Author Topic: New All Season Tires  (Read 25444 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: New All Season Tires
« Reply #121 on: April 18, 2018, 10:42:38 am »
https://www.seascanner.com/ships-position-mariner-of-the-seas

https://www.seascanner.com/cruise-k120965-asia-dubai-mariner-of-the-seas-singapore

**I stand corrected - it's Singapore to Dubai - not Rome.

They are running a cruise through pirate infested waters?  Do they have a couple 50 cals mounted? That would be a fun on board activity.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 18, 2018, 10:54:09 am »
https://www.seascanner.com/ships-position-mariner-of-the-seas

https://www.seascanner.com/cruise-k120965-asia-dubai-mariner-of-the-seas-singapore

**I stand corrected - it's Singapore to Dubai - not Rome.

They are running a cruise through pirate infested waters?  Do they have a couple 50 cals mounted? That would be a fun on board activity.

Look up YouTube videos....it’s fun to watch the pirates being shot at - most of these cruises now have security onboard to deal with pirates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #123 on: April 18, 2018, 11:39:34 am »
No big deal, they cruise at max speed about 22 knots, turn off GPS tracker, turn off most of lights on the ship
And have  mercenaries on ship as you going by Yemen.

Here the ship the mercenaries  went once we were 1/2 way in the Red Sea 

There was oil tanker in front of us that was chased one night

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 18, 2018, 11:43:26 am »
No big deal, they cruise at max speed about 22 knots, turn off GPS tracker, turn off most of lights on the ship

Wouldn't it be better to cruise slow, bait them and eliminate the problem? I guess fight or flee.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 18, 2018, 11:59:43 am »

Wouldn't it be better to cruise slow, bait them and eliminate the problem? I guess fight or flee.

I wouldnt think they would even chase a cruise ship now,
With  2,500 passengers , and if they did not open the buffet in time the Pirates would be overtaken in no time  :rofl2:

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 18, 2018, 01:08:35 pm »
They tried and failed miserably on the Seabourn Spirit back in 2005 (only 115 guests - luxury cruiseliner).  They fired an RPG at it, which fortunately failed to detonate:

The 3,100 passenger, 160,000 gross tonne Mariner of the Seas would be a bit difficult to board :P

...that, and you'd have to have a lot of pirates to counteract the 1,000 crew members (most of which would not likely give their lives, but still...).

Far too large a "job".

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #127 on: April 18, 2018, 01:21:44 pm »
You can bet there would be an ambulance chaser among the. Passengers who would help the poor old pirates to sue the ships owners and the mercenaries and anyone else around...just what lawyers do.
There were/are a couple of law firms in the U.K. who made a good living getting Iraqis to sue British soldiers who had shot at them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 18, 2018, 02:17:22 pm »
You can bet there would be an ambulance chaser among the. Passengers who would help the poor old pirates to sue the ships owners and the mercenaries and anyone else around...just what lawyers do.
There were/are a couple of law firms in the U.K. who made a good living getting Iraqis to sue British soldiers who had shot at them.

Is this why there is a steady influx of UK ers into Alberta? IS the UK beyond salvageable?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #129 on: April 18, 2018, 03:57:52 pm »
I would say nearly.   Either giving up on Brexit or completely doing it would help. Getting a whole new set of people in government and especially in the senior levels of the civil service would help.

The last 3 or 4 governments have been unable to resist doing stupid or at best ill  informed things.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #130 on: April 19, 2018, 05:59:40 pm »
My father had his winters changed over to the 3-season by KalTire and reported the pull-to-the-left as well (no vibration).  I'm interested to hear what they say - my dad's on a cruise from Singapore to RomeDubai, so he hasn't had his addressed as of yet (and I haven't driven it to experience the issue myself).
just as a follow up...

first off, let me start by saying the Tirecraft location here (Fanshawe Motors) has provided me with excellent service and have been great to deal with the entire time...when i called them a couple of days ago with my concerns, the concern was to ensure i was happy with my purchase and they showed genuine interest in resolving my issue to my satisfaction.

so, this morning, i dropped my car off, they called me a cab, and the cab took me to work...later on, they took the car for a short drive to verify the issue, which they confirmed...they re-balanced all tires and told me the two rear tires were off about 1/4 ounce, which would cause some slight vibrations mostly noticed at higher speeds (which is when i noticed it)...they also confirmed the slight pull to the left, so they switched the two front tires to determine if the issue followed the tires or not, then test drove the car again...the issue was still there, so the issue was not the tire, but the alignment (despite me paying $25 at the dealer to check it)...he mentioned some shops use a visual set up for alignment checking, which doesn't always work the best...their shop is the actual alignment machine where you hook all 4 wheels up...he printed off the results, which confirmed a misalignment in the front end...i gave him the go ahead to align the car ($100), which they did, then tested it again and confirmed everything was fixed...the cab picked me up from work and dropped me off there to pick up my car...the shop is only around the corner from my house, but i can confirm the wheel misalignment is gone (it is bang on straight now)...i'll likely confirm the vibration issue tomorrow as my commute will be much longer, but i'm confident they resolved it...the two cab rides were $92.50 total (which the shop covered), so they certainly weren't looking to make any money from me, they just wanted to fix the issue.

