Author Topic: Tesla Model S  (Read 97150 times)

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
Re: Tesla Model S
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2015, 12:39:49 pm »
FYI, prepare to buy lots of tires.  I know a few owners and they go through tires like crazy.

Hmm, there might be something to what you say, took it out for a casual ride last night to test out the J1772 EVSE adapter at a free charging station, and found it hard not to use all that torque...

The adapter worked, charged at 30km/h, which is much slower than the 50km/h I get on my home charging setup, but at least I know the public charging option works fine with my Tesla, just like it does with my Smart ED.
You mean kWh, right?
No. The Tesla reports charge speeds in both km of range added per hour, and KW of instantaneous current.   I reported the first.

50 km of range per hour.
About 6KW.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2015, 12:48:02 pm »
I imagine given b its significant weight and torque that yes, tire life is limited !

This is an awesome buy, well done. If you're ever driving in TO and you see someone on a bike or in a car waving, thumbs-uping and generally giving you the maddest of mad props for driving the Tesla - that's me.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2015, 01:17:21 pm »
Did you lease or buy ?
What is price of CPO S ?

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2015, 02:54:20 pm »
I used this app which scrapes the Tesla site every hour and summarizes the available and sold inventory.
http://logmysc.com/cpo-reports.php

Saved significant $ off new, but there is no indication this is not a new car based on how it drives (WOW) and looks (!!).

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +38/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2015, 05:06:48 pm »
Did you lease or buy ?
What is price of CPO S ?

These cars are not cheap around 85,000 plus tax.  Your not really saving. Your just driving the future.  although I think Hydrogen is the future. No doubt these are pretty special. The styling reminds me of a jag.   

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2015, 07:06:15 pm »
Yep, they don't exactly depreciate as fast as any other luxury brand, even Lexus. A 4-5 y.o. Lexus of comparable MSRP loses half of its value, Jaguars and other less reliable makes - even more. I suppose limited CPO inventory is the answer here along with genuine goodness of the Model S. 
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1160
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2015, 07:41:44 pm »
 :iagree:

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2015, 09:10:28 pm »
These cars are not cheap around 85,000 plus tax.  Your not really saving. Your just driving the future.

Well, I didn't pay that much for sure, or I would have bought a new Tesla 70D, yeah, it's not about saving money, I already have my Smart Electric car for my commute.  You got it, it's about driving the future today.  YOLO

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2015, 10:04:13 pm »
I used this app which scrapes the Tesla site every hour and summarizes the available and sold inventory.
http://logmysc.com/cpo-reports.php

Saved significant $ off new, but there is no indication this is not a new car based on how it drives (WOW) and looks (!!).

Thanks for the hint (link), I'll keep it in my back pocket for now  :P
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2015, 10:57:13 pm »
People don't buy anything other than a $2500 Toyota Echo to save money.  Everything else is spending more than you need for something you want.  Not a judgement - just an observation.

The Tesla is an amazing car that is a showcase for advanced technology and offers us a glimpse into the future of the automobile, and were I spending north of $50K on a car, I would be VERY tempted to buy one.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2015, 01:16:06 am »
Updated pictures:

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2015, 01:17:53 am »
Both of our electric cars are "minimalist" in their interior design, my Smart is refreshingly free of tech gadgets which would cause no end of distraction on my commute, sometimes simpler is better, and the Tesla is simple in a totally different way, just see this picture below, the clean lines of the interior, the single focal point of the 17" display, it's just brilliant, and a wonderful place to be when kids and adults are travelling together for hours together.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2015, 06:43:38 am »
Does the screen ever get washout by the the sun or by wearing  polarized sunglasses ?
Looks very nice

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2015, 07:13:06 am »
Updated pictures:

:drool:

There is some trace of rust on your rear disc. Maybe you should totally deactivate the regen for a while & use your brake pedal instead, you know, that is the one next to the accelerator  ;D ... just saying.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 07:14:47 am by me_2 »

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2015, 07:00:09 pm »
Does the screen ever get washout by the the sun or by wearing  polarized sunglasses ?
Looks very nice

That's a great question, turns out that the screen is very bright in daylight, even with the sunroof open, it is clear and legible.
In the daytime, the screen uses a color scheme of bright white background with black text.  The car auto detects night and switches to black background with white text.  The blue buttons stay blue.  You can override this behaviour and choose one of the schemes as permanent.

No issues with polarized sunglasses that I have seen, and I generally wear them as the tint on the car is factory stock.

My wife sat in a heavily tinted Tesla the other day when we were chatting with a fellow owner at a supercharger and didn't like how gloomy it felt inside.  We're sticking with the stock tint.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2015, 07:05:04 pm »

There is some trace of rust on your rear disc. Maybe you should totally deactivate the regen for a while & use your brake pedal instead, you know, that is the one next to the accelerator  ;D ... just saying.

I know right?!  I "cleaned" them last week by turning the regen to low, and doing some heavy stops at speed.  Given that 90% of the time the Tesla is driven with a full load of passengers, the brakes aren't used as heavily (to avoid the complaints about sore necks), as the regen generally does most of the stopping.

Same would happen to my electric Smart, if I you don't hammer the brakes periodically, the rust builds up, fortunately, I pretty much never have any rust on my Smart disks, wink.  ;-)

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2015, 09:58:26 pm »
We are getting a lot of attention with this car.

.  Local box store, drive up to have heavy item loaded, the employees gather round and ask questions and compliment the car.   Pretty much stop traffic in the front of the store while they gather around.

.  Red light.  Porsche 911 rolls down window and says "nice car" with big thumbs up.  Obligatory demo of instant torque follows on green light.

.  Contractor is over doing some work and comments "You didn't have that Tesla last week.  I've got to call my buddy over to see this car, he is a massive Tesla fan".

.  Neighbour (with Prius and solar panels) says "I was jealous when you got that little Smart electric car, I am way more jealous now that you have the Tesla!".

.  In the food store mall, guy walks up within a foot of the car while groceries are being loaded and says "all electric right!?".  Long conversation ensues with details of charging, our Toronto to NY road trip, etc.

.  My son's friends at the fitness center come up to the car, "the Mercedes was OK, but this Tesla is amazing".  They all comment they'd far rather be seen in this car than the previous one.  "Snapchats" are taken.

.  Various people ask about charging, range, price when we enter/exit car at various locations like DQ, Starbucks, etc.

.  Kid at Timmies take out window calls over fellow employees to "see the Tesla!!".  Asks "is it awesome?!".  Me "oh yeah".

My wife is extremely surprised by the attention the car gets.  She has a new story every single day, no kidding.
The general consensus when we tell people a cheaper Tesla is coming in a few years, is they are going to get one.

Meanwhile, I am commuting in my Smart and still loving it.  I haven't told my parents, coworkers or even close friends about the Tesla, they'll see it when they see it, not making a big deal of it on purpose.  I was far more effusive about my Smart ED, and still am.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2015, 10:08:50 pm »
. A fellow in his mid 30's with long cascading hair pulls up on a donkey. "I would drive that". [vanishes without a warning into thin air]  ;D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 10:10:42 pm by EV Dan »

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2015, 11:32:56 pm »
 :rofl2:
Trying to understand is that is some internet meme, so I googled and came across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD3to1sWTMY

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2015, 02:37:02 pm »
We are getting a lot of attention with this car.

.  Local box store, drive up to have heavy item loaded, the employees gather round and ask questions and compliment the car.   Pretty much stop traffic in the front of the store while they gather around.

.  Red light.  Porsche 911 rolls down window and says "nice car" with big thumbs up.  Obligatory demo of instant torque follows on green light.

.  Contractor is over doing some work and comments "You didn't have that Tesla last week.  I've got to call my buddy over to see this car, he is a massive Tesla fan".

.  Neighbour (with Prius and solar panels) says "I was jealous when you got that little Smart electric car, I am way more jealous now that you have the Tesla!".

.  In the food store mall, guy walks up within a foot of the car while groceries are being loaded and says "all electric right!?".  Long conversation ensues with details of charging, our Toronto to NY road trip, etc.

.  My son's friends at the fitness center come up to the car, "the Mercedes was OK, but this Tesla is amazing".  They all comment they'd far rather be seen in this car than the previous one.  "Snapchats" are taken.

.  Various people ask about charging, range, price when we enter/exit car at various locations like DQ, Starbucks, etc.

.  Kid at Timmies take out window calls over fellow employees to "see the Tesla!!".  Asks "is it awesome?!".  Me "oh yeah".

My wife is extremely surprised by the attention the car gets.  She has a new story every single day, no kidding.

I believe that, for sure!  It's a gorgeous, amazing car.   :heart: