offered a 2013 VW Golf 2.5 L Sportline Wagon with 91,000 KMs for $8000, and cannot seem to find what the average life expectancy of this model is.

I spent several hours yesterday with my friend, who is selling the car, going over the car's history, appearance, problems (very few so far), and so on, and taking the car for a test drive.

My friend takes care of his possessions very well, and any issues that do exist will probably only be revealed by an inspection by a mechanic.

My friend is asking $8000, and I am trying to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of this model, primarily in terms of how long it will last.

In reading up on the traditional problems that this model has, it seems that the car has been free of all of them, barring the increasing creaks and groans which are typical as this model ages.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Being an out of warranty VW....life span of an ice cream cone left out in the sun  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
A lifespan of an FGC is directly proportional to the wallet size of its owner  8)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Isn't the Golf usually pretty reliable, though, because of it simplicity?  Unlike VAG's higher spec models, there isn't a ton of stuff to go wrong with it. 

And $8k for a car with less than 90 000kms is a pretty good price.  And the 2.5 likely has a lot of life left in it.  No direct injection to foul up the valves, no turbo to fail, just a basic, naturally-aspirated 5-cylinder (LOL)!  It doesn't even have a DSG, but rather a time-tested 6-speed automatic (if not equipped with the 5-speed manual).  Biggest downside to the engine is it wasn't that fuel efficient. 

That being said, 90 000kms is about the time that you'll have simple things start to fail, which is totally normal.  Ball Joints, tie-rod ends, struts, etc.  These are all normal wear items, even more so if driven on rough roads. 

Is your friend the first owner?  Does he have all the maintenance history?  Bonus points if both apply...

If the car is in good shape, has been well maintained, for $8k, I would go for it, if I wanted a nice little hatchback. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 01:03:01 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Being an out of warranty VW....life span of an ice cream cone left out in the sun  ;D

:rofl2:

Good one , I was going to write 2012

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
I think the mechanical bits on that car are pretty solid.  Little things may fail (sensors, window switches, light bulbs) over time but it shouldn't leave you stranded, nor be too crazy to repair.

I would make sure:

a) that it is a good price for the market.  The kms are low, but it's also a 7 year old car.  I don't know what they're going for.
b) you have a good indie mechanic in your area since VW dealers are expensive and often don't have a good reputation.

If a & b check out then it could be a good car for you.  Not many wagon options out there and the Golf's drive nice.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
My friend has a 2010 VW Golf Trendline, 2.5L, automatic. Its been very reliable and she got it new. VW covered rust repairs 2 years ago too.

I think $8k for it is a good price, pending mechanic inspection, especially since its from a friend who knows the history of it.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Yeah, that’s a solid car, all the more so since your friend has taken care of it. I don’t see why you couldn’t drive that for another decade and couple hundred thousand km.

I’ve got 165,000 km on my 2010 and it’s been bulletproof. Even with a dreaded and scary turbo! :rofl2:

Mind you, I don’t mind spending a bit on maintenance, but you should have way less to worry about with the 2.5.

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
Since you are in the mood for FGC adventure:

I will sell you a 2011 BMW 323i for $4000 with 200,0000 clicks on it. Used it to commute 150Km daily most of it higway at 120kph. Brand new front brakes. Engine and transmission is solid. All electronics work (heated seats, memory seats, fake leather, sunroof, awesome audio system, automatic wipers, rear vents). Interior is v clean.  Oil and brake fluid replaced in Feb. Diff fluid,  ACC belt, cabin filte changed in 2019. 2 year old Xice winter tires on rims. Sweet I6 that loves to be revved.