i did ask how the alignment issue seemed to come up after the the tire change and he said it might have something to do with how the tires wear...in that, the alignment may have been off for a while, but it happens slowly over time, and the tires may wear into it...then, when you put brand new tires on the vehicle, they are not worn into that pattern so the alignment issue is noticed right away...makes sense, i guess.

in any case, everything seems to be fixed now.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 20, 2018, 02:15:45 am »
My father had his winters changed over to the 3-season by KalTire and reported the pull-to-the-left as well (no vibration).  I'm interested to hear what they say - my dad's on a cruise from Singapore to RomeDubai, so he hasn't had his addressed as of yet (and I haven't driven it to experience the issue myself).
just as a follow up...

first off, let me start by saying the Tirecraft location here (Fanshawe Motors) has provided me with excellent service and have been great to deal with the entire time...when i called them a couple of days ago with my concerns, the concern was to ensure i was happy with my purchase and they showed genuine interest in resolving my issue to my satisfaction.

so, this morning, i dropped my car off, they called me a cab, and the cab took me to work...later on, they took the car for a short drive to verify the issue, which they confirmed...they re-balanced all tires and told me the two rear tires were off about 1/4 ounce, which would cause some slight vibrations mostly noticed at higher speeds (which is when i noticed it)...they also confirmed the slight pull to the left, so they switched the two front tires to determine if the issue followed the tires or not, then test drove the car again...the issue was still there, so the issue was not the tire, but the alignment (despite me paying $25 at the dealer to check it)...he mentioned some shops use a visual set up for alignment checking, which doesn't always work the best...their shop is the actual alignment machine where you hook all 4 wheels up...he printed off the results, which confirmed a misalignment in the front end...i gave him the go ahead to align the car ($100), which they did, then tested it again and confirmed everything was fixed...the cab picked me up from work and dropped me off there to pick up my car...the shop is only around the corner from my house, but i can confirm the wheel misalignment is gone (it is bang on straight now)...i'll likely confirm the vibration issue tomorrow as my commute will be much longer, but i'm confident they resolved it...the two cab rides were $92.50 total (which the shop covered), so they certainly weren't looking to make any money from me, they just wanted to fix the issue.

i did ask how the alignment issue seemed to come up after the the tire change and he said it might have something to do with how the tires wear...in that, the alignment may have been off for a while, but it happens slowly over time, and the tires may wear into it...then, when you put brand new tires on the vehicle, they are not worn into that pattern so the alignment issue is noticed right away...makes sense, i guess.

How dare you try to put this thread back on track . We were discussing pirates. ;D

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2018, 07:21:36 am »

just as a follow up...

And that is how things should always go, when something isn't quite right.  Good stuff.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 20, 2018, 07:40:57 am »
just as a side note, i'm thinking back to a couple of weeks ago and i did hit a big pot hole...perhaps the alignment got knocked out of whack there a bit...i remember the pot hole because i noticed it before there was any time to avoid it (and it was fairly big), but i was impressed at how the tire really seemed to soften the impact...it likely was still a pretty good jolt, but i was expecting it to be more...this was only a couple of days after i got the tires, so that may have been the source of the alignment problem.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 21, 2018, 02:02:52 pm »
Could be. I'm not sure how often alignment should be done... Depends so much on driving locales...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2018, 02:48:38 pm »
just as a side note, i'm thinking back to a couple of weeks ago and i did hit a big pot hole...perhaps the alignment got knocked out of whack there a bit...i remember the pot hole because i noticed it before there was any time to avoid it (and it was fairly big), but i was impressed at how the tire really seemed to soften the impact...it likely was still a pretty good jolt, but i was expecting it to be more...this was only a couple of days after i got the tires, so that may have been the source of the alignment problem.

Do you think you should refund the tire shop for the cab ride since the alignment was off probably do to the pot hole and ask Kia dealer for the refund of the alignment check ?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2018, 05:41:33 pm »
Could be. I'm not sure how often alignment should be done... Depends so much on driving locales...
my best guess is to get it done when you feel it needs it done...it's usually pretty evident when it needs to be done.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2018, 05:43:42 pm »
Do you think you should refund the tire shop for the cab ride since the alignment was off probably do to the pot hole and ask Kia dealer for the refund of the alignment check ?
the manager at the Kia dealership still hasn't called me back (i'm not really expecting him to)...it's not the end of the world, but i'll remember it.

i won't ask refund the ride, since they offered it (and i asked them if they were sure because it wouldn't be cheap)...also, i'm not 100% sure how the alignment issue happened, and they still had to re-balance the tires...as i said, i'm not overly happy with the dealership (lost my trust a bit) so perhaps any items i need servicing on, i'll just get them done at Tirecraft instead (reward them with repeat business).