Author Topic: Buying when car not paid off yet - mistake?  (Read 6875 times)

Offline stevek

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Buying when car not paid off yet - mistake?
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 05:53:49 pm »
Test drove the 2014 today and sat down with sales guy. I like it a lot, and the reason it is so low mileage (15000 kms) is an older couple returned a lease early so she could get one with a remote open liftgate (one uses a walker). So it's a fairly rare low km 2014.

Looking at putting the whole thing, lien payout and purchase, on line of credit at 3.2%, and paying it down fairly aggressively. taking overnight to think it over.

priced out the 2016's they have in stock, same model (EX) as the 2014, price is much higher of course, kind of puts the payments out of reach for me despite the clearance discounts. I know it's a 2 year newer car etc. but this 2014 is very low km, still a year newer than my Matrix, and I will keep it a long time.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 06:00:07 pm by stevek »
05 Pontiac Vibe, 02 Acura 1.7EL (both passed on to kids), 03 CRV, '12 Civic (wife's)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2017, 08:59:57 pm »
and the reason it is so low mileage (15000 kms

Well that's almost new. 

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2017, 01:49:38 pm »
Seems like a more sensible way to go.

Offline stevek

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2017, 02:04:56 am »
Paid off the matrix loan, going to use line of credit, picking up 2014 CRV tomorrow or Saturday

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2017, 10:57:26 am »
Nice.  Congrats.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2017, 03:42:16 pm »
Agreed.  The CR-V should be a nice upgrade from the Matrix.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline stevek

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2017, 12:45:41 pm »
Sent my daughter and son in law to same dealer and salesman for an Odyssey van. They have a 2 year old, baby on the way, and a dog so they want a minivan. Got a decent deal, and doesn't close for a month, in case Honda interest rate goes down in March. They are debating whether to get a vehicle protection package called final Coat, being offered by the dealer.

http://www.finalcoat.com/index.html

My experience has always been Krown rustproofing is great, and whenever i have asked about extra protection and extended warranties on this forum I get told no don't get anything extra. But just wondering about interior protection, for the seats, since they have 2 kids (soon), and the older one just had a car sick episode that still smells a bit in the old car. Any ideas on fabric protection for  new vehicle?

Hope i get some hits here, i didn't want to start a new thread. CRV is going great so far.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2017, 12:53:33 pm »
Krown yes

Other crap no. If you really want you can just buy some stuff from Crappy Tire. Or you know those $25 car seat protector things off Amazon.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2017, 12:54:16 pm »
Interior pritection is usually just 3m scotchgard type fabric spray.   It wears out so i dont thin it provides long term benefit.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2017, 01:04:05 pm »
Sent my daughter and son in law to same dealer and salesman for an Odyssey van. They have a 2 year old, baby on the way, and a dog so they want a minivan. Got a decent deal, and doesn't close for a month, in case Honda interest rate goes down in March. They are debating whether to get a vehicle protection package called final Coat, being offered by the dealer.

My experience has always been Krown rustproofing is great, and whenever i have asked about extra protection and extended warranties on this forum I get told no don't get anything extra. But just wondering about interior protection, for the seats, since they have 2 kids (soon), and the older one just had a car sick episode that still smells a bit in the old car. Any ideas on fabric protection for  new vehicle?

Hope i get some hits here, i didn't want to start a new thread. CRV is going great so far.

Tell your Daughter to NOT get any protection package, be it interior or exterior, from the Dealership. 

Btw, congrats on the CRV!   :thumbup:
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2017, 02:08:56 pm »
we used to use final coat... pretty basic stuff. nothing that is any better than ordering a couple cans of scotchguard off amazon (i couldn't find it at crappy tire last time i looked)... in fact, you applying it would likely be much better than the clean up kid spraying the other stuff... they don't tend to take the pride in the application.

do have to ask... why does the deal not "close" for a month? i don't know many dealers that won't try to get the deal written asap.

i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline stevek

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2017, 04:26:55 pm »

do have to ask... why does the deal not "close" for a month? i don't know many dealers that won't try to get the deal written asap.

I wasn't there, but the sales guy is pretty laid back, sold my wife her Civic in 2012 and me the CRV just now. Apparently told daughter and son in law interest rate is 1.9% now, they can wait till march 1 and see if it drops. Took a $500 deposit from them. They said he must feel  confident of the sale.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2017, 04:51:51 pm »

I wasn't there, but the sales guy is pretty laid back, sold my wife her Civic in 2012 and me the CRV just now. Apparently told daughter and son in law interest rate is 1.9% now, they can wait till march 1 and see if it drops. Took a $500 deposit from them. They said he must feel  confident of the sale.

What happens if it goes up?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2017, 05:55:14 pm »
The 60mth rate is 1.99% (2%). Honda/Acura never round off to a 0.  Customers never hear the last "digit".  :)   

It won't move on March 1st.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2017, 08:50:48 pm »
2% for five years?  Crazy cheap.  Snap it up.

Offline stevek

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2017, 10:08:05 pm »
I assume like a mortgage, they get the current rate or lower if it goes down, but not if it goes up. I think they were told it might go to 0.9%, which I believe my wife's 2012 Civic was purchased at.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2017, 10:40:29 pm »

Tell your Daughter to NOT get any protection package, be it interior or exterior, from the Dealership. 

I once worked at a dealership and "applied" the protection packages.  Exterior protection was a 3oz bottle of paint protection type wax.  Interior protection was a can of Scotchguard.  Cost thousands.
Mr Pickypants

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2017, 07:07:07 pm »

I once worked at a dealership and "applied" the protection packages.  Exterior protection was a 3oz bottle of paint protection type wax.  Interior protection was a can of Scotchguard.  Cost thousands.
when you buy those, you are buying the warranty, not the product...it's why i refuse that stuff and took my car to OilGard instead.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.