Author Topic: Compact SUV Decisons  (Read 6766 times)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Compact SUV Decisons
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2018, 10:18:38 am »
the reason VAG used wet clutches in the DSG and 'magic' ( and expensive) fluid was I bet specifically for the stop and go problem. IRC that fluid had to be thoroughly shaken before going into the transmission so it wasn't just oil.
I found the DSG smooth enough in stop and go...not as smooth as I could do with my manual BMW but smooth enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2018, 10:55:22 am »
Just curious, what in the VW lineup that is bigger than Golf uses a DSG?
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

ltruong

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2018, 12:05:03 pm »

I think the new jetta is showing up on lots.   Im not sure but besides base models they would all use DSG.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2018, 12:34:04 pm »

The regular FWD Golf 1.8T uses a conventional automatic. The Alltrack, Sportwagen 4Motion and GTI use the DSG.

Tiguan and Atlas are conventional automatics too. The Passat and CC come with the DSG, but they are reserved for the VR6 models.

The Jetta is also a conventional automatic with the DSG reserved for the GLI.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 12:35:53 pm by marcus_go »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2018, 12:46:40 pm »

I think the new jetta is showing up on lots.   Im not sure but besides base models they would all use DSG.

The new Q5 uses a 7 speed DSG rather than the ZF automatic... to my surprise as it is still a longitudinal engine.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2018, 06:23:33 pm »
The new Q5 uses a 7 speed DSG rather than the ZF automatic... to my surprise as it is still a longitudinal engine.

Same with the A4 and Allroad.

I also think the Q7 with the 2L turbo uses it.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2018, 07:00:51 pm »
Interesting choice by Audi....

BMW and MB are abandoning them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lawgman

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012PriusV; 2018Crosstrek Limited
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2018, 11:51:14 am »
I test drove the Kona w/ 1.6, the Crosstrek and the Qashqai.  The Kona w/1.6 was hands down the best drive both in the highway and on city streets. The transmission was fine (better than the Crosstrek CVT and much better than the Quashqi CVT). The Qashqai was the worst of the three.
Ended up with the Crosstrek in part because the Kona is much smaller than I thought it was going to be.  Crosstrek drive was good enough, but size was perfect. Also, the lead time for the colour that I would have wanted in the Kona was long and the dealers seemed inflexible on pricing (surprisingly had more success negotiating at the Subaru dealership).

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2018, 09:23:46 am »
I test drove the Kona w/ 1.6, the Crosstrek and the Qashqai.  The Kona w/1.6 was hands down the best drive both in the highway and on city streets. The transmission was fine (better than the Crosstrek CVT and much better than the Quashqi CVT). The Qashqai was the worst of the three.
Ended up with the Crosstrek in part because the Kona is much smaller than I thought it was going to be.  Crosstrek drive was good enough, but size was perfect. Also, the lead time for the colour that I would have wanted in the Kona was long and the dealers seemed inflexible on pricing (surprisingly had more success negotiating at the Subaru dealership).

So, what you're saying is you bought a Crosstrek?  If so, congratulations.  They're nice little cars.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2018, 09:35:25 am »
Thanks for the story!  Nice to read about car decisions in the 'exotic' CUV territory  :P

We always want the fun things, but reality sets in and we see price, the dealership experience, and how well the vehicle fits our needs begin to matter more than horsepower.

...which is why the Crosstrek won't get a more powahful engine :'(

Enjoy yours!  We highly recommend them here on the forum!

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2018, 09:47:35 am »
We always want the fun things, but reality sets in and we see price, the dealership experience, and how well the vehicle fits our needs begin to matter more than horsepower.

Speak for yourself.  :P

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2018, 09:59:49 am »
I wasn't speaking for me - I was speaking for the one who bought a Crosstrek.

I'm sitting here b!tching about Subaru canning the XT model of the Forester.  I say :censor: fuel economy (within reason :P) when it's compared to enjoyment of driving.

(remembering that I enjoy driving hybrids - so I'm not on an all-out offensive against fuel economy - I just prioritize fun).

Offline lawgman

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012PriusV; 2018Crosstrek Limited
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2018, 04:30:47 pm »

Thanks for the story!  Nice to read about car decisions in the 'exotic' CUV territory  :P

...which is why the Crosstrek won't get a more powahful engine :'(

Enjoy yours!  We highly recommend them here on the forum!

The amount of obsessing I did when buying the new car (which was for my wife btw) was crazy.  When I get the car bug, it becomes very very hard to break  :).

So, should we get a more powerful and lighter crossover or a more practical one from a size perspective (it was replacing a 2005 S40 Turbo)?  That became the question, even after test driving.  Once that was resolved, the next obsession was trying to get the best price possible and the colour that my wife wanted.  Should I get Eyesight or no Eyesight,  etc…

My Prius needed new all season tires and the issue became do I want to get an LRR tire that offers greater fuel economy or do I want something more economical.  Do I need to spend $850 on MXM4s or can I make do with $630 RT43s (I went practical and chose the RT43s).

I don’t know why this analytical debate only happens in my mind when I am dealing with cars... 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2018, 01:03:10 pm »
Welcome to the very reason for this forum's existence (oh, and trolling...lots of trolling).

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-433
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2018, 10:35:34 am »
A good piece of advice that was offered to me: "don't overthink it son"