1 minor accident wich i got fixed by mechanic so you wont see it in the insurance report. Exterior has 401 wounds. Needs rear brakes, battery light is on (it has original battery) but the battery still works and there is a crack in the windshield (has been like that for 3 years)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 03:08:00 pm by CSH »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport

I will sell you a 2011 BMW 323i for $4000 with 200,0000 clicks on it. Used it to commute 150Km daily most of it higway at 120kph. Brand new front brakes. Engine and transmission is solid. All electronics work (heated seats, memory seats, fake leather, sunroof, awesome audio system, automatic wipers, rear vents). Interior is v clean.  Oil and brake fluid replaced in Feb. Diff fluid,  ACC belt, cabin filte changed in 2019. 2 year old Xice winter tires on rims. Sweet I6 that loves to be revved.

1 minor accident wich i got fixed by mechanic so you wont see it in the insurance report. Exterior has 401 wounds. Needs rear brakes, battery light is on (it has original battery) but the battery still works and there is a crack in the windshield (has been like that for 3 years)
You should the windshield replaced under insurance, it will make easier to get certified

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Is that a thing in Ontario?

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
Is that a thing in Ontario?
The BMW? Its in Guelph I think. And $4k isn't a bad deal. 

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
No. Insurance covering windshields..

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
Yes Ontario, Mississauga. This is the 3rd Windshield. The shop knows me. Replacement cost is less than 300 and works with auto sensing wipers.

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
1K will get you rear brakes, windshield and possibly batteries (havent driven it much since march so the battery light may go away) but its a FGC so who knows.

Its the last year model with no AAWD so its probably the most reliable BMW you can buy.

Offline drutgat

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile

You should the windshield replaced under insurance, it will make easier to get certified

CSH,
Well, you have given me something to think about.

Let me do some research, and I will get back to you in a few days.

Offline drutgat

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
Hi Everyone,
Many thanks for your replies.

Re. the Golf - to clarify, it is the wagon model, not just the regular Golf.

And I forgot to mention that it is the 5-speed manual/standard model, not automatic.

CSH's offer of his BMW for $4000 is tempting me, partly because I had decided to not buy my friend's car at $8000, but - for various reasons - to offer him considerably less for the Golf (around $4000); but I am sure he would not take that.

My other alternative is to go with what I was originally looking for last year (2019) which was a used 4Runner - probably can only afford a 2012 or even older.  The 4Runner was what I had originally set my heart on, but I was dithering because of the budget.

So many choices - quite confusing.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
Hi Everyone,
Many thanks for your replies.

Re. the Golf - to clarify, it is the wagon model, not just the regular Golf.

And I forgot to mention that it is the 5-speed manual/standard model, not automatic.

CSH's offer of his BMW for $4000 is tempting me, partly because I had decided to not buy my friend's car at $8000, but - for various reasons - to offer him considerably less for the Golf (around $4000); but I am sure he would not take that.

My other alternative is to go with what I was originally looking for last year (2019) which was a used 4Runner - probably can only afford a 2012 or even older.  The 4Runner was what I had originally set my heart on, but I was dithering because of the budget.

A 4Runner would last FOREVER.

Offline drutgat

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile

A 4Runner would last FOREVER.

Yes, and no.

4Runners also have their problems, but generally, I agree.

My main problem is my budget - the fewer $ one has, the more the KMs, and so on.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
I have been offered a 2013 VW Golf 2.5 L Sportline Wagon with 91,000 KMs for $8000, and cannot seem to find what the average life expectancy of this model is.

I spent several hours yesterday with my friend, who is selling the car, going over the car's history, appearance, problems (very few so far), and so on, and taking the car for a test drive.

My friend takes care of his possessions very well, and any issues that do exist will probably only be revealed by an inspection by a mechanic.

My friend is asking $8000, and I am trying to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of this model, primarily in terms of how long it will last.

In reading up on the traditional problems that this model has, it seems that the car has been free of all of them, barring the increasing creaks and groans which are typical as this model ages.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Just do a general search for old VW and you will see their lifespan seem short - it seems like 150-160k kms is when they disappear. I bet likely the transmission or something really expensive goes, making it worthless to fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk