Author Topic: 2010 Hyundai Accent (Manual) to 2010 Ford Fusion (Auto) - A Smart Idea?  (Read 3021 times)

Offline contented

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Accent
Hi everyone!

Thanks very much for providing this resource.

My father-in-law is purchasing a new car and is offering his 2010 Ford Fusion to us for free. We currently own a 2010 Hyundai Accent and are considering moving to the Fusion. Here are the relevant details:

2010 Hyundai Accent

130,000km

4-cylinder

Manual Transmission

Crankshaft position sensor has died three times in the past three years

Frankly, is ugly as sin

2010 Ford Fusion

130,000km

4-cylinder

Automatic Transmission

No major maintenance issues, just usual wear. Otherwise in pristine condition

The Ford Fusion is much more luxurious, not to mention comfortable, but we are concerned that the maintenance will be more costly and onerous in the long term. Have any of you had any experience with this model? The car presently has no problems, but what will the next 80k km look like? How is the fuel economy? My partner likes how simple the maintenance is on the Hyundai; can we expect the same with the Ford?

Thanks for the help!

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Do it. Fusion will feel like a Cadillac moving from an econobox. If it's well maintained in terms of oil and other fluid changes then chances are you'll be happy with the upgrade.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Go with the Fusion.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 10:33:08 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
From what I understand the Fusion is pretty reliable, ie the Car Wizard here at 4.15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vnx_hT2wYQ

Likely better than the Accent.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Its a bigger car....thats about where the positives end.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5

The Accent isn't what I would call super reliable, either.  Just look at the litany of problems that dirtyjeffer has been having with his Rio, the Accent's sister car. 

That generation of Fusion, on the other hand, would appear to be reliable. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300

The Accent isn't what I would call super reliable, either.  Just look at the litany of problems that dirtyjeffer has been having with his Rio, the Accent's sister car. 

But its a Hyundai to a Ford....its more of a lateral rather than upward move, except for the space. I know that Hyundais are on the whole very disposable razors type of cars, but its a Ford. I would go for it though, its a free car.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5

But its a Hyundai to a Ford....its more of a lateral rather than upward move, except for the space. I know that Hyundais are on the whole very disposable razors type of cars, but its a Ford. I would go for it though, its a free car.

It's a Hyundai sh!tbox econocar to a nice midsize sedan.  That's quite the difference.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
What part of the country are you located in ? Check for rocker panel rust  . If it has been regularly undercoated shouldn't be a problem.

Did you mention engine size ? The V6 will like more fuel than your Accent.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 09:11:37 am by Seafoam »
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
The first-gen Fusion is a first-gen Mazda6 with a wheelbase stretch. The 4 cyl. engine, Mazda-sourced, is more reliable than the V6, prone to various gremlins (I know, I had a Mazda MPV with that engine).

The 4-cyl. Fusion is just about the most reliable car Ford made, and 2010 was the year of the mid-cycle update. Depending on colors / trim, it was a pretty sharp car. Besides, at 10 y.o., your main issue is rust - if none present, then it's a great move! There's no turbos or DCT to go wrong, just conventional fwd systems with great indy support.

At 10 years of age, and higher km's, the Hyundai will start to age faster.

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +38/-239
    • View Profile
I would say neither. better of going either Toyota or Honda, if you can.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Don't be ridiculous, man.   ::)

They already own the Hyundai and they're getting the Ford for free.  No out of pocket cost for either.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile

They already own the Hyundai and they're getting the Ford for free.  No out of pocket cost for either.

I still say No, Flog the Fusion and Accent, and by a Toyota, or Honda. You know it make sense Lol.  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

I still say No, Flog the Fusion and Accent, and by a Toyota, or Honda. You know it make sense Lol.  ;D

It makes zero sense at all.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile

It makes zero sense at all.

Well, Okay, If I had to it would be the Fusion, I think.  :P Hopefully the best things in life are Free, illegal, or Amoral, and not necessary in that order.  :run:

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Make the switch.

If in Ontario, no sales tax from parents to children.

Get it Krowned asap.  Not too late.  Do it now in the summer.  Just once will go along way particularly for the brake and fuel lines